Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-19-16, 12:36 PM  
LizEMA

I know it's time to take a break when I get achy and tight, when I'm not recovering quickly from workouts, when I'm consistently tired, when I have no joy or energy when working out and just can't get "into it", when I've reached a plateau and am not increasing my fitness level or advancing, or worse, declining in strength or other aspects.

I like some of the recommendations others have made regarding length of rest time, but, as with almost everything, it really depends on you and your body. Even for me, my rest intervals vary and are dependent on a lot of factors -- time of the year, what types of exercise I've been doing, length of workouts, diet, sleep, other things going on in my life (ie: STRESS). I think the harder you work out, the more rest time you need, but that's just MHO.

Sometimes it's a struggle to WILLINGLY and VOLUNTARILY take that break (sometimes that feels like someone telling me I have to go without using my right hand -- preposterous and impossible ), but I try to reason with the illogical side of me and convince myself that my workouts will be both more enjoyable and powerful if I give myself a little break.

And, while sometimes my "breaks" vary (sometimes a COMPLETE break, other times I start off with a complete break and add in exercises that are just basically "keeping active" -- things that don't raise my heart rate (much) or make me out of breath, sometimes just switching up the kind of exercise I've been doing to something completely different but still keeping it much lower in intensity than what I've been doing), I ultimately find that SOME kind of complete break -- for however long it may be -- is most beneficial, much more so than trying to keep working out, doing something.

But, as stated above (and not wanting to sound like a broken record ), it just depends. I almost always know when I need a break (sometimes I fight it, though, like a cranky toddler fighting sleep ), but it's the idea of having to give up exercising for an indefinite amount of time (sometimes, even just a day) that I have a hard time with. Once it's really part of my day and daily routine, it's HARD to take it out. A lot of things get planned around it, or, at least, it affects the other parts of my day (when I eat, take a shower, cook, etc), so taking that out kind of throws everything ELSE out of whack, too. I really like Bubbles76 idea of making sure to keep doing SOMETHING during that time to maintain the structure.
Old 03-20-16, 09:31 AM  
AnMrsDe

Quote:
Originally Posted by isebelleg44 View Post
Usually I only take time off from traditional working out due to illness or vacation. I haven't been taking a lot of rest days and usually do yoga on a resty day. I remember in past formal rotations, that there was in a built in "rest week."

What do you think the benefit of this is? Should we be doing this on a regular basis? Do you take a week off? I have been feeling achy lately, but know I need to do something or I will go nuts!

I have revisited my Essentrics DVD and forgot how wonderful these are and maybe should just add these back in on a regular basis. I am rambling here I know, but am wondering when do you realize that you should back off a little.
I found that I need to at least take one rest day a week or my body is super achey, and lately it's been telling me that I might even need another. I'm a lot older than you though, if that factors in there at all.

Maybe your "non-rest day month of January" is still trying to catch up with you? (FYI: I can say this b/c she's in my check-in and can view her workouts, LOL).

I always feel better when I take my recovery weeks (which I need more often now), and maybe do light stuff 2-3 days out of the week feeling more rested and raring to go for the next week!
AnMrsDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-16, 09:52 AM  
Chomper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
What is "housework?" Is there a DVD? Who is the instructor?

Yes, there's a DVD but it's really cheesy. The backgrounders are in little spandex maid outfits, doing endless reps with weird hard to find equipment like feather dusters, mops and vacuum cleaners. Horrible techno Muzak plays in the background that is almost too low to hear. And the instructor keeps yapping about how great your house is going to look, doesn't she know some of us are not into aesthetics? We're not looking for that beach house look. Don't get me started on the backgrounder who keeps mugging to the camera, or the one who looks stuck up. Also, there are no chapters and who has time to always do the whole 4 hour workout? 1 star, do not recommend.
Chomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-16, 12:59 PM  
Lori_Michigan

I find that life just dictates my rest weeks; about every 4-6 weeks my body just needs a change and a refresher week. I also take an easy week when my work and kids schedules and games/practices and school events are crazy. I usually just do CS/Ess and easy cardio/walking, if I can fit one in. If not, I know I'll get back to it eventually when life eases up again or my body feels better. I've learned the hard way as I get older to not push it when my body can't go on! I also live a cold climate and I find these last weeks of winter and first weeks of spring to be particularly challenging on my body; we've lived through months of cold and snow and viruses and the flu, and I'm just tired of driving at all hours of the day and coordinating a gazillion things. Perhaps this will be a rest up week!
Lori_Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-16, 01:12 PM  
videofit

I don't need a whole week to rest. I don't overdo it. I usually take one day off but even that means I might go for a quick half hour walk. The only time I've missed working out for a week or more was when I was on vacation but that usually saw me doing a lot of walking and sightseeing. I am rather restless and can't sit still. My mother always called me fidgety, "Can't you ever sit still?!"
Old 03-20-16, 05:06 PM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomper View Post
Yes, there's a DVD but it's really cheesy. The backgrounders are in little spandex maid outfits, doing endless reps with weird hard to find equipment like feather dusters, mops and vacuum cleaners. Horrible techno Muzak plays in the background that is almost too low to hear. And the instructor keeps yapping about how great your house is going to look, doesn't she know some of us are not into aesthetics? We're not looking for that beach house look. Don't get me started on the backgrounder who keeps mugging to the camera, or the one who looks stuck up. Also, there are no chapters and who has time to always do the whole 4 hour workout? 1 star, do not recommend.
Excellent review - thank you!
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-16, 05:17 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Quote:
ROTFL, you have a way with words Chomper!

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-16, 07:27 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
I'll avoid that DVD at all costs!!!

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-16, 08:23 PM  
Taiga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
I'll avoid that DVD at all costs!!!
The 4hrs is just for newbies who need all that extra instruction. Skip to the 10 minute "blast" section and you can get decent results with limited time and equipment. Remember, hut or beach house, we owe it to ourselves not to be a hot mess
Old 03-20-16, 08:33 PM  
Alan

Quote:
Is this one of those heavy weight workouts? I have to be careful to not lift furniture heavier than 3lb or I'll bulk.

On a serious note, I always schedule 2 days of rest per week. Any fewer than that and I'll burn out or get injured.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rest days, rest week