Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-07-16, 06:18 PM  
lorajc

What are More Beg/intermediate Rotation Programs?

OK.....so I asked the question on how to stick to a rotation and got lots of good answers.......my next question...is what are good ones to try that won't be too advanced for me since I'm just getting used to regular exercise again after recovering from a rash of several injuries?

As far as what I have.......I have a lot.......most Beach body Programs and a lot of other popular ones ....jumped on every band wagon when I was working.... It's just over the last 4 years when I lost my job that I slowed down buying so go ahead and let me know which ones are good to be modified down to beg/int level.

Thanks in advance. Of course I need to lose 50/lbs and want to tone bld muscle as much as I can.......oh and I have kettlebells.
lorajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-16, 06:32 PM  
bubbles76

• Kathy Smith Project You
  • Powerfit
  • Firm Express
  • Chris Freytag 10 Pound Slimdown
  • 10 Minute Solution dvds - I think there is a rotation out there somewhere with six workouts
  • Firm 12 Minute Time Crunch Weights can be alernated with the 12 Minute Time Crunch Cardio
  • Fitness Favorites Fit Prime & Kickbutt Parts: 6 Day Trainer 6 Day Slam
  • Jessica Smith rotations - This thread shows some using her youtube channel AND if you scroll down it shows using her dvds. She also has the Walk Strong and Walk On 21 Day Weight Loss Plan dvds that have the rotations included.

This is all I can think of for now as far as systems.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-16, 07:45 AM  
eam531
VF Supporter

Here are some ideas. Given your injuries I'm not sure whether some of them would be appropriate, and probably all of them have exercises that would need to be modified.

Power 90 by Tony Horton. I did the old one--the one everyone thought was so boring. Perhaps it is boring, but I stuck with it for the entire 90 days because it was so easy to follow and did not require equipment other than dumbbells or bands and a mat. I bought the reboot (P90) and didn't like it as much. The exercises were more "interesting" but it did require a pullup bar or a way to mimic one, and I just didn't want to deal with that, or the "interesting" exercises. If you like Tony Horton (surprisingly, I did), you might want to investigate these. Folks here on VF have said that P90X3 is a 30 minute program that is easy to modify. If you have P90X, you could do a halfsies rotation and substitute kundalini yoga for the power yoga workout.

Another program I liked was Rushfit. All you need is a couple of dumbbells and a mat. There is a modifier and you can always modify even further. I did this on some of the exercises because my knees are bad. I liked this program a LOT. For me it was an excellent functional fitness regimen and I did see gains in strength, balance, and flexibility.

DDP Yoga is another program to consider if you don't already have it. It is aimed mostly at people who are heavy and/or new to exercise and/or inflexible, although I did it and still use it, and I am none of those things. It is a terrific bodyweight workout. There is a cardio component (dynamic resistance which is supposed to get your heart rate up into the fat burning zone) but I'll be honest--that isn't the reason people lose weight on DDPY. The reason people who stick with the program lose so much weight is because there is a dietary component that is even more important than the exercises. People will not lose weight on this program (or any program) if they don't make some radical changes to their diet. DDP is a very inspiring and motivating instructor and there are modifiers in every workout. It's a well-designed program.

My opinion about rotations--I think it's pretty easy to develop your own. It gets tiresome seeing the same instructor and background exercisers for 3 months, no matter how good the program is. Since you have a lot of videos, you could put together a beginner/intermediate rotation of 3 days strength, 2 days cardio, and 1 day yoga. You'd be less apt to get bored that way.

There is no way of telling people they are all walking around shining like the sun--Thomas Merton

People have done all kinds of remarkable things because they thought they could. People routinely fail to do quite ordinary things because they assume they can't--Reinhard Engels

Stay gold, Ponyboy--S.E. Hinton

Pick up your crazy heart and give it one more try--Ryan Bingham

Disclosure: I have a personal relationship with a fitness instructor who has appeared in some videos.
eam531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-16, 08:43 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eam531 View Post
... Folks here on VF have said that P90X3 is a 30 minute program that is easy to modify. ...
I recently purchased P90X3. I previewed a few of the workouts and promptly returned it. Even with modifications it is too much if someone has injuries or other issues. IMHO.

Slim In 6 is a good program for beginner/low intermediate. You can make it more intense as you progress.

Leslie's new Miracle Miles set sounds good, too!

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-16, 10:37 AM  
eam531
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
I recently purchased P90X3. I previewed a few of the workouts and promptly returned it. Even with modifications it is too much if someone has injuries or other issues. IMHO.
Good to know; I won't be getting that one!

There is no way of telling people they are all walking around shining like the sun--Thomas Merton

People have done all kinds of remarkable things because they thought they could. People routinely fail to do quite ordinary things because they assume they can't--Reinhard Engels

Stay gold, Ponyboy--S.E. Hinton

Pick up your crazy heart and give it one more try--Ryan Bingham

Disclosure: I have a personal relationship with a fitness instructor who has appeared in some videos.
eam531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-16, 11:32 AM  
ADoll

What about 21Day Fix? She has a modifier and you can use lighter weights.
ADoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-16, 12:10 PM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
I recently purchased P90X3. I previewed a few of the workouts and promptly returned it. Even with modifications it is too much if someone has injuries or other issues. IMHO. ....
I agree with your P90X3 assessment.

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-16, 12:12 PM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Lauren Brooks' Shut Up and Train is a good DVD, plus she has several paper programs available for purchase, if you want something kettlebell related.

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-16, 12:23 PM  
zraipel
VF Supporter

I like MetRx 180 for a beginner/ intermediate set rotation. The whole kit is available for pretty cheap on Amazon: http://smile.amazon.com/Met-rx®-180-...rds=met+rx+180

It provides a good foundation for moving into something more advanced later. You could substitute the cardio for something you enjoy. I've always found Frank to be extremely knowledgeable and motivating

ETA: I completely agree with Carol on Lauren Brooks Shut Up and Train! It's amazing for keeping me consistent while seeing quick results.
Old 04-08-16, 12:56 PM  
Stephanie_B

Powerfit worked for me when I started up again. I can't say enough about how much I liked it and I HATE band work.

What about Hip Hop Abs, Rocking Body or Yoga Booty Ballet if you have those already?

I also love DDP yoga, but didn't stick with it long enough (because I ended up traveling and lost focus when I got back).

If you can't do it today what makes you think you will do it tomorrow?

DISCLOSURE: I had a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Stephanie_B is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beginner rotations, beginner workouts, met-rx, met-rx 180