Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-28-16, 05:47 AM  
bex

Talk to me about assisted pull ups

I've decided - one of my goals for my 50th year (which started last month) is to be able to bang out at least 5 unassisted pull ups.

At the moment I'm not even close. Probably can't even manage a static hang, but I figure I can work my way up.

I'm going to use the Smith machine at the gym as my pull up bar. There are no suitable doorways in my house, and I can't mount anything on the walls or ceiling.

Would you recommend I buy pull up bands (and if so, what kind), or a TRX?
bex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-16, 06:29 AM  
Jeanne Marie

Does your gym have an assisted pull up machine? That is what has really helped me the most with pull ups. The heavier the weight selection, the easier the pull up because the weight assists you. As you get stronger, you can lower your weight. Finally, you'll be so strong you won't need any weight... it will just be your body weight.

Assisted Pull Up Machine
Old 06-28-16, 06:46 AM  
bex

Jeanne Marie

Unfortunately not. They only have a lat pull down machine, which I've heard is pretty much useless.
Old 06-28-16, 08:01 AM  
Terry

There are a lot of "don'ts" available to read on the Internet about using bands. The article I've read say don't even use bands, but you can read the reasons why and make adjustments so that you don't do the wrong things - - - seems to me anyway.

At least two sources I've read talked about the bands keeping you from setting your shoulders correctly. Here is one of those: http://moveskill.com/2014/07/elastic...ess-than-good/

I haven't tried to use my band "correctly" after reading up on all the what-not-to-dos; I just went back to removing some leg weight out of the move by resting my feet on a stool below my bar at home. When I was doing a gym class, my only choice was a band because there wasn't anything tall enough to help me with leg dead weight.
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-16, 08:33 AM  
desie

The lat pull down machine is a helpful starting point. These are some things it lets you do. You can go quite slow, and pause, working on your range of motion through the scapulae and shoulders. You can work on lifting your chest and repositioning your shoulders wide and away from you ears so that your lats are engaging. You can rest your hands often, and experiment with the best way to grip the bar. A heavier weight will pinch your palms and give you callouses, and your grip strength may wear out. You can back off and re-check your position if you feel strain in your forearms. You can do reps at different weights for each set. And you can start at a very light weight - 15 lbs! and work on it over the months to get up to 60 or 70 lbs.
desie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-16, 08:45 AM  
buffmama

There are ways to start using the edge of a table and lying underneath or putting your feet underneath it that are supposed to simulate a pull up more than using bands. Here is the video someone else had posted: https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...3D&FORM=VRDGAR
Old 06-28-16, 11:27 AM  
beyond.omega
VF Supporter

Since you are using the Smith machine at the gym, you can keep the bar low bar low and do your pull-ups at an angle (like in that table pull-up video.) You can also keep a stool under one foot and work at using it less.

Thanks for starting this thread. I didn't realize the there are issues with the pull-up assist bands. I always though I would get them when the time came for me to do my pull-up training, but I guess its not as good as some cheaper, more accessible, alternatives.
beyond.omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-16, 08:28 PM  
bex

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyond.omega View Post
...I didn't realize the there are issues with the pull-up assist bands...
I'm surprised too - I thought I'd get votes and recommendations for the brands people have discussed before on the forum - which seem to be mostly Woody and Perform Better, maybe some cheaper alternatives.

Plus of course the inevitable enablement to try both, and TRX is great too..

I intend to start with using the Smith machine for inverted rows as you & buffmama suggested (my arthritic hands absolutely won't allow to use a table top), but many of the articles I've read say you need to move on from that to some kind of upright pull-up.

I guess I'll try using a bench/support from my legs and if that doesn't work for me, I might try the bands anyway. I'm pretty kinestetically aware, so I think I can activate the shoulders correctly.
Old 06-29-16, 12:09 AM  
smilingwolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry View Post
At least two sources I've read talked about the bands keeping you from setting your shoulders correctly. Here is one of those: http://moveskill.com/2014/07/elastic...ess-than-good/
Thanks for this link. Great videos on the website on how to do assisted chin-ups. I saw techniques that I have never seen before. I might be ditching my bands for now. But, I still think they did help me, despite what the article claims.
smilingwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-16, 10:47 AM  
Susan H
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by smilingwolf View Post
Thanks for this link. Great videos on the website on how to do assisted chin-ups. I saw techniques that I have never seen before. I might be ditching my bands for now. But, I still think they did help me, despite what the article claims.
Yes, thank you so much. Very helpful.

“Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up" —Thomas Edison

“Just because you’re not sick doesn’t mean you’re healthy.” — Author Unknown
Susan H is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pull up help, pull ups, pull-up bands, trx