Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-26-17, 03:58 PM  
bayportsmom

Happy hysterectomy stories?...... anyone?

Hey everyone! I'm scheduled for a total hysterectomy (uterus and ovaries) on Monday. OMG!! Everything I can find online talks about a 15-30 pound weight gain in the first year, hip and back pain, fatigue, incontinence and on and on and on..... I'm already 20-30 pounds over where I want to be, and I was (naively?) hoping that getting off the hormone roller coaster would help! (My doctor said I'd immediately start an estrogen patch)

In my mind I have a plan of recovering quickly, walking, working up to maybe classical stretch, side lying leg work, unweighted arms etc. and then gradually getting into strength training again. I'm sure I'm going to have to accept a life full of many more vegetables than I'm used to as well!

Does anyone have a hysterectomy experience that will NOT send me into a panic? Anything positive? Please share! 😊
Old 04-26-17, 04:49 PM  
MomOf2Gremlins

I don't have any input, but wanted to wish you well and a speedy recovery!

"Change what you can. Accept what you can't. Live peacefully with all that's left."

MomOf2Gremlins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-17, 05:01 PM  
meg39

I had a hysterectomy 3 years ago, a year following a bilateral mastectomy. Compared to the mastectomy, the hysterectomy was a walk in the park (after I got over the anesthesia nausea). Are you having a cut, or are they taking it vaginally (which is how they did mine). I've heard that the incision type are MUCH harder to recover from.

I resumed walking within a week, and probably started light workouts (like Bar Method Beginners) within about 3 weeks.

I have been on an anti-estrogen drug for breast cancer for almost 5 years, and I've probably gained around 8 pounds from before I started taking it. Its really hard to lose weight, but I didn't experience any horrific weight gain.

I think you might experience pain and fatigue while your body is recovering, but other than that it's not too bad. I guess my experience might be different than yours since I'm on other medication.

Hope this helps. If you have any other questions, please ask. Please don't be afraid of this procedure
meg39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-17, 05:19 PM  
MoFirmer

bayportsmom - First off... I wish you well with your surgery and a speedy recovery! I had a total hysterectomy 8 years ago when I had breast cancer. I did experience 15# in weight gain and have taken part of it off. I started out with light walking and waited the 6 weeks till I was healed to do more. I worked back up with my weights. I am not on any medication/hormone replacement due to my cancer. I haven't noticed any pain or horror stories with mine here. It really has been all good!
Old 04-26-17, 05:19 PM  
mandie123

I had a hysterectomy 15 years ago.Really no prob at all,they put a patch on immediately after as Dr said I'd be having hot flashes etc etc,well it caused more migraines for me,so i stopped and still never had any hot flashes or anything really.Also,no weight gain,til recently(but I think that's just from getting older lol) Mine was done llaparoscopic,went home the next day.
Old 04-26-17, 06:05 PM  
muggle

I had a partial hysterectomy (still have my ovaries) about 10 years ago. It was one of the best decisions I've ever made. I went home the same day. I had no weight gain as I was and still am pretty active. I never regretted it. I hope your surgery goes well and you have a smooth recovery. Don't believe everything you read online. Just listen to your doctor and follow the advice given. Move when you feel up to it but don't over do it. It takes a while and everyone is different. Allow yourself the time you need. Best wishes to you.
muggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-17, 06:21 PM  
DonnaMarie

No Panic

I hope for you this is a good reply. I had my gear removed at 28 yo. I did not gain weight, was put on Premarin immediately after the surgery (incision) and had "personal summers" only for a short time after the Premarin was stopped. It was a happy experience as I was in so much pain from fibroids and ovarian cysts at such a young age. Fortunately, I managed to birth my son before all this kicked in. Just for the record, after the surgery, I never felt better. I wish you a similar experience and please report your progress. Best to you - Also, there is a network called Hyster-Sisters and it may or may not help. Best to you and Namaste.
Old 04-26-17, 07:15 PM  
Betty Boop

Total hysterectomy back in 2000 when I was 56. No weight gain.

When the question of taking estrogen came up after surgery, I said that I would take the tiniest amount. I was told there was only one amount that was larger, so I opted to not take any at all. No hot flashes and no problems.

Hope everything works well for you!
Old 04-26-17, 07:16 PM  
bayportsmom

Thank you everyone, I appreciate every reply! I knew you would help me feel better. First, I'm pretty fit and healthy ( thanks in part to this forum) Second, I'm NOT battling cancer as some of you did. And third, I'll be having the easier laparoscopic assisted vaginal hysterectomy, no big incision! So I really have it pretty good, and I'm hoping for a much improved quality of life.
Old 04-26-17, 07:31 PM  
bayportsmom

I'm still really interested in hormone experiences too! I'll talk to my doctor more, but it sounded like estrogen was really encouraged because of the abrupt "surgical menopause". I'm 46, and had been trying to deal with all these symptoms, assuming they must be due to "getting older" & hormone changes. Turns out, the symptoms were caused by fibroids & I wish I would have addressed it sooner.

My mom had a hysterectomy (kept ovaries) in her 30's and didn't have any hormone replacement until she was about my age, when she became really depressed and anxious. She said it helped a lot, and they took her off of it at 55 because of my grandmas (her mothers) history of breast cancer.

Anyway, I will listen to my doctor - but I'm also really interested in the experience of others- especially others who are into fitness and/or (like me) already struggling with their weight.

Again, thanks so much! I appreciate every single reply, even if I don't thank you individually!

Tags
abdominal surgery, hysterectomy, pretzel