Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-02-15, 07:41 PM  
donnamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitstick View Post
I'm not sure if anyone else has had this experience, but I can no longer tolerate red wine. It gives me horrible night sweats and affects my sleep. I've been fine tuning my diet (I need to lose some weight, never had that problem until now) and no longer look forward to hi impact workouts like I used to, have switched to lower impact. I also try to get more walking in as well since that is always enjoyable for me. I've also heard that soy is beneficial at this time in life..
This (wine) is my second worst nightmare!

Actually, sugar (and alcohol is sugar) is the enemy of my sleep. I can drink a cup of full caffeine coffee and go to bed and sleep - but too much sugar and I'm done for the night. I also have really weird dreams if I have too much sugar.

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-15, 08:11 PM  
Footballnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitstick View Post
I'm not sure if anyone else has had this experience, but I can no longer tolerate red wine. It gives me horrible night sweats and affects my sleep. I've been fine tuning my diet (I need to lose some weight, never had that problem until now) and no longer look forward to hi impact workouts like I used to, have switched to lower impact. I also try to get more walking in as well since that is always enjoyable for me. I've also heard that soy is beneficial at this time in life..
Pretty much any alcohol gives me night sweats. :-/
Old 09-03-15, 08:14 AM  
superfit41
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherimac View Post
Carol, thanks for the article.

Sherry~wow, I'm 50 and started having odd periods by 46. Maybe you'll be a lucky one who just has them like clockwork until one day nothing. My MIL was like that.
Oh Cheri, I can only dream!
superfit41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-15, 08:15 AM  
superfit41
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Footballnut View Post
Pretty much any alcohol gives me night sweats. :-/
I used to like to have a glass of wine occasionally, but I stopped because of this. I would get so overheated during the night, and not sleep well!
superfit41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-15, 09:35 AM  
donnamp

Aside from my jokes earlier about coffee and wine, I'm not really having any menopausal or perimenopausal symptoms - I'm going to be 48 in Nov. But I have been lucky overall in that I never suffered PMS either.

But, as I age I do have a lot more in the way of aches and pains. I also can't deal w/ DOMS any more. If I get too sore I am almost ill from it - so I try to keep my workouts more moderate. I need a lot more stretching and "therapy" type routines in my workout plan.

I think this is a rough time of life overall - many of us are facing issues with aging parents, children and our own health/spouse's/significant other's health. Guess all we can do is keep on keeping on.......

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-15, 12:01 PM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Anyone read a good book on this subject? I know Christine Northrup's book is considered good, but the reviews on Amazon mention that it's pretty "new age-y" and that sort of approach simply doesn't interest me.

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-15, 06:47 PM  
bfit

I don't know if I'm contributing much more to all of the excellent posts here, but I found that the intenser the exercise the better off I was. I never had any serious issues - mostly just night sweats that interrupted my sleep - but no hot flashes during the day, no mood swings, etc. My doctor said she thought exercise was at least part of the reason I didn't have such a hard time.

Also, there's a book that was very helpful to me called "Is It Hot in Here or Is It Just Me?". It's in question and answer form and covers just about everything that happens at menopause. It's got a lot of good medical information in it, but is very readable. Somehow it was reassuring to me to know that so many people experience these things that an entire book was devoted to it!
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-15, 07:39 PM  
mizach
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by andtckrtoo View Post
About 15 years ago, I climbed Mt. Whitney. At the top I met a man who had done the John Muir Trail thru hike in a week (it normally takes 3 weeks), and was turning around to hike back the way he came. I met him at the top of Whitney (the highest mountain in the lower 48). He was about 6 foot, had a robust upper body (barrel chested and bellied - but he was not fat), and slim legs. Looked about 45/50. He was 79. He may be the exception, but he was pretty phenomenal. I want to be like him when I grow up.
I saw several old couples while hiking in Alaska. They were still very energetic and there I was, almost dying.

I salute you for climbing Mt. Whitney!
mizach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-15, 08:36 AM  
cmarsh4

I turned 50 this year and I am in full menopause I have luckily not had any insomnia or fatigue. I run 3 miles 4 to 5 times a week on my lunch hour and do a circuit or barre workout 30 minutes a day at 4:30 in the morning. I have lost 48lbs since January with clean eating and consistent exercise. I started running 5 K's this year and I am gradually but slowly getting faster. I do have an occasional hot flashes and night sweats are common but don't seem to interrupt my sleep very much. I know when I was heavier and didn't exercise the hot flashes and mood swings were worse so in my case the exercise has really helped.
cmarsh4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-15, 02:16 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmarsh4 View Post
I have lost 48lbs since January with clean eating and consistent exercise.
that's awesome!

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aging, hormonal replacement, hormones, menopause, old thread alert, over 50, peri-menopause, perimenopause