Video Fitness Forum

Video Fitness Forum (http://forum.videofitness.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://forum.videofitness.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Some questions on Foam Rolling (http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=222272)

pharma_gal 02-01-18 12:56 PM

Some questions on Foam Rolling

I have been trying to foam roll on my own. I want to know if its ok to foam roll the lower back? Some videos that I've watched do them and some caution against using it on the lower back.

Also, what parts of the upper body do you roll out? Im only doing the lats right now but I'm wondering if anyone foam rolls the chest and smaller muscle groups like biceps and triceps. Can you list the parts that you foam roll?

Lastly, any good book on foam rolling? Thanks!

bex 02-01-18 11:09 PM

I never foam roll the lower back. I think it could be dangerous for the kidneys. If I foam roll my back, I stop at the bottom of the ribs.

That being said, I do similar rolling/accupressure with a tennis ball on some parts of my lower back. Generally the muscles parallel to the spine, and the cener point of each side where the glute muscles branch from, at the top of your pelvis.

If in doubt, get a trained physiotherapist or massage therapist to show you which areas are ok.

rheash92 02-02-18 01:53 PM

Bumping because I would also like to know especially of any books or follow along workouts. Thanks!

BunnyHop 02-02-18 05:36 PM

The only foam rolling I do is the sort with a MELT Method soft foam roller. They do have dvds.

nuttymom 02-02-18 10:23 PM

I foam roll my: lats, glutes, it band, hamstrings, calves, quads...I think that's it? I've never tried bis or tris, seems like it would be awkward at best and not helpful. I use a lacrosse ball or 2 for my neck and shoulders, and feet.

Vantreesta 02-03-18 12:00 AM

For my lower back I use a squishy ball (like Barre3 or Coregeous) but not my foam roller. I also use it for my bad hip when it is really hurting. I use YTU balls for my upper and mid-back. I use my harder roller for my hams, quads and calves and my soft roller for my shins.

I really like using P90X2 Recovery+Mobility if I want to use a DVD to follow. Also Denise Beatty's Fitness Fix has a short foam rolling segment (and beautiful scenery).

suzannaerin 02-03-18 03:05 AM

Cody app has several PT bundles that provide excellent myofascial release sessions using a roller and balls. It would be well worth $20 to sign up for a month and learn the techniques. I’ve always heard that you shouldn’t roll you lumbar spine but can use balls on your QL.

rheash92 02-03-18 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suzannaerin (Post 2758200)
Cody app has several PT bundles that provide excellent myofascial release sessions using a roller and balls. It would be well worth $20 to sign up for a month and learn the techniques. I’ve always heard that you shouldn’t roll you lumbar spine but can use balls on your QL.

Could you tell me which ones? I can subscribe for a month. Thanks!

suzannaerin 02-03-18 07:08 AM

Check the mobility and pt sessions by Matt and MacKenzie.

Hattie 02-03-18 07:51 AM

I found this free downloadable guide on Self- Myofascial Release to be helpful. I first learned about it here on VF.