Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-01-15, 02:21 PM  
Yelly

Using videos at the gym = my new perfect combo!!

The day my kids started school again (last Wednesday) I joined the gym for the first time in probably 10 years. I can't believe how much I missed that atmosphere! I find it super motivating, and it has helped me find my workout groove again!

The one thing that concerned me with joining a gym again was how I was going to find time to use all of my favorite fitness videos, because I knew I would start missing them. Well, I found the perfect solution! I downloaded all the videos I wanted to use at the gym onto my phone, got a set of bluetooth headphones, and now I just do my workout videos at the gym using my phone! It has worked out perfectly! (You could use a tablet, but I use an iPhone 6+ and it's plenty big enough for me, and more portable)

For instance, I go to the gym at their slowest time of the day, and their spin room/yoga studio is always empty during that time. So for my last workout, I did one of my spin videos (on one of their brand new spin bikes!), and afterwards did a stretch video - and it was like working out in my very own private studio (since I was the only one in the room, ha ha!) After that I went down to the weight room and worked my chest with one of my Cathe videos, and finished it with 4 or 5 chest exercises on the machines that they have. Other days I've done a TA video in the studio room (again, all to myself - lol!), or one of my kettlebell videos. They also have steps in that room, as well as heavy bags, so I could do any number of videos there if I wanted to!

So, does anyone else do this? Do you find it as fun as I do? I've found that it's really added a new dimension to my workouts, and it's like the best of both worlds - using the videos (and instructors) that I love, along with all of the equipment that a gym has to offer!
Yelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-15, 02:32 PM  
sciencelady

Yup, I love doing my exercise videos in the gym when I can't make the regularly scheduled classes. I've got a DVD player and my videos stashed in back (its a small gym at work) and can plug into one of the TVs in the exercise room - still haven't done the hand-held downloads though. I do kettlebells, kickboxing, yoga, and TRX style workout videos for the most part.
sciencelady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-15, 05:27 PM  
Yelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by sciencelady View Post
Yup, I love doing my exercise videos in the gym when I can't make the regularly scheduled classes. I've got a DVD player and my videos stashed in back (its a small gym at work) and can plug into one of the TVs in the exercise room - still haven't done the hand-held downloads though. I do kettlebells, kickboxing, yoga, and TRX style workout videos for the most part.
How cool you have an actual tv to use for your videos! That would be the perfect setup!
Old 09-02-15, 06:33 AM  
Zenara25

I did that once on a cruise vacation in the gym. I used my iPad. So much fun being able to do my workouts and to not disturb others. Loved it! DH tried it soon after and now uses the Bluetooth set all the time even when doing yard work. So happy I made that purchase
Zenara25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-15, 06:47 AM  
Chomper

Just wanted to say great picture, Yelly. I love your hair!
Chomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-15, 11:38 AM  
Yelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenara25 View Post
I did that once on a cruise vacation in the gym. I used my iPad. So much fun being able to do my workouts and to not disturb others. Loved it! DH tried it soon after and now uses the Bluetooth set all the time even when doing yard work. So happy I made that purchase
That's what I love too! With my headphones on, I can still have privacy (in a way), but still be surrounded by all the energy from the gym. I've also mowed the lawn with my headphones - makes the time go by so fast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomper View Post
Just wanted to say great picture, Yelly. I love your hair!
Thanks so much!!
Old 09-02-15, 12:03 PM  
mmis29

I do! I subscribe to BB and Cathe on demand and like you go into the studio when it is empty. Great idea on the Bluetooth headphones! I use an armband but it gets uncomfortable at times. I think I am going to switch to downloads vs. the on demands. I find I am using the same workouts that adapt well to the gym over and over so it will likely be cheaper. I'm just not sure how that would pan out with the P90X3's I love so much.
Old 09-02-15, 12:25 PM  
Yelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmis29 View Post
I do! I subscribe to BB and Cathe on demand and like you go into the studio when it is empty. Great idea on the Bluetooth headphones! I use an armband but it gets uncomfortable at times. I think I am going to switch to downloads vs. the on demands. I find I am using the same workouts that adapt well to the gym over and over so it will likely be cheaper. I'm just not sure how that would pan out with the P90X3's I love so much.
I tried using wired headphones, and I got so tangled up, ugh - ha ha! The Bluetooth works so much better. When I'm doing cardio on the machines and just want to use my phone for music, I got one of those FlipBelts, and that works well - even with that huge iphone. When I'm doing an actual video, I just set my phone up so I can see it, and so far I've had no problem following along.

For strength work, I've been editing some Cathe videos that I own, for the body parts I want to work in the gym. I'll probably do the same with Body Beast too. I was using the Plex app to sync my videos to my phone, but yesterday my subscription with them ran out (and I didn't feel like paying for another year), so I just synced using iTunes instead. It worked out just as well as Plex, so I think I'll just use that from now on, since it's free.

It's funny, I've been trying to figure out how to use P90X3 at the gym too!
Old 09-02-15, 01:15 PM  
mmis29

"It's funny, I've been trying to figure out how to use P90X3 at the gym too!"

For P90X3, the most challenging thing for me is location. Tony goes pretty quickly from pull ups to other exercises, which for me means running from the pull up assist machine to an area where I can drop down to the floor for push ups, for example.
Old 09-02-15, 01:24 PM  
Yelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmis29 View Post
"It's funny, I've been trying to figure out how to use P90X3 at the gym too!"

For P90X3, the most challenging thing for me is location. Tony goes pretty quickly from pull ups to other exercises, which for me means running from the pull up assist machine to an area where I can drop down to the floor for push ups, for example.
Exactly! That's my problem too! The pull-up assist machine is downstairs, and the studio room is upstairs. I'd have to rethink things to figure out a way to make it work.

Tags
gym, gym membership, videos at the gym