Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-27-14, 08:31 AM  
pumptmuscle

As far as the AoS dvd-r issue is concerned, I posted several years ago about how I received a copy of Firepower that was a dvd-r. I bought a 70 lb kettlebell from Craigslist and when the seller and I met, I saw Firepower lying on a table. I asked him if he was selling it and he said sure. I think we agreed on $10 or $15. I got it home and saw it was dvd-r. I didn't mind but I wasn't expecting it. I didn't bother asking him where he got it when I got home. I posted a message here asking if anyone else had a dvd-r version of it and I believe everyone said no. I eventually got a pressed copy and traded the other, fully disclosing it was a dvd-r before the trade and the tradee was fine with it.
I'm assuming it was purchased from Amazon and anything purchased from AoS would be pressed. Just be warned, for those who care, dvd-r versions are out there.

"We all have our own issues" - Lashaun Dale

"Hi, I'm Billy Blanks and welcome to Tae Bo" Billy Blanks - Tae Bo

** 50 time marathoner
** 15 time ultramarathoner (the longest was 40 miles)
** All time high scorer at Blast Billiards
pumptmuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-14, 08:33 AM  
pumptmuscle

Btw, did anyone else really hate the trailer for the dvd? I understand not wanting to disclose too much but all the shuffling and movement of the video in the trailer was a big turn off. Not even sure why they bothered making it.

** 50 time marathoner
Old 07-27-14, 12:22 PM  
jhsimpson

Something has changed at AoS and I can't put my finger on it.

I Joni'Oed' the Cowboy Fit DVD-R. Total mess!

I get the impression that AoS is separate from PUNCH and I don't think Anthony DiLuglio is involved in either entities? I see Anthony is also working with George Foreman III on 'BoxFit' so unsure the direction?

In the realm of Kettlebells other players have taken over in media production. ZCut / Zukana is awesome. RKS and Skogg have been winners too.

AoS has fallen off my radar!

-JS-
jhsimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-14, 04:15 PM  
LindaL
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumptmuscle View Post
Btw, did anyone else really hate the trailer for the dvd? I understand not wanting to disclose too much but all the shuffling and movement of the video in the trailer was a big turn off. Not even sure why they bothered making it.
The trailer is a turn off and totally misleading. The download comes with 2 parts: a thorough tutorial and the workout. The workout consists of 5 rounds. There are only 2 rounds that have snatches and those are only 5 e/s. I believe the purpose of this workout is to give you the muscular strength and endurance to do kettlebell sport. There are some good exercises here: barbell get up sit up, tactical lunge, sumo squat, single leg dead lift, etc. She does use some of the vintage equipment, which bugs me because it's so ridiculously expensive that I would never buy it. One time through the workout (and remember, she tells you to repeat rounds 1, 3, and 5 - the strength based rounds 2-3 times and rounds 2 & 4 the more metabolic, snatch based rounds 2-5 times) is 19 minutes. She's working out alone in what seems to be an aerobics room and you can hear some kids making noise in the background. I don't see myself using this one all the time, but for $12, it's a good workout to have in my KB collection. Had I paid more I would probably be very disappointed. I think people like Mark de Grasse and Onnit give away better material for free.

JS - I totally understand. Several years (7 or 8?) ago I thought AOS was about the coolest thing going. They had the Women's Page on their website and I loved the DVDs. Now it seems they focus on downloads that only show 1 round of the workout and then they write, "This round should be repeated." I don't know if they're focusing on their franchises or what, but they certainly don't seem very interested in the home workout DVD market.

Disclosure: I was a Beachbody success story and part of a P90X infomercial.
LindaL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-14, 05:52 PM  
AsSweetAsSugar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhonda View Post
I tried the code and it doesn't work for me. I put DVDs in my card and says it doesn't apply to anything. When you say videos, is it for DVDs or the streaming?

Thanks
Rhonda, I just checked the email they sent, and that code is for the downloads only, there is no discound for the Dvds at this time, jbut you can get FREE Shipping with the code: SHIPME (which is valid into the US only).

Btw, I just noticed that they upped their prices, some Dvds were $12.99 and 14.99, now they cost $19.99 and 21.99

LindaL, thanks for the info on the new workout, I think I'm not interested on that one, as I'm not into downloads and wouldn't pay that much for the Dvd. I've an Ultimate Sandbag Dvd and they do 3 rounds of a workout and then said to do 3 to 5 rounds, so I have to rewind if I want to do the extra 2 rounds. For that and other few reasons I don't reach for it often.

LMP - Grad/Aug 13 * TheRack - Grad/Nov 13 * PowerFit H - Grad/Jan 14 * FIF: SB - Grad/ Feb 14 * Cage/Box/KB 6WR - Comp/Mar 14 * Ugi/Kb/Pilates 6WR - Comp/May 14 * ThunderBell - Comp/Sep 14 * Obsidian - Comp/Jan 15 * JNL - DO/Sept 15 * D2S - Grad/Feb 16 * KbKb/TBS - Grad/Jun 16 * FusionMixx - Com/Aug 16 * F8F - Grad/Oct 16

Sonríe a la vida y ella te sonreíra siempre!
AsSweetAsSugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-14, 06:44 AM  
kat_b

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumptmuscle View Post
As far as the AoS dvd-r issue is concerned, I posted several years ago about how I received a copy of Newport that was a dvd-r. I bought a 70 lb kettlebell from Craigslist and when the seller and I met, I saw Firepower lying on a table. I asked him if he was selling it and he said sure. I think we agreed on $10 or $15. I got it home and saw it was dvd-r. I didn't mind but I wasn't expecting it. I didn't bother asking him where he got it when I got home. I posted a message here asking if anyone else had a dvd-r version of it and I believe everyone said no. I eventually got a pressed copy and traded the other, fully disclosing it was such before the trade and the tradee was fine with it.
I'm assuming it was purchased from Amazon and anything purchased from AoS would be pressed. Just be warned, for those who care, dvd-r versions are out there.
Bob,
I missed this thread when you posted it. Would have given you some peace of mind and told you that early, early on (~2006/7) the AoS DVDs were DVD-r. My copy of Providence was DVD-r and Firepower was also DVD-r. If memory serves they sold them through Perform Better and at a few fitness shows.
Kat
kat_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-14, 05:27 AM  
pumptmuscle

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat_b View Post
Bob,
I missed this thread when you posted it. Would have given you some peace of mind and told you that early, early on (~2006/7) the AoS DVDs were DVD-r. My copy of Providence was DVD-r and Firepower was also DVD-r. If memory serves they sold them through Perform Better and at a few fitness shows.
Kat
Thanks for the info Kat. I was concerned at the time it was a bootleg but glad to see it wasn't.

** 50 time marathoner

Tags
art of stength, kettlebell sport training