Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-28-16, 06:59 AM  
sherry7899

OT: help if anyone still uses a cheap flip phone

I am probably the last holdout for not getting a smartphone. I don't need one. I barely use my cell phone.

I currently have a Virgin Mobile flip phone that was passed to me by my DH when he upgraded to a smart phone. It has pretty much stopped working. Virgin Mobile's explanation is that I can't get a signal since I have lower bandwith and the rest of the world with higher drains the signals even though we live in an area between three cell phone towers.

Does anyone have a cheap flip phone with a cheap plan that they are happy with? I currently pay $21 every three months plus twenty cents a minute. I actually have $50 left in minutes since I use it so little.
If you could specify the brand/model that would be great!

The only flip phone left on Virgin Mobile site is out of stock and has horrible reviews. I'd be willing to upgrade to a better phone only if I could keep my current plan. Since I use it so little, it is not worth it to pay more per month.

Thanks for your help-
Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-16, 07:26 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

OMG I thought I was the last hold out! My LG flip looks like a train ran over it, but it still works. I basically get spam and robo calls on it. DH and I are not big phone talkers and I talk to most of my family and friends via Facebook or email communications because I do not text. Our plan is $63 per month for the both of us.

A techie friend told me to look into a Samsung G4 if I can find one, and go with Cricket for the plan. I'm sure if you search around you can find a newer flip. Good luck - keep us hold outs posted!
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-16, 07:31 AM  
PhyllisG

I have a flip phone LG. I too rarely use my cell....mostly for emergencies. I have TracPhone. I bought it at Target. $100 a year. The phone itself cost $10. I never even use all the minutes and they roll them over to the next year. I have had this for 2 years.
I had Straight
Talk from Walmart before but their customer service was terrible.
I prefer TracPhone. Plus they always offer double your minutes at no extra cost.
PhyllisG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-16, 07:44 AM  
superfit41
VF Supporter

My DH has a nice flip phone with bluetooth (he only wanted it for driving). We have AT&T, but I am thinking of downsizing to a simpler plan. We also had Walmart ST, but I also hated the customer service. Thanks Phyllis for mentioning TracPhone. I may check into that. I currently have a Samsung Note3, but I am disgusted at the prices that you have to pay for most smartphones. I will downsize for my next phone. The good thing is that I owe nothing on my phone so we can leave AT&T at any time.
Sherry
superfit41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-16, 07:46 AM  
Demeris

My father has had a cheap flip phone from Tracfone for four years. He uses it everywhere except when he's way out in the middle of the desert away from anything--and even my brother's fancy Verizon phone won't work out there.

He uses a pre-paid plan. I just added minutes and time to his phone--1600 mins and 2 years, and it cost a total of $200 dollars.

I dropped my Verizon phone last summer when my contract ran out, bought a smart phone from Tracfone and paid for a year's worth of time, data, and texts, and the total was about 300$. I just added data for 30$ and got 2 GBs. I have never had a problem with it, even traveling to KY, MN, CA, and all over Arizona.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-16, 07:52 AM  
sherry7899

Thank you all so much! I was worried no one would respond I will look into all of the suggestions. I am wondering if I will even hear back from Virgin Mobile.
I don't want to handle it over the phone-I want a response in writing.

My son and DH use Virgin Mobile for their smartphones with no problems at all.

Sherry

Old 06-28-16, 08:36 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Add me and DH to the list! We have Samsung phones through T-Mobile. We don't pay a monthly fee at all--we have to renew a certain amount of minutes per year, which I think costs us about $50/per phone (I don't recall the exact number since DH does it), but that's it. We hardly ever use them; I carry mine in my purse, but it is turned off all the time. It's there for emergencies (rare) and when I travel and need my family to pick me up from the airport (1-2x/year).

I will say that I am starting to crave a smart phone a bit more. DH works from home, so I don't think he realizes what it's like to be the only one in a workplace without one! It's tough when people want to text me and I can't do that. I don't want to be constantly checking my phone like some people, but when I'm out, I would like to be able to check reviews on products and things like that. DH just doesn't see why we should go from paying almost nothing to some ridiculous monthly fee, and it's hard to argue with that.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-16, 08:42 AM  
sherry7899

Thanks, Beth! I will check that option also.

Sherry

Old 06-28-16, 08:46 AM  
katalina

Another non-smartphone user here who doesn't use her phone often. I have had an AT&T pay as you go plan for years (cost is about $100/year). I just had to upgrade my phone since it was a 2G. I was relieved to discover I did not need to get a smartphone and now have an LG B470 flip phone. I was surprised that no instruction manual was included (just a VERY brief quick start guide). Alas, I had to watch tutorials and read online to learn basic functionality (specifically - how to turn all the sounds off) but it seems like a decent phone.
katalina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-16, 09:24 AM  
sherry7899

I checked T-Mobile's site and did a live chat. They have a plan which is $3.00 a month for thirty minutes of talk or 30 texts. That is perfect for me, since I don't text and barely talk . On their site the actual phone is $60, but I looked around online, and Kmart has it for only $28.00.
I don't take pictures with the phone and I don't need internet on the phone either.

I just need to hear back from Virgin Mobile to see if they will apply my $50 balance to my son or DH's account. I don't want to lose that credit.

Sherry

Tags
cell phone plans