Video Fitness Forum

Video Fitness Forum (http://forum.videofitness.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://forum.videofitness.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Pull-Ups (http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=223745)

Lannette 07-27-18 05:38 PM

Pull-Ups

Can you do them? Do you want to do them? If you can do them how did you get to point of doing that first pull-up?

I have a goal to be able to do at least one proper wide grip pull-up by age 65. I’m 63 so you might say that this is a looong term goal. :p

I have a set of pull-up assist bands and can do 7 proper pull-ups in good form. I thought I’d move to the next lower band once I get to 10 pull-ups.

I’m also doing “hangs” and shoulder mobilization to decompress my shoulders, back and chest.

So tell me your experiences and ideas on the best way to achieve that single perfect pull-up.

Lannette 07-27-18 05:42 PM

I did search pull-ups and pull up bands. Just wondering if anyone has any other ideas.

Sara1000 07-27-18 08:32 PM

Pull ups are really hard. I used to regularly LOWER myself slowly from a pull up bar (hoping to build strength). I had a stool to get up there. Also they have a machine at the gym that assists you. I used to use that regularly but never built up much. I now just double up a band and hold it over my head with one hand, pull down with the other.

I hope I never slip off a ledge and have to pull myself back up :p

noodles 07-27-18 08:39 PM

I used the lowering down trick myself as well and eventually was able to do a couple unassissted pull ups myself. Was a proud moment :)
Jamie

Lannette 07-28-18 06:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sara1000 (Post 2783374)
Pull ups are really hard. I used to regularly LOWER myself slowly from a pull up bar (hoping to build strength). I had a stool to get up there. Also they have a machine at the gym that assists you. I used to use that regularly but never built up much. I now just double up a band and hold it over my head with one hand, pull down with the other.

I hope I never slip off a ledge and have to pull myself back up :p

I don’t have access to a gym other than my home gym so no assisted PU machine. I use my Pilates Cadillac. That means that my knees are bent in the lower position.

Quote:

Originally Posted by noodles (Post 2783375)
I used the lowering down trick myself as well and eventually was able to do a couple unassissted pull ups myself. Was a proud moment :)
Jamie

I may start doing this for my second set just to see if the variation helps me gain more strength.

What amazes me is how Total Body the movement is. I was telling my DH that I think I could do Push-ups, Assisted Pull-ups, some hanging Callanetics Open/closes (my knees are still partially bent) and hangs where I bend my knees into my chest (or as close as I can get) and then extend my legs in front so my body is in an “L” shape and get a really great Total Body WO.

adrien_73 07-28-18 08:31 AM

Pull-ups are SOOOO hard for me. I have a door gym and use the heaviest/thickest Iron Woody band for the assistance, and I can still only do about 4-5 reps. :(

I'm pretty good at "dangling" though...just hanging on for dear life! :D

Hattie 07-28-18 09:06 AM

At age 62, I did my first unassisted chinup which happened halfway through my second P90X rotation. Of the several methods I used to get there, the most effective was negatives. I used several less exhausting ways for each subsequent pullup chapter. I did hangs and pullups with a lower bar (with feet on floor or step), with assisted 2" or 1" resistance bands, and/or with total gym. It really surprised me the first time I did an unassisted chinup. I came up like I was on a spring. I was underweight at 112 at the time, so I suppose that helped somewhat. I have a power rack in my basement near my washing machine. Every time I did laundry, I would also do as many chinups as possible to increase the number. I have gotten away from doing pullups consistently and have found it is like starting from scratch to do them. It is a lot of hard work.

Lannette, your being an exercise therapist, I don’t have to tell you that a shoulder warmup and stretches after pullups is essential. I like Kristina Nekyia’s Shoulder School with chapters on stabilization, strength, and mobility for some of that. If I am not mistaken, I think Tony Horton does the Ls for abs in the P90 Plus series. Good luck with your goal.

FirmDancer 07-28-18 10:22 AM

I'm working on pull-ups too! I just turned 62. I'm using the assisted machine at the gym. But now I'll add on some hanging.
-Anita

Demeris 07-28-18 02:46 PM

I can't do a pull up, although I would love to be able to.

I just came on to tell a story: I knew a guy in college, a smaller guy, about 5'6" and about 135/140 pounds of solid muscle. His ONLY workout was 50 pull ups a day (this was in the late 70s, so we all thought he was a little tetched in the head).

Sara1000 07-28-18 02:47 PM

I think pull ups, push ups and crunches makes a pretty thorough regimen.