Video Fitness Forum

Video Fitness Forum (http://forum.videofitness.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://forum.videofitness.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Multiple workouts in same day? (http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=232119)

kat999 12-14-21 11:37 AM

Multiple workouts in same day?

I've got some time off coming, and while my break will be full of holiday prep and reading, I've been considering aiming for multiple workouts a day, with a few caveats. First, I'd only do one "harder" workout, not two, so the second workout of the day would be yoga, pilates, fusion, or stretching-focused, not strength- or cardio-focused. Secondly, only one would be longer, not both, or else the total time would be two hours, max. And finally, I wouldn't do them one right after the other.

How many of you do this? Is there a risk of injury? I've done it in the past but I was younger then, and while I got some good results, I also don't want to hurt myself at all.

edensmom 12-14-21 11:53 AM

I used to do it every day up til about 6 years ago. I think if you are doing a strength type workout in one session and a lighter cardio or more restorative workout in the next it's probably fine. I've also read that it's beneficial to separate your strength workout from your hiit workout so you can give each full intensity, if you plan to complete them the same day. At some point you reach the point of diminishing returns because rest is also an important part of achieving fitness goals.

Gams 12-14-21 12:26 PM

I do this every day. There’s always a risk of injury no matter what you do. I don’t do killer workouts anymore and I do weights every other day. It works for me.

fanofladyvols 12-14-21 01:07 PM

I have done this (at various times this year) but usually broken up throughout the day works best.

None of the sessions last longer than 45 and most are usually each at the 30 min mark.

For me, timing was key to when I ate and had adequate sleep.

Come back and tell us what you think when you try it! :sun:

JackieB 12-14-21 01:13 PM

I sometimes will do a couple workouts a day of different exercise modalities.

I do have to comment that there is always a risk of overuse or injury. I know that as I have gotten older I need to listen to my body; I can no longer push it beyond it's limits.

Maybe you want to plan your own retreat at home? Focus on other areas of fitness besides the workout? Do some mental health work, healthy cooking, relaxation, meditation etc?

yogapam 12-14-21 01:53 PM

I often string short workouts together (30 min or less), but I always finish with something gentle like yin yoga or MELT Method. I don’t do intense workouts any more, stick with Essentrics, low weight/high rep strength (like Jessica Smith or Margaret Richard), walking & other low impact cardio, a little barre, and yoga. Sometimes I break them up, sometimes I do them together.

fanofladyvols 12-14-21 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JackieB (Post 2949614)
Maybe you want to plan your own retreat at home? Focus on other areas of fitness besides the workout? Do some mental health work, healthy cooking, relaxation, meditation etc?

What a brilliant idea!!

Jane P. 12-14-21 03:25 PM

I think one challenging workout and one with stretching followed by relaxation would be a good plan and would be beneficial to your body. Be careful though, as yoga and Pilates can be quite strenuous depending on what moves you do. You'll soon find out if you're doing too much.

I remember reading an article by Kathy Smith saying that, for fastest weight loss, you should do two circuit type workouts a day. I tried it several years ago, but it was too much for me. Always worth a try if you can handle it.

fatkat555 12-15-21 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fanofladyvols (Post 2949617)
What a brilliant idea!!

I agree!

fatkat555 12-15-21 09:55 PM

I’ve never found that the multiple workouts a day approach works for me. I think it’s a personal preference to do this method, but I find for me that I generally pour all effort into about an hour workout; therefore, I have nothing left in reserve for more. I find doing more than an hour just makes me irritable, hungry, tired, and with an “inflamed” feeling. Again, just my personal experience.