Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-20-11, 02:20 PM  
pumptmuscle

Can I get some recs for complete upper body only strength workouts?

Lately, I've been focusing on doing a lower body toning rotation with the various Toniques and Montenegro Endurance. On the alternate days, I'm trying to do my own thing but I think it'd be best to have some formal and complete upper body only strength workouts. I'm looking for workouts that include no leg work at all.

I realized this morning as I scoured my collection trying to find something last minute that I have none of these type of workouts at all, excluding premixes. I decided to pop in Cathe's Muscle Max hoping it had an upper body premix and it did (my chest is killing me as I write this ). That's a good example of what I'm looking for.

Can I get some recs for full upper body only strength workouts that include no leg work at all? It'd be great if the workouts also included core/ab work but it's not a necessity. tia

"We all have our own issues" - Lashaun Dale

"Hi, I'm Billy Blanks and welcome to Tae Bo" Billy Blanks - Tae Bo

** 50 time marathoner
** 15 time ultramarathoner (the longest was 40 miles)
** All time high scorer at Blast Billiards
pumptmuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-11, 02:53 PM  
neatski

The only ones I know of are cardio & upper body weights circuits. Is that something you're interested in?

Get Ripped & Chiseled is also well-chaptered- I used to skip the lower body exercises and just do the upper body ones.

The most effective workout is the one you're not doing right now!

neatski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-11, 02:57 PM  
ldy_solana

most of cathe's strength workouts have premixes for UB only. Supersets/Push Pull has the workout blender option to put together your own premix as well. She also has Pyramid Upper/Lower Body DVD(2 workouts on 1 dvd really good workout). Amy Bento's APX and Slo-Mo both have upper body premixes but i wasn't really excited on those as she could have chosen better exercises for the premixes then she did. I would add on from the chapters to those workouts.

I don't do a whole lot of splits with dvds anymore so that is about all I can remember to help you with.

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
ldy_solana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-11, 02:59 PM  
bearcatfan

Cathe's Power Hour, High Reps, Pure Strength, CTX Upper Body. These are all premixes, I think. The Gym Styles upper body workouts are very very good, but they are splits and not everyone likes them. I love them!

Kelly Coffey-Meyer also has a lot of good premixes on her 30 minute series.

Corey Everson Get Hard Arms and Shoulders (no back or chest though)

Tony Horton's Power Half Hour Arm Toner (which I tried to give away and no takers, so you are welcome to it).
Old 03-20-11, 03:02 PM  
mj476

Cathe - Pyramid Upper Body - includes core work (lots of pikes on the ball)
Tracey Staehle - Parts Upper Body
Cathe Gym Styles Chest & Tris and Back, Bis & Shoulders - there are also 32-36 minute premixes of these to make a full upper body workout
Results 10 Days to a Better Body Upper Body - 30 minutes (alternates 1 minute of strenth with 1 minute of strength)

Marcy
Old 03-20-11, 03:16 PM  
Lisa C
VF Supporter

Here is a list of all the workouts in the review database that are upper body only. Actually there are some in there that slipped past me and have more than just upper body work, but the large majority of them focus on upper body only.

http://www.videofitness.com/reviewsd..._cat.php?id=30
Old 03-20-11, 03:32 PM  
Rivercat
VF Supporter

Since I'm in limited space at the moment and don't have room for my step or stability ball, I've been using the upper body portion of Kendell Hogan's Crunch Total Resculpt. They use one set of dumbells through the whole thing, but there's enough time to swap so I use three sets. It's short (about 20 min) but hits all the major areas pretty well, and has it's own warmup separate from the lower body section.

~~~Inaugural Star Wars Half Marathon, Jan 2015~~~

"Work your own shovel" - John "The Penguin" Bingham
Rivercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-11, 03:37 PM  
pumptmuscle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa C View Post
Here is a list of all the workouts in the review database that are upper body only. Actually there are some in there that slipped past me and have more than just upper body work, but the large majority of them focus on upper body only.

http://www.videofitness.com/reviewsd..._cat.php?id=30
Thanks Lisa et. al. for the suggestions. I hadn't even thought of checking the reviews area as I didn't think there'd be an upper body only section. It was very comprehensive and I already have a nice selection of workouts listed in it. I'm so bad with premixes since I almost never do them.

The Muscle Max upper body premix is a definite keeper. My body HURTS!!! lol That's a good thing overall but it sure doesn't feel like it right now.

"We all have our own issues" - Lashaun Dale

"Hi, I'm Billy Blanks and welcome to Tae Bo" Billy Blanks - Tae Bo

** 50 time marathoner
** 15 time ultramarathoner (the longest was 40 miles)
** All time high scorer at Blast Billiards
pumptmuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-11, 04:16 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumptmuscle View Post
Thanks Lisa et. al. for the suggestions. I hadn't even thought of checking the reviews area as I didn't think there'd be an upper body only section. It was very comprehensive and I already have a nice selection of workouts listed in it. I'm so bad with premixes since I almost never do them.

The Muscle Max upper body premix is a definite keeper. My body HURTS!!! lol That's a good thing overall but it sure doesn't feel like it right now.
I'll bet you'd like PUB and she's having an amazing sale right now (is it still on?). You might even check out High Reps, though the upper body mix is a little strange on that one because they forgot to put in.... back, I think it is? Or triceps? Who can help me out? I remember something was missing!
bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-11, 05:56 PM  
gigi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee View Post
I'll bet you'd like PUB and she's having an amazing sale right now (is it still on?). You might even check out High Reps, though the upper body mix is a little strange on that one because they forgot to put in.... back, I think it is? Or triceps? Who can help me out? I remember something was missing!
Although I haven't done it in a long time, PUB, is one of my all time faves along with PLB. Cathe was at her best with the Intensity Series!

Tags
upper body, upper body strength