Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-16, 04:05 PM  
boukilisa

Where have all the workouts gone ...

Just feeling nostalgic for the days when I could cruise TotalFitness or Collage to see all the new workouts that were coming. I'd start budgeting and figuring out where they were going to go on my shelf.

Those were the days.
Old 06-28-16, 05:40 PM  
bubbles76

True that I haven't even been a vidiot for as long as some of you, and I'm feeling nostalgic.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-16, 07:05 PM  
MARIKA

I think with all the downloads and youtube stuff the market has really changed. I remember going to Borders or a dvd store in the mall and getting so excited about what I could find. Then collage came along and all the online stores. I just seems like it will never be the same but life moves on. I never thought I could workout from my laptop let alone an ipad but I do now and don't mind at all.
Old 06-28-16, 07:40 PM  
BunnyHop

Having settled into a nice groove with Jessica Smith, KCM and Classical Stretch dvds, I'm honestly not certain how interested I might be in other workouts if they were available more readily on dvd.

All three of my favorites make their workout dvds available from the instructor's website (or Amazon, in Jessica's case), so I find I just don't browse the dvd retail sites the way I used to.
Old 06-29-16, 10:24 AM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARIKA View Post
I think with all the downloads and youtube stuff the market has really changed.
This! I still remember when the FIRM Volume 1 & 2 were the only workout videos. Now I feel there is so much more!! I can't keep up with all the retail DVD offerings, workouts only on instructors' websites, streaming, and youtube.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-16, 04:11 PM  
boukilisa

I know it's a dying format but I wish there were more DVD offerings at retail. There's not much at Collage. New things are slow to come to Totalfitness, and walking into a store to buy anything is a joke these days unless you fetishize Leslie Walks or Jillian Anderson. I don't.

I'm not streaming yet because I like to own what I pay for. Plus, I've yet to see any streaming workouts that meet solid production standards. I've seen some that look okay but the music is bad.

Music makes or breaks a workout for me. Canned, low in volume, dull or monotonous music are non-starters. So, even some of my fave instructors can't keep my attention these days because licensing music is so expensive for them.

One thing I liked about DVDs was that I could see and hear clips first to decide what was going to work for me. Not so much anymore ...
Old 06-29-16, 08:09 PM  
beyond.omega
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boukilisa View Post
I know it's a dying format but I wish there were more DVD offerings at retail. There's not much at Collage. New things are slow to come to Totalfitness, and walking into a store to buy anything is a joke these days unless you fetishize Leslie Walks or Jillian Anderson. I don't.

I'm not streaming yet because I like to own what I pay for. Plus, I've yet to see any streaming workouts that meet solid production standards. I've seen some that look okay but the music is bad.

Music makes or breaks a workout for me. Canned, low in volume, dull or monotonous music are non-starters. So, even some of my fave instructors can't keep my attention these days because licensing music is so expensive for them.

One thing I liked about DVDs was that I could see and hear clips first to decide what was going to work for me. Not so much anymore ...
I'm curious, what are some DVD workouts that you would recommend for the music (and workout)?
beyond.omega is offline   Reply With Quote