Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-29-16, 06:45 PM  
donnamp

Ok, I have a smart phone, but this thread made me realize how little I actually use it as a phone! LOL! I use it as a GPS for directions in unfamiliar places and I use it to listen to books and music (using the Hoopla and Pandora APPs). I sometimes check my mail on it but we don't have a huge data plan so I only do stuff on the internet with it if I can use wifi. I text more than I call. I'm not a phone person!

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-16, 06:05 AM  
akaAnnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demeris View Post
My father has had a cheap flip phone from Tracfone for four years. He uses it everywhere except when he's way out in the middle of the desert away from anything--and even my brother's fancy Verizon phone won't work out there.

He uses a pre-paid plan. I just added minutes and time to his phone--1600 mins and 2 years, and it cost a total of $200 dollars.

I dropped my Verizon phone last summer when my contract ran out, bought a smart phone from Tracfone and paid for a year's worth of time, data, and texts, and the total was about 300$. I just added data for 30$ and got 2 GBs. I have never had a problem with it, even traveling to KY, MN, CA, and all over Arizona.
My son and I had a tracfone we used for years as an extra phone, then he got a serious girlfriend and an iphone. Last June I got rid of our house phone (it was rerely used) and got myself a smart tracfone. I got a deal on ebay-$130 for the Alcatel Pop Icon and that included a years service and a lot of minutes(don't remember, maybe 400?)and data. With the minutes tripled that was more than I use a year. I have bought texts during the year at $10 per 1000, but now I see they are $5 for 1000. I just had to buy another year of service which I got forjust shy of $60 using a little trick I read online which gives me 13 months of service and 90 minutes of phone time. I have't had any trouble with the phone.
Before that phone I had a LG 840 tracfone that I got on their site refurbished for $14 delivered and it worked great.
akaAnnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-16, 12:49 PM  
furmomof6

To the OP, I didn't read through this thread so I'm not sure if anyone mentioned Page Plus Cellular. I still have an old flip phone and I use that service. They're on the Verizon network and I have never had any problems. The cheapest plan, the one I use, is $12 a month. You have to renew it every month but I believe you can set up auto-renew. I get 250 minutes and 250 texts with that. I don't use either much so it's perfect for me. They have other plans too and obviously you get more minutes the more you pay.

https://www.pagepluscellular.com/

ETA: You can also keep your existing phone or any phone you have lying around for this service. You don't have to buy a new one.

My shop wordforthesoulart.etsy.com

"For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come" (1 Timothy 4:8)
furmomof6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-16, 02:00 PM  
sherry7899

Thanks! I ended up going with T-Mobile, which offers a plan for $3.00 a month for thirty minutes of talk or thirty texts. I don't even text. I barely use the phone at all, so this option is just right for me.

I'm getting the phone from Walmart tomorrow. It was marked down to $19.00.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-16, 10:45 PM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

I'm also a happy Page Plus customer. They're great if you want or need the Verizon network. My parents and I both use the pay-as-you-go plans. They use the rock-bottom cheapest, $10 every 120 days (10 cents per minute or text) while the $80 yearly plan (4 cents per minute or text) is perfect for me. You can use any Verizon phone or buy one from their site. The refurbished Moto E is a good deal for $10.

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-16, 02:48 PM  
leigh1673

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamp View Post
Ok, I have a smart phone, but this thread made me realize how little I actually use it as a phone! LOL! I use it as a GPS for directions in unfamiliar places and I use it to listen to books and music (using the Hoopla and Pandora APPs). I sometimes check my mail on it but we don't have a huge data plan so I only do stuff on the internet with it if I can use wifi. I text more than I call. I'm not a phone person!

Donna
Ha ha - this is SO me. I use my smartphone for 90% of non-talking related activities. Maybe 95. I use it for music, texting, logging calories and workouts, tracking my FitBit activities, etc.

I held out getting one for a looong time but I am so glad I finally gave in. It really is such a great multi-tasking tool.
leigh1673 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-16, 03:21 PM  
little bird

Quote:
I dropped my Verizon phone last summer when my contract ran out, bought a smart phone from Tracfone and paid for a year's worth of time, data, and texts, and the total was about 300$. I just added data for 30$ and got 2 GBs. I have never had a problem with it, even traveling to KY, MN, CA, and all over Arizona.
Thank you! My contract expired recently with Verizon. I am going to look into this.
Old 07-04-16, 02:26 PM  
videofit

I wish they'd bring back flip phones. Easier to hold and talk and the phone face is protected. I am fearful I will drop my phone so bought a little thing with a loop that sticks to the back of the phone. You hook your finger in it.

Tags
cell phone plans