Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-16, 09:46 AM  
angie_nrs

I have a cheap Verizon flip phone. I've bought razr's off ebay without much problem....except one had horrible reception for some reason, but for the probably 10 or so that I have bought, I was pretty happy.

You may also want to check swappa.com for a phone. I have only bought one for my DS from there but they get really good reviews on their used phones. I think it's kind of like an ebay, but swappa will stand behind the phone if there are any problems.
Old 06-28-16, 09:57 AM  
monterey vidiot
VF Supporter

recently upgraded to cheap flip phone

I've had a tracfone for years. They recently replaced my old Nokia, due to the bandwith issue, (for free!) with a flip phone. I buy airtime, usually every 3 months; no monthly fees.
monterey vidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-16, 12:03 PM  
Aquajock

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
I am probably the last holdout for not getting a smartphone. I don't need one. I barely use my cell phone.

I currently have a Virgin Mobile flip phone that was passed to me by my DH when he upgraded to a smart phone. It has pretty much stopped working. Virgin Mobile's explanation is that I can't get a signal since I have lower bandwith and the rest of the world with higher drains the signals even though we live in an area between three cell phone towers.

Does anyone have a cheap flip phone with a cheap plan that they are happy with? I currently pay $21 every three months plus twenty cents a minute. I actually have $50 left in minutes since I use it so little.
If you could specify the brand/model that would be great!

The only flip phone left on Virgin Mobile site is out of stock and has horrible reviews. I'd be willing to upgrade to a better phone only if I could keep my current plan. Since I use it so little, it is not worth it to pay more per month.

Thanks for your help-
Sherry
Try Consumer Cellular

A-jock
Old 06-28-16, 12:21 PM  
marki64

I don't really have anything to add, but count me in as one of the few who got rid of the flip phone a year ago. I still don't have a fancy phone. No internet access. I just wanted to be able to text. We have Verizon. My flip phone kept cutting out and calls were dropped. I live out a little further from the city and we don't have a land line anymore, so needed a good cell. I am not a person to get glued to a phone, so I am good without the smart phone. I am tired of people with cell phone rudeness and I don't want to become one. How did we survive in the 70's & 80's???
marki64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-16, 01:12 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

raising my hand/phone here!

our service is with AT&T. I have an LG that I paid $50 for. it's a LGB470, and it's a better flip phone in that I believe it has more storage. I noticed that this model can accept multi-media messages from people who have smartphones - my last phone used to reject some of those messages.

I use it just for calls and texting.

I don't know what we pay because our family of 5 is on a group plan, and DH pays for that bill.

I like having a flip phone.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-16, 02:42 PM  
buffmama

Another with a flip phone here. Just started texting. Count me as another who wouldn't mind not always being connected.
Old 06-28-16, 04:21 PM  
sherry7899

Thanks, everyone!

I called the Kmart near me (miracle anyone even answered the phone) and they said even though their website showed the phone was in the store, they don't have it. I found that Walmart will ship it (TMobile LG 450) to the my local store for free and I can pick it up on Friday. It was even cheaper than Kmart-only $19.00 plus tax

Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-16, 04:27 PM  
loulou

T-Mobile has a pay as you go plan that is very cheap. I think it is that $3.00 for 30 minutes as the least expensive but they have several plans. You can buy a phone from them or buy your own unlocked phone with a sim card.

I needed an unlocked phone with a sim card for international travel which you can buy on Amazon (all prices) and T-Mobile and AT&T were the only companies that support that. I pay $30.00 a month for a great plan if you don't really need a smart phone. There is no contract. I kept my phone number even if I let the plan lapse for a month or so and can cancel at anytime.

Also, I just took my mother to Verizon to exchange her ancient flip phone for a newer model. They have basic flip phones but you probably have to go with a contract.

ETA: Just saw I was too late. Hope it works for you!
loulou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-16, 04:30 PM  
sherry7899

T-Mobile has a pay as you go plan that is very cheap. I think it is that $3.00 for 30 minutes as the least expensive but they have several plans. You can buy a phone from them or buy your own unlocked phone with a sim card. QUOTE

That is the plan that I am going to use-$3.00 for 30 minutes each month. I did a live chat with T-Mobile.

I hope I don't have trouble activating it. I am not tech savvy at all, but my son will help me I don't know if it comes with a charger. I am hoping one of the chargers we have will work-we have a bunch from various flip phones we used before.

Thanks, Loulou!

Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-16, 04:34 PM  
loulou

I recall it being pretty simple to activate with them. The only thing I miss is not having 411.
loulou is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cell phone plans