Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-30-12, 09:25 AM  
Kajun

Tapout XT

Hello everyone! I am new to the board but have been doing DVD workouts for many years now. I go more for the extreme-type workouts including ones like P90X, Insanity, Asylum, Rip:60, RushFit, and P90X2. My newest addition to my every expanding library is TapouT XT. I have seen a few threads of those very interested in the program, and some who have ordered it. I received mine a few weeks ago now and while I have yet to start the official 90 day program as written (I have that scheduled for mid June, after I finish P90X2) I have watched all the DVD's now and done most of the workouts. What follows is my take on each of the 12 workouts and the overall series.

General Overview - This is definitely an extreme program, based on MMA workouts. Each workout is a continuous cycle of moves, each lasting 30-60 seconds, with a minute or less water break thrown in every 10 minutes or so. The last move in each workout is termed the "Killer Move" and they live up to that moniker. I have reached heartrates above 170 BPM and caloric burns during the workouts approaching 1000 and slightly over. I would equate this program to P90X meets Insanity, with both resistance and cardio in most of the workouts and done simultaneously. The moves however are completely unique, so buying this is not simply getting a workout set you may already have but in a different order. The main theme is explosive power and endurance, which is what MMA fighters need most.

Equipment needed includes resistance bands, one of which is provided, a leg band like the ones Cathe uses in many of her workouts, and a Yoga mat for the Yoga workout and times on your back if you do not have a padded workout floor like I am fortunate enough to have. There are no pull-ups or free weights used, and there is no need for them in this program. As a matter of fact I would not even recommend trying to sub free weights for the bands. Also good to have, but not required, are weighted gloves for the hands for extra resistance for the punches.

The instructor - Mike Karpenko - is quite enjoyable to listen to and not overbearing, his instructions are very easy to follow, and having some known names in the MMA world doing the workouts is a nice added bonus.

Workouts range from 16 minutes (which is the Ultimate Abs workout - similar to the Ab Ripper workouts in P90X and P90X2 in style but completely different moves) to almost an hour. Most clock in between 45-55 minutes. All the workouts are very well done and professionally put together with individual move and overall countdown clocks on the bottom of the screen. There are no "dud" workouts and all the workouts are different so that you are not feeling like you are simply repeating things you have done on a different disc. It is also not so intense that you cannot go at your own level. In other words anyone can do these workouts and moves and improve over time.

In summary, this is one of the best workout sets I have ever bought. I have nothing negative to say about any of the workouts and the results shown in the ads are legitimately obtainable during this 12 week program. I cannot wait to do the program as written and all of these workouts will definitely be included in personalized hybrid programs thereafter.

And as for customer service - I ordered the product, received a confirmation email with tracking within 2 days, and received the product very quickly. I did not order the deluxe set as I thought that double the price for two extra discs, a yoga mat and weighted gloves (which I already owned) was too expensive. Other than that, a great experience. I love it when things go as I think they should.

I hope this helps anyone interested in this program and look forward to being a part of this community and learning about other programs to add to my library. Please feel free to ask anything I did not address.
Kajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-12, 09:34 AM  
Buffgirl

Thanks for the review...

I have been thinking about getting this set, but I am doing Pump right now and enjoying it. I think this is next on my list.
Buffgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-12, 09:35 AM  
Missiscipi

Welcome to VF!!

I agree with EVERYTHING you said on this system. GREAT review!
Missiscipi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-12, 09:36 AM  
momof10

Kajun - Welcome to the boards!!!! I just want to say that I agree with your review of this system. I have done all the workouts,plus quite a few more than once. There are no duds in this set at all. I haven't found a negative about this system either. I am just absolutely loving it. Mike is very innovative with all of his moves. I love how he adds twists or turns to all the moves that seem to be old school. It is the best system I have bought ever and I have bought a lot of systems. This is definitely a winner!!!

Cheryl
momof10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-12, 09:37 AM  
Pie
VF Supporter

Thank you so much. I just received my set yesterday and I'm very excited to get started. So far, I love the packaging. I do believe that the product must be exceptional because rarely do a company offer a 90 day guarantee. I didn't know about this and it's a pleasant surprise. I only previewed the first workout and it looks tough but doable and dare I say, FUN.

Results are not made in the Comfort Zone........ - Mike Karpenko
Pie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-12, 10:12 AM  
Helen S
VF Supporter

Kajun, Welcome to VF!!! Thank you for your review. Have you read the other Tapout XT thread? It sounds like a lot of VFers agree with you.
Old 03-30-12, 10:19 AM  
Castella

Can someone provide a few examples of what the unique moves are? Or what makes them unique?

I'm just curious. I have 2 of the dvds and I'll be doing one tonight I hope. I've been drawn in before by the allure of unique movies only to find that they weren't new or unique to me, or that they were TOO unique (too risky like trying to do pushups on multiple balance balls). I am not saying that is the case here. Just curious.
Castella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-12, 10:38 AM  
suegy3

Awesome! Thanks so much for the review. What type of results are you getting?
suegy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-12, 01:11 PM  
lapis
VF Supporter

Hi Kajun,

Welcome to the Board! I also agree with everything you have stated ..... I am on week 3 and loving every minute of it.

What I appreciate about the workouts are that they are doable (not killer) but yet I feel that I work my body out more with Tapout XT than any other system I have done.

The only minor issue is that many will find that the reistance band included may not be enough, and therefore will have to purchase a heavier resistance band, if they don't own other pairs at home (but again a real minor issue.)

Also Tapout XT if you are reading this thread ....... I NEED MORE TAPOUT XT ...... hopefully there will be more offerings in the future!!!!!
lapis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-12, 01:15 PM  
bee1forfitness

Welcome, and thank you for the review...I'm interested in this program
bee1forfitness is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tapout xt