Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-08-14, 04:50 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Happy Birthday, Bob!

You didn't find running really taxing on your joints? Esp. carrying extra weight?
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-14, 06:40 PM  
PennyK

Smile

PennyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-14, 08:06 PM  
lorajc

Yes, I'm interested in this thread also. I'm aged 55 and have a good 60 or so pounds to lose.....so far, I've lost 20. I've NEVER had to lose weight in my life so this is all totally new to me and HARD. I'm currently in menopause. My hot flashes are finally starting to subside a bit so hopefully, I'm starting to come out the other end?

Bob - Interesting what you say of "running" - I hurt my ribs and have been unable to do anything the past few weeks, so all I've been doing is a walk/run program - daily . I lost 6 pounds in the past 3 weeks doing this!! I couldn't believe it!! I'm going to continue for a few more weeks until my ribs heal....but I'll definitely keep throwing it into my routine more after I heal also!
lorajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-14, 08:39 PM  
pumptmuscle

Thanks for the birthday wishes!

I should mention I basically lost the weight and took up running afterward. It kept me thin. I switched to racewalking afterward due to some persistent injuries and I gained some weight. Not much but I def didn't have the 'running' body anymore...even tho I believe I was doing slightly more weekly mileage racewalking.

If joint issues are a problem, maybe try a treadmill, or a run/walk program like lorajc mentioned. You don't have to run an entire workout. Running on grass, dirt, loose gravel or maybe even a rebounder or using an elliptical are other options.

I believe running form is very important, too. You should try to be as light as possible when running and especially, don't be 'stompy' or clunky. When done properly, running should look smooth and relaxed, regardless of how fast someone is going (unless they're very slow). hth

"We all have our own issues" - Lashaun Dale

"Hi, I'm Billy Blanks and welcome to Tae Bo" Billy Blanks - Tae Bo

** 50 time marathoner
** 15 time ultramarathoner (the longest was 40 miles)
** All time high scorer at Blast Billiards
pumptmuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-14, 05:13 PM  
Negin

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrairieGem View Post
And then, late this spring, thanks to VFers, I discovered a really smart, sensible book by psychiatrist Dr. Judith Beck, The Beck Diet Solution.
Thank you for reminding me about this book. I'm not sure if I'm in a place to take charge of my terrible emotional eating , but I would very much like to read this. Just don't when I'll be ready.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday View Post
But I will say maintenance is MUCH harder than losing. Ugh! It's a daily battle
This is the story of my life. I've lost and like 90% or so of people, I've regained. Maintaining is so hard.
Old 08-22-14, 08:43 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Congratulations Demeris!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demeris View Post
Unlike others who can tell you that they did WW or they went vegetarian, if I say what I did, I will get the thread shut down (this is based on past experience. If I had the time or the inclination, I could pull of the threads where people went on and on about WW or vegetarianism, but the minute I posted the food choices that create and support health for me, the thread got shut down).
If others can mention WW or vegetarianism I'm sure you could state a simple general idea like primal eating, grain-free or something else. As long as you don't post details or offer specific advice, then why not? People could always PM you if they want to know more.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-14, 12:19 AM  
PrairieGem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Negin View Post
Thank you for reminding me about this book [The Beck Diet Solution by Judith Beck]. I'm not sure if I'm in a place to take charge of my terrible emotional eating , but I would very much like to read this. Just don't know when I'll be ready.
I hope you do check it out! Just reading the book helped me make some big changes in my thinking, and she has a really great approach to emotional eating. One thing she stresses--and that I'm going to stress now, too! --is that life, dieting, weightloss aren't all-or-nothing. Even partial successes are success! So if you can get a handle on SOME aspects of your weight, that's still wonderful, worthwhile progress! Ie, don't not start something because it might not get you all the way to your goal, know what I mean? (Honestly, I just had the book out from the library in a big stack of other stuff, and after a couple of weeks thought, "I should at least LOOK at this before I return it." LOL!)

Bob, happy birthday! I'm with you on the surprising and almost magical effects of running. I've done every kind of exercise over the last 20 years, and absolutely *nothing* has dropped pounds like running has. And I'm *terrible* at it! We're talking, like 2 to 2.5 miles, at about 14 minutes/mile. And that's after doing it for six months. But I am addicted (and strangely, stupidly macho about running, given how normally sensible I am in the rest of my life *and* how embarrassingly bad I am at it! ).
Old 08-23-14, 04:08 AM  
Negin

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrairieGem View Post
she has a really great approach to emotional eating.
Thank you so much for the encouragement.
Old 08-23-14, 09:04 AM  
ivorygorgon

It really comes down to two things: you have to change your diet and exercise. No -one really wants to hear this, but it is that simple. Clean up your diet and move.

I had to completely change how I think about food, feel about food and use food. Same with exercise. I consciously DECIDED to love exercise and I worked at it and tried many different things to find the movement that works for me and that I LOVE doing. Working out and eating right are not huge chores and sacrifices. It is my lifestyle and what I want to be doing. This change did not miraculously happen. I had to WORK at it.

If I can help in anyway, please feel free to PM me.

Oh, and I have lost almost 100 pounds and kept it off for about 10 years now. I will be riding in a 36 hour, 500 mile bicycle relay race in October. 12 years ago, if someone told me I would be where I am now, I would have told the they are crazy.
ivorygorgon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-14, 06:03 PM  
PennyK

PennyK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weight loss, weight loss 75+ pounds