Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-09-11, 10:32 AM  
daisysunshine

All I want is pure athletic training style cardio and a great upper body workout :(

Is that too hard to ask for?

Excuse me while I rant and whine and complain. I love squeeze. ADORE squeeze, it's part of my summer training. but I really wish that Tracey would have done a Squeeze Upper Body Challenge either with (or instead of) lower body challenge.

I love Michele Olson's Fitness Prescription... but it's only lower body intensive.

I love Brook Benten but she's mostly lower body.

I love Sylwia Wisenberg... but she's mostly lower body.

I love...

You get the point, right?

I want to really start working on my upper body but NONE OF my favourite instructor really targets that area. yes there are some things - Leah has tons of upper body stuff in Ballet Body, Suzanne has Lean Arms... Tracy Anderson has her little spot, but why doesn't anyone ever do an "Arms/Chest" workout. I'm going to have fantastic legs and a great core... but still have angel wings!

And WHY - can't people make great athletic conditioning style hard cardio? why is it always kickboxing? I can't pick up kickboxing. or dancing I can't pick up cheography. I just want to have an hour of sweat, with a workout that doesn't take TOO much time to think about, and be on my merry way.

rant done.

...right now you're saying, no i can't do this. you should know by now i don't train that way - Dasha Libin

offering the two tracey mallet dance workouts, pm me.
daisysunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-11, 10:36 AM  
ldy_solana

collage's coming soon page has tracey mallet's arms and abs workout to compliment her booty barre. i know not helpful now but something to look forward too at least.

can't help much on cardio b/c if it isn't kickboxing, it is HIIT drills or dancing for me.

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
ldy_solana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-11, 10:38 AM  
akaAnnie

I really wish Michele Olson would hurry up with her upper body dvd. I've just started using her lower body one and I'm impressed...and in pain.
akaAnnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-11, 10:52 AM  
kauaigirl

Location: Wisconsin. But I'll always be a Michigan girl at heart!
Daisy, what about Charlene Prickett? Her aerobics are more athletic and there's definitely no kickboxing or dance. Plus, since you're in Canada, shipping isn't exorbitant like it is to the US!

I also like Gilad - most of his older workouts are good, steady state cardio without kickboxing/dance. Oh, and Ada's Basic Training, for sure!!

Gilad also has an Arms of Steel workout that I ! That might work for you.

Good luck!
Old 04-09-11, 10:54 AM  
KellyMarie65

And WHY - can't people make great athletic conditioning style hard cardio? why is it always kickboxing? I can't pick up kickboxing. or dancing I can't pick up cheography. I just want to have an hour of sweat, with a workout that doesn't take TOO much time to think about, and be on my merry way.>>

this would work best for me too. I can't do the dancing dvds or the kickboxing either. I like simple, easy, hard.
KellyMarie65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-11, 10:56 AM  
KellyMarie65

Quote:
Originally Posted by kauaigirl View Post
Daisy, what about Charlene Prickett? Her aerobics are more athletic and there's definitely no kickboxing or dance. Plus, since you're in Canada, shipping isn't exorbitant like it is to the US!

I also like Gilad - most of his older workouts are good, steady state cardio without kickboxing/dance. Oh, and Ada's Basic Training, for sure!!

Gilad also has an Arms of Steel workout that I ! That might work for you.

Good luck!
Gilad's Arms of Steel is only on VHS
KellyMarie65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-11, 10:56 AM  
neatski

This is the reason I started making my own circuit workouts. Btw, Kelly, you should really check out Paul Katami's Bootcamp 4x4. The moves are simple, but it is hard, hard, hard, and there is a TON of upper body focus. There's lower body focus, too, but the cardio is actually core intensive.

The most effective workout is the one you're not doing right now!

neatski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-11, 10:57 AM  
CarlaShanti

Try Supreme 90. It's cheap and there's lots of upper body work and basic athletic cardio drills.
CarlaShanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-11, 11:00 AM  
Sancho
VF Supporter

Location: My body is in Louisville but my heart is in Atlanta
Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you guys want . . .but I consider Insanity a pure athletic style training cardio and it has what I think is a really good upperbody workout in the set AND I get a good upper body workout with many of the other DVD's (I know others disagree with that).

Cathe's Hiits are very challenging cardio that are athletic style, as is her Core Cardio Circuit. Supreme 90s Tabata Inferno and Cardio Challenge are good athletic cardios (and the set has great upper body work).

I hate Kickboxing. These are some of my go to cardios that are athletic drills with zero choregoraphy challenge.

(there's also Paul Katama's Bootcamp and Hardball)
Sancho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-11, 11:05 AM  
Kathryn
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlaShanti View Post
Try Supreme 90. It's cheap and there's lots of upper body work and basic athletic cardio drills.
ITA!
The Tabata workout is hard-core athletic-style training. The cardio workout is mostly as well (I personally change up some of the 'non-cardio' moves, like planks and push-ups, to cardio moves).

Cathe's HIIT (which I've previewed but not done yet) has basic athletic cardio drills, as do some of Tony Horton's 'cardio' workout from P90X and P90 Masters.

I'm with you on liking athletic-and-not-dancy style cardio (though I LOVE kickboxing, so we'll agree to disagree there, LOL!)

2010 season speed-walking 5K PR: 35:47
2011 season race-walking 5K PR: 34:42
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
athletic cardio, upper body, upper body strength