Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-31-15, 06:35 PM  
lorajc

Another Kundalini Yoga Thread - Results!

Hi, (long...prepare in advance or just read a paragraph or so - I'm passionate about this)

I've been doing Kundalini on a pretty much daily basis for about 5 months now pretty much in addition to my regular workouts, however, (I've been doing Kundalini though for about 15 years) if I get sick with the flu or have back pain, I have been known, to skip my regular workouts and simply do Kundalini, as I'm finding at age 56 (in Oct) that health has become more important to me at this age, listening to my body FINALLY and controlling my blood pressure, keeping my organs healthy, etc. and all of these great benefits that KY brings you.

Other than that, my husband does these with me, as he started because he injured his back (as many of you know I also suffer with herniated discs in my neck and back) and thru this type of yoga he has pretty much gotten himself to wear his pain that was shooting down his legs has gotten better....it's not gone....but he's been able to start to jog lightly again....where he was only able to walk for a while due to his injury. He started them for his back - but now he just loves them for the workouts that they ARE and me also!!

I just want to say that recently, I started the 21 Day Fix container diet and was sick with the flu last week and only did strictly KY yoga for the 1.5 weeks of the first 3 weeks fo the program, and I've lost 7 pounds so far.

As far as strength, KY DVDs that used to be difficult for me to get thru are becoming easier for the most part. I am getting stronger in my core and everywhere. My DH is also!!

As far as stress levels, my DH has a high pressure job and is a Manager and finds himself juggling everything at ease and with less stress at his job and not worrying about getting it all done like he usually does and even humming Sat Nam thru the day. My stress level is better and it helps my pain. I sell on Ebay and am in the process of getting a biz started on my own....selling Perfume Oils. I've been very stressed with that...but trying to control it with this.

As far as those who don't think this is a workout, think again my friend....Kundalini Yoga is a wonderful workout and that's partly why I am enjoying it so much. Today we did the Five Tibetan Rite's....which are no joke and we both got thru them without taking a break and felt so accomplished! Some DVDs are so hard that we love the challenge......when you are doing a never ending set....and you break thru that feeling of having to go on "forever" and bust thru to the other side, you get that kundalini high....it's fun to push thru and persevere.....as Ravi likes to say!!

Any way - if you've wanted to cross-train and need to mix up your routine....I can't say enough good things about this form of exercise. My Ravi Ana DVDs are the most used DVDs in my collection, they get used every day. I have purchased Gurmukh.....although I'm a bit afraid to try them yet.....I told my DH today that we will have to try one of hers soon. If you have an injury, of course check with your doctor, my doctor actually has told me to do yoga twice a week in my routine....so I was cleared ahead of time and also if something doesn't feel right, I find ways to modify and use common sense.

Just wanted to let everyone know of my experiences with KY.
lorajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-15, 06:49 PM  
cpcathy

Congrats on your results!

I would love DH to do my Raviana DVDs with me, but he's a stubborn one!

Nobody Said It was Easy.... --The Scientist
cpcathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-15, 08:51 PM  
Gale K.
VF Supporter

Congrats Lora! I know that health and fitness has been somewhat of a struggle for you over the last several months, and it sounds like you have found what works for you. I love Kundalini Yoga too, but don't practice enough...been super stressed lately and when I need it the most is when I don't do it! Thanks for the inspiration.

The winds of grace are blowing all the time--all we need to do is raise our sails.
-Rama Krishna, as quoted by Baron Baptiste
Gale K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-15, 09:34 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Yes, congratulations -- sounds like you've found a winning combo, plus your attitude probably helps a whole lot too. Woot! And I'm also envious about your husband doing KY with you!
bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-15, 05:46 AM  
Sophb21

I've been pretty curious about these. I haven't tried any of the workouts but when the new DVD was posted I thought it sounded perfect for where hubby and I are at mentally. We were both in a car accident in March and are suffering from soft tissue damage to the point of being on loads of medication and also not being able to work (it's killing us being so helpless!). I was hoping to get into this series but looking more at a breathing/meditation type of DVD and not so much the physical part because we aren't able to do that part and won't be for several months.

Is there one or some you could recommend that might fit this criteria?

Also I read on a Facebook group I belong to that Kundalini Yoga can be an emotional type of yoga that can open a lot of energy and result in physical effects. As I said were in a lot of medication due to pain so I don't know if it's a good idea for now.

Thanks for any insight you may be able to provide
Sophb21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-15, 07:02 AM  
laurajhawk

Soph - They do have a Meditation DVD which is quite good and has lots of options.
In regard to the mental/emotional effects, I would say DO try kundalini, it may help a lot, but do NOT continue to do any move or any practice that causes you pain or distress.

Congrats to Lora on great results!

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy

Last edited by laurajhawk; 09-01-15 at 08:15 AM. Reason: added direction
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-15, 07:37 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Congratulations! I wish my DH would try something from my library - my QiGong and Pilates workouts would help his back problems exponentially - but he prefers to suffer. I don't understand why - my Lee Holden DVDs feature a guy in a sweatshirt! I don't know why he has this mental block against them.

Your DH gets a star for working out with you to DVDs that are that far off the main stream.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-15, 08:11 AM  
sherry7899

Lora-I am so happy you found something that works for you-congratulations!

Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-15, 09:23 PM  
YogaGal

Thanks for sharing you Kundalini love story here, Lora!

So glad that both you and your husband are receiving such great benefits from your practice.

FYI: I posted a link this post on the KY Check-In for September in case our group over there missed seeing it here.
Old 09-03-15, 08:54 AM  
fuzzie
VF Supporter

Lora, thank you for sharing your fantastic results and congratulations!! I think it's even more amazing that your DH practices with you and that you both reap the benefits
fuzzie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kundalini results, kundalini yoga