Video Fitness Forum

Video Fitness Forum (http://forum.videofitness.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://forum.videofitness.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   An Introduction--Join Me!! (http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=11706)

Becky D 11-23-01 10:29 AM

An Introduction--Join Me!!

This new forum and Joanna's "Round Up" thread have inspired me. That's right--I've finally decided to de-lurk and emerge from my self imposed cyber-closet! I know in the past we've had a few "get-to-know-each-other" threads; let's do it again!

Edited to remove personal information.

OK--to make this fitness related: My favorite videos are weights (cardio=blech!) and my favorite instructor is Cathe. I look to VF on a daily basis for inspiration and motivation to continue my fitness journey. You are a wonderful group of ladies (and gentlemen!) and I look forward to posting more often!!:rolleyes:

SharonNYC 11-23-01 11:21 AM

Good idea Becky. I'll play.

I've been visiting VF since summer of '96, but was a lurker for a long time. I've used recordings to exercise with since 1982 (started with vinyl Fonda).

I'll be 57 in February and live with husband and cat near Prospect Park in Brooklyn, NY. I've recently been trying to make one of the most momentous decisions I've been faced with: retire from my curatorial job in photography and spend all my time in my studio (well, it's also my workout space you know) or stick with my curatorial job and get ulcers and various neurotic tics. Well, I'll retire in the next six months. Getting enormous amount of paint and canvas to celebrate (husband is giving me the canvas).

Currently pretty fixated on yoga, but I also like strength workouts. Cardio is my weak point, but I always intend to keep up.

Loretta S. 11-23-01 11:38 AM

I like your cow!

I've been visiting VF for about 2 years now. I've never been a lurker. It's not in my nature. When I have an opinion about something, I've just got to post. I'm 38 and my husband & I just celebrated our 10th anniversary. We live in Bellingham, WA with our four cats. I work as a comptuer technician for a company that builds commercial aircraft interiors.

My dad's family is originally from northern NM, near Las Vegas, NM. I do have some land there to which I someday would like to retire and raise alpacas. I knit and spin, mostly knit, and teach knitting classes.

For videos I like yoga (mostly Living Arts), strength (Cathe, Firm, Body Bar, a few others, I have a big variety). I've pretty much pared my cardio selection down to Christi Taylor, Kari Anderson, a few Cathe's & Charlene Prickett and one Andre (hmm..that doesn't sound very pared down, but for a vidiot it is). I also take Iyengar yoga clases which I enjoy immensely.

AZY 11-23-01 12:04 PM

Hi!

I am much more of a lurker than poster as well - though I enjoy everyone's opinions and have resolved to try and do some reviews myself, since others so generously take time to do the same. They are so helpful!

I am a pediatrician who cares for children in intensive care and on the regular hospital ward - a nice mix, but the hours stink. I'm 41, live in Raleigh, NC with my husband of almost 2 years and two dogs. We were both happy singles up to 39, and then wham! Freedom gone forever, but to a new adventure!

I'm in a yoga fix right now as well - I had major knee surgery in January and still haven't regained full mobility or strength, but yoga seems to be helping the most, although Cathe's S and H comes in a close second. My high impact Cathe days are over, but I still love to do a step tape every once in a while for big fun - the CTX's are good for that. So my favorite stuff would be ashtanga yoga tapes, Cathe, used to do a lot of the older Firms, and some t-tapp - it' a whole different thing, like pilates.

After doing two almost daily yoga workouts, my body feels better than it has in a long time - interesting.

Thanks for the fun thread,

Cheers!
Anne

FitBoop 11-23-01 12:18 PM

Love these intro threads

I've been participating in this forum since I found it in December of 1999. Back then, I had posted in a thread and said that it would be a good idea for VFers to make their own video; Kristin A. posted a reply to me and said, "why don't you start a thread?" So, I did, and received all sorts of replies, and thought it was so cool to be able to "talk" to so many great people from all over; I was instantly addicted!

Kate**Roberts 11-23-01 01:12 PM

Introducing myself

I don't post often either, although I do check in nearly every week at the CCT check in. I always enjoy the GD threads. I come here one or two times a day:) This is my source of inspiration and motivation.

I am a young stay at home mother of 4. I have been married to my husband for 11 years. I love being home with my kids- I woudn't have it any other way.

I love Cathe, Kari, and Christy. I like very complex choregraphy. I hate TIFTing. Just give me the moves fast and furious! I also want my video covers to be good looking. Nothing bugs me more then dorky covers! The highlight of my fitness year was going to the Kari roadtrip :D I really enjoy step, but I try to balance my week with step, hi-lo, and strength. I love to keep track of my workouts. Setting a goal for the 2001 workout challenge has been so wonderful. It really helps me get out of bed because I love to see my numbers increase.

I've been here for about 2 years and have loved everything about it!

Kate

Rainy L. 11-23-01 01:41 PM

Hi! I'm Rainy--that's how my family pronounces "Renee," so that's how I post. I am an educator in North Central Montana, and have a supportive DH, a wonderful son in university on the coast, and two wonderful teenage daughters.

I found VF two(?) years ago, and consider it my on-line home. What a great group of women! And when they say that they have no trouble spending other people's money, they are not lying! :p

I've been doing a Firm rotation for the past few months, and although I love them, I'm getting a little burnt. I think that I'll switch to a Cory/Kari (BikerBabe/BalletEarthMother;) ) rotation for a few weeks, and after Christmas (I'll be getting myself the new Tamilee "I want those" set to add to the new stretch videos I love), I'll do a Tamilee/treadmill rotation.

Wishing you a good weekend. I'm looking out the window at a VERY gray day--very unusual unless there's SNOW in the offing, and I think that there is, because the geese are hunkered down in the river, and all the deer have left the wheat field and are cozied up in the boonies.

Stac 11-23-01 02:16 PM

Hi all

Wow, my first post on the new board. Hope it works. As for me, I've been on this board (and all its various incarnations) since 1995. I don't post as much as I used to, but I still love reading everyone's opinions. They are always so helpful in my fitness journey.

Hmm, let's see. I am a cardio junkie... I still feel like I need to drag myself to do strength training, but I love to do step, hi/lo, run, swim, etc. Favorite instructors - Christi and Franny for hi/lo and Cathe for step. Oh, and I just love Mindy for all-around cheering up. Guess that's about it.

Donna Mc 11-23-01 02:26 PM

This is so Fun!

I discovered VF when I was still doing Richard Simmons videos and needed to expand my horizons. I was very heavy at the time and Richard Simmons got me off the couch and moving again. I decided I really loved working out at home and started looking to the internet for video reviews. That's when I discovered VF. First I only used the reviews then I discovered the forum and the exchange and my life has been changed forever!! You are a great bunch of gals (guys too) who have inspired and motivated me more than you'll ever know. You will find me mostly in the beginner checkin but I want to be more involved and this is a great way to start.

I live in a suburb of Cleveland with my husband, who is very supportive of my fitness journey, my seven year old daughter who thinks I'm weird to workout at all and our hamster, Samantha. Other than fitness, I collect penguins and old money and silver coins. I have quite an extensive collection since I was a bank teller for 10 years before becoming an Administrative Assistant.

That's about it, kind of boring but that's ok with me!

Jennifer R 11-23-01 02:47 PM

Celebrating the new board!

I'm Jen R, 48 years old, and live on the Big Island of Hawaii. Have lived in Hawaii since 1995, before that in Northern California (Hi Donna!) and St. Croix--my husband of 21 years is an island boy and we can't be too far from the ocean--now we're just across the street! I'm an ICU/ER nurse at a small rural hospital here.

I've been with VF since 1996--thanks for the memory jog, WWWendy; and it is my on-line home too. I've been pretty much a life-long exerciser, but I avoid any sports or activities that involve speeding projectiles aimed at me. I love complex choreography a la Kari, Christy and Patrick G (ooh, I also have this long-lived fantasy of finding him stretched out on the beach one day . . .). TIFFT=yechh for me. For strength, I've discovered I have little patience with gym-style set/rep routines and do better with a FIRM-style video. I've had to give up lifting heavy this past year because of arthritis, but my joints are grateful; and I actually think I look a little better.

Other interests are scuba diving and snorkeling, kayaking, reading (voraciously), cooking--especially ethnic cuisines, hiking and TRAVEL! Just finished a wonderful trip to New Zealand in September.

Good to see so many people de-lurking!

lynnem3 11-23-01 03:36 PM

It's About Time I Introduced Myself!

I started coming to VF for the reviews about four years ago and began lurking on the forum and exchanging with other VFers about two years ago. I am not shy by any means, but I just never got around to posting. I have received a lot of advice, information and encouragement from this forum, and I appreciate everyone's perspective.

I am 40, have been married 2+ years, and have a 1 year old daughter. In June, my husband took a job in the Washington, D.C. metro area, so we sold our house in Ohio and purchased one in Northern Virginia within 6 weeks (talk about stress and sticker shock!).

I have been an elementary teacher for the past ten years, but I am lucky enough to be a SAHM for now. It has brought unexpected joy to my life! I decided that along with the many new changes in my life, that I would begin particpating in the new forum.

Given a chance, I would do step or circuit workouts all the time. I've also discovered kickboxing (I know I'm way behind!) this year. I have developed a healthy respect for core strength workouts because I had absolutely no core strength after my pregnancy. I workout 3x a week for 45 to 90 min. balancing cardio, strength, and yoga/stretch. I am finally beginning to make progress on my pregnancy weight, and am regaining my prepregnancy fitness level!

Emily B 11-23-01 03:49 PM

As you can see from my log in name, I am Emily, a 25 year old SAHM to a gorgeous baby girl, Anna. I have been married for a little over 2 years to my best friend who is in his second year of law school in Little Rock, AR. I love being married and being a mom, and I wouldn't have it any other way. I am from South Carolina, but I have lived in Utah, Idaho, New York, and now Arkansas. I have a degree in English from BYU in Utah, and I plan to go back to school one day (when kids are older) to do something - but I don't know what.

I have been working out since I was 15 years old. That's when I got my first gym membership and started running cross country. I was a gym-a-holic until we got REALLY poor with DH in law school and me staying home with a baby. I discovered videos in January 2000 (Cathe's BodyMax was my first), and I have been visiting VF since around that time, I think. I really miss going to a gym, but it is so much more convenient to work out at home now that I have a baby. Our dream is to build a big fitness room one day - DH loves to workout, too.

I'm excited because DH will be clerking for a firm in Columbia, SC this coming summer, so I plan to join the Firm for the summer. I love Cathe, Franny, Christi, the Firm, and anything else intense and complex. I love to think when I workout, so that's why I love choreography. Working out is my number one passion and probably always will be. I hope to keep it up until I die!

jaj999 11-23-01 04:13 PM

Hi everyone

I'm mostly a lurker also, but I have posted a couple of times. I'm single, early 40s and I now live in New Jersey - I can't wait to get back west. I lived in Nevada for 10 years & I miss the desert. I'm in the east doing a phd in computer science (if my genie isn't working, I'll be quite embarassed).

I discovered VF last summer when I was looking for more challenging videos. I like strength training best, but I also do step. Hi-lo is hard because I'm space challenged. Right now I'm in a Cathe phase (week 3 of slow & heavy) and before that I was loving the Firm. I also belly dance (hence the genie), though not as much as I did when living in Reno.

Celia M 11-23-01 04:19 PM

Hi de hi, all!

I'm 41 - 42 in a couple of weeks :eek:. Married for just over two years to a man I went steady with in high school, then didn't see for 20 years. Also have a wonderful 13 year old stepdaughter, and 2 cats, Aloysius and David Ann (Al and Dave) round out our happy home. We all live in the Sacramento CA area.

Work-wise, I run a small obscure government agency that, contrary to Todd trippers assertions, is NOT the CIA. We plan and fund major transportation projects, like freeways and train service.

I've been on VF since sometime in late 1996 or early 1997 - never much of a lurker, but not the most consistent poster in the early years. Now I'm just a junkie, both for VF and videos. Current stock is around 120, plus another 100+ I've traded or given away.

I'm a step fiend, love the complex stuff. Christi, Andre, Franny, and the Anderson sisters get a lot of use, but I love lots of variety, too. But from this forum I've learned the importance of cross training, so I also do strength at least twice a week (FIRM or Cathe, mostly), plus hi/lo. I've even added a couple of yoga tapes.

Joanna 11-23-01 04:22 PM

Since I helped inspire this thread, I should probably participate :-) My name is Joanna, I am 24 and I live in Toronto. I am living with parents until I finish school in April (finishing up a post-grad journalism program) and cannot wait to be a "real" grown-up and move out again (I did my undergrad out of town and loved the freedom). I have been posting on VF for two years. I started with Joyce Vedral's tapes, and although I don't use them anymore for various reasons, I am grateful to Joyce for getting me started. I have almost 100 tapes, although I have seen/tried/traded at least as many more. I love strength training best of all, and although I am a very, very bad stretcher (NO natural flexibility at all) I have been trying to work on that more. I have a few cardio tapes I enjoy, but I am a huge choro-klutz and tend to prefer machines for cardio work.

One of the highlights of my VF experience has been having the opportunity to meet several VFers in person, at Canfitpro two years running, and when various VFers have been in Toronto for vacation and business and have looked me up. On one occasion, I got to go somewhere else for work, and on very short notice, Abbe went out of her way to meet me for coffee in downtown New York. I always enjoy meeting VFers, it is so much fun! Although...Abbe had just come from video shopping and was all "oh, it's too bad you couldn't come with me" and I only had two hours to spare and several PR people babysitting me and not letting me do anything fun :-)

I also met Christi Taylor, twice, at Canfitpro. She is EXTREMELY nice, and very generously had dinner with us and hung out with us and told us lots of cool stories. She seems to plan to make Canfitpro a regular thing, so I hope I will see her again. If anybody else has not met her in person and has a chance to do so, do it! And if you are in Toronto, call me and we can meet :-)

Joanna

susan p 11-23-01 04:32 PM

We've gota bunch of Klingons here. . .

Love to see all you lurkers "de-cloaking" (haha!). LOVE lurkers, y'all are great. Although now that I'm a Pennsylvanian I'm going to have to learn to say "youse guys" instead of "y'all."

At any rate, I'm 38, mom of three daughters, SAHM, exerciser on and off since my Bodies In Motion with Gilad days back in 93 (when my honey and I got our first TV after 8 years of marriage). I found VF, which greatly expanded my horizons, the week before Thanksgiving in 1998 and have enjoyed MANY get-togethers with fellow VFers. I'm a cardio kinda girl, love choreography, especially hi-lo! I'm the world's worst over-poster (like Loretta, it's just not my nature to lurk! I gotta TALK!) but now that we have a forum with an "ignore" feature, that shouldn't be a problem, LOL!! Y'all (or youse guys, take your pick) can just TURN ME OFF!!:D :D

SooeyGun 11-23-01 04:38 PM

Starting back on track

I have just started posting in the last week (mostly questions), though I have been lurking for about a year.

I am also in Toronto, Canada. My husband and I moved back here after 6 years working as chefs in the mountains of Banff, Alberta. I used to exercise at home a lot, but living in such a beautiful place inspired me to hike instead. Moving back to the city meant no more mountains to climb and I gained weight rapidly.

Now, I am back on track with the exercise and not being a chef anymore has taken away a lot of the food temptations. Although my husband still does it and cooks fabulous meals for me. I hope I can find the time to post some of our healthier recipes.

I work out about 5 times a week for an hour and since we don't have a car, I walk a couple of miles per day. My favourite instructor is David Snively, who has a show in syndication here in Canada. I tape the episodes and mix and match depending on what I want to accomplish. I have been picking up more tapes based on the advice on this site. Thanks for all the reviews!!

Becky D 11-23-01 04:44 PM

Cool!

Wow--how cool to log-on and see replies to my post!!

I can't believe I forgot to talk about my "kids". We don't have any of the human variety (yet!) but we adore our three kitties; Norman, Cagney, & BC. And I'm sure most folks think we treat our canine friends like people. Elway and Ripkin (can ya tell we're sports fans?!) are our Border Collie dogs and are the smartest and cutest dogs in the world (in my completely objective opinion:rolleyes: ).

Anyhow, I hope more newbies and VF regulars continue to post. This is FUN!!

Kelly D 11-23-01 04:57 PM

It's hard to remember exactly when I found VF but I thnk it was around the Summer or Fall of 1999. I actually began exercising consistently in January of 1999. I only had about 5 or 6 videos at the time. Times have changed. I probably have at least 75 to 80 videos now. I love step but have begun to love hi/lo since I discovered Christi. My favorite instructors are Cathe, Christi, and Andre with a little Mindy thrown in.

I stay home with my 2 1/2 year-old son. I do medical transcription work at home part time. I have been married for 6 years and we have two dogs, a lab and a mutt (Tucker and Shelby). I have lived in Birmingham, Alabama all of my 32 years but plan on moving next year as soon as we get a house built. The move will be only about 30 minutes from where we live now but it's definitely a different kind of place (country). We bought 15 acres and, although I will miss my little house, I am looking forward to the move.

I love crafts and I crochet, crossstitch, and draw. I love to play the piano and have played for my church for about 17 years. (WOW, I'm getting old) I also like to read mysteries and LOVE to cook.

Nothing exciting but it's me! :)

Barbara P 11-23-01 06:00 PM

Oh I love these threads :)
I've been coming to VF since I got my first home computer, which was May 1996. I found VF shortly afterwards, so it's been 5 1/2 years here for me. Thanks to VF I have all of Cathe's tapes and all the Firms also! And Christi's! I don't know that I would have tried them without VF.
I'm 49, married (16 years TODAY) have a 9 1/2 year old son, 2 cats, 7 fish and live in CT. I work part time (thank GOD) at the old insurance company in Hartford CT.
I also swim every day and go to the fitness center at work and take classes. I have now, let's see, 200 tapes??? And with the new firms and SuZan and Tracies tapes coming out...hmmm..

I've also had the opportunity to meet many other vidiots, many of whom frequent VF, HI JOANNA! Joanna and I got together when I was on vacation in Toronto in August. Last year I also got to meet Christi Taylor in Toronto but missed the VF get together by 1 day :(
I've also been on 4 Firm trips, including the recent infomercial one, which Joan Boadway was also on, we had a GREAT time! All night long!

Also thanks to VF, as I mentioned, I started the Firm, joined their email list, and in October several of us ran the Hartford CT 1/2 marathon, my very first race. 2 firmies came from NY area, and 1 flew in from Detroit for the race. It was awesome.
VF has really added a lot to my life and I'm very grateful!!
Barbara P

WTK 11-23-01 06:25 PM

almost 2 years!

Hi, y'all! I can't believe I've been coming to VF for nearly 2 years now. I found VF in January 2000 when I was looking for video reviews on the internet. I didn't find the forum right at first, but once I did, wow! It has really helped keep me motivated.

I'll be 27 next Thursday and live in Little Rock, Arkansas, with my (dear, wonderful, amazing, standing over my shoulder commenting) husband of 4 1/2 years and our 6 month old daughter. As my signature says, I'm also a SAHM and will one day pass the CPA exam, go back to work, and be a true CPA. For now, though, I'm happy being a mom.

My favorite type of workout is hi/lo. Christi Taylor is just about the greatest thing VF has done for me, other than motivation. I'm not doing much with videos at the moment, though, b/c of being post-partum and not having time. I'm going to get back into them, though. I'm tired of still having this baby belly. Ick!

I will also figure out this vB code stuff. I WILL! I just haven't had time yet with the holiday.

WTK
New SAHM and future CPA

KayB 11-23-01 07:00 PM

I enjoy reading these intro threads so much! I feel like I get to know everyone a little bit better every time.

OK, here goes, I'm married to Art for almost 32 years, but REALLY I'm not that old! We're now empty nesters as the baby ran off to Joan Boadway's alma mater, UTK, a year ago. However, although the children are out of the house they've left their "stuff" and pets behind. We are the proud parents of two dogs, Barney, a hound, beagle? mix, Fezzik a college grad Akita/Shepherd mix, two cockateels, Theodore & Alvin, two fire bellied toads, Alfred & Chucklene and two salt water aquariums complete with fish. Thankfully our oldest daughter lives nearby & babysits for us so we can enjoy being empty nesters. Does the word "zoo" come to mind?

I think I found VF around '96. I started exercising with Firm Vol. 1 about 10 years ago & found VF while doing a seach for the Firm. I've learned so much here from all the very intelligent, sensible people who post here. I've enjoyed meeting fellow DC area VFers on three different occasions & they are even more wonderful in person.

I worked as an RN for 23 years & finally had the courage to decide I didn't want to do that anymore. Currently I'm a home maintenance person, gad-about & otherwise happy woman.

Along with Art I play volleyball, wallyball & enjoy playing board games. Recently we've become involved in geocaching which has led into hiking/cabin camping in the moutains. I enjoy sewing, quilting & needlework as well as reading.

My lifetime goal is to be able to do Rhythmic Step & Urban Training on my 100th birthday. You all are welcome to join me! I love weight training but I NEED cardio!

slaalaa227 11-23-01 07:05 PM

No longer a lurker!

Hey everyone,
I've been inspired by all the delurking and new forum software, and I am going to make it my Thanksgiving resolution (yes I just made that up) to post more often.

I did post even though it terrified me, to the "Is Yoga Enough" thread and it has gotten less scary (Thanks RUTH NYC for your encouragement) so I'm going to make a point to be involved.

When I first started coming to VF, in 1997, it was because I had just found Firm tapes and started exercising at home. Thanks to VF I found Cathe, Christi, and everyone else. I love Christi and Cathe and Yoga and I'm off and on (currently on) about the Firm- and Tae Bo. I love Tae Bo but I can't do it everyday.

I'm 27, a first year Doctoral student in Musicology, piano teacher and kitty mommy (to Sadie and Lucy). My wonderful BF also lives here (I just realized I put him behind the kitties, that can't be good!)

Hope everyone had a great holiday- wow I've managed to post once a day now for three days!
Sarah

Steph 11-23-01 07:07 PM

Hi Everyone!

I have been a lurker for a few years...I honestly don't remember how long... and have posted once or twice. I read the forum every day and have learned so much from all of you ladies!!

I am 38, have been married for 18 years, and have 5 children. Thankfully, I don't have to be employed outside the home so I am able to homeschool our kids.

I work out in the wee hours of the morning before anyone else is awake. I use Cathe for strength workouts, and a variety of others for cardio. I also enjoy running. Over the past 3 summers I have participated in 7 triathlons. I make my home in the Pacific Northwest.

I really enjoy this forum! I read it while I eat my lunch!! Maybe I'll be able to post more in the future!! For now, I enjoy reading what everyone else has to say.

Thanks!!!
Steph

kimjo 11-23-01 09:28 PM

Introduction

Hi, I am de-lurking to say hi and introduce myself. (Like Sarah, I will try to make it my Thanksgiving resolution to post more often).

I am a 35 year old computer engineer from North Alabama. I have been lurking at VF for about a year and a half. I came to VF to find out more about exercise videos and to read the reviews. I was inspired by the VF'ers to try different instructors and types of workouts but I have finally settled on the FIRM as the mainstay of my workouts. I am currently wanting to incorporate Yoga into my schedule. (Just bought Yoga Zone's Introduction to Power Yoga today!)

Anyway, just wanted to thank you guys for all the interesting posts from the last year and a half.

Kimberly :)

Isalay 11-23-01 09:34 PM

I'm another one of the infrequent posters who have been re-motivated to start posting due to the wonderful new forum!

I found VF around April 2000 when I was searching the 'net for info on videos. I'm 34 (35 in a few weeks! :eek: ) and I've been working out off and on for over 10 years. I'm currently single and live in Orange County, CA (wave to Caroline a soon-to-be OC'er!). I'm a Data Analyst for a large company who is a Medicare contractor.

I don't have kids but I have the sweetest dog, my maltese Fritz who I totally spoil :D. I also have 2 nephews who are 8 and almost 11 years old who think I'm like their sister due to my occasional bouts of silliness :o .

My sincere thanks to everyone here who continue to inspire and motivate me in my fitness journey. :)

Colleen 11-23-01 11:06 PM

Hi! I'm a newbie :)

I just started posting here, but I've been reading the reviews for several months now. I'm a grad student (microbiology), and I'm currently finishing up my Ph.D. project and writing my dissertation.

I started working out at home after long illness/surgery/recovery. I had been walking outside for cardio, but I was too weak to use the weight machines at the student rec center, and I didn't know how to use free weights :( . I started with a few Denise Austin videos (don't laugh - that's all they had at Wal-Mart :rolleyes: ). I outgrew some of my Denise videos, but I have to give her credit for getting me moving - and I still use her kickboxing and Pilates videos.

I discovered VF shortly after that, and was amazed at the variety of workouts available! It wasn't long before I had my first FIRM video, a full-size step, a "tall box" (Rubbermaid toolbox/step), several pairs of weights, and some aerobics videos with basic choreography. Recently, I tried some videos with more complex choreography (Kari, some CIAs). To my amazement, I could actually do them :D . I also started practicing yoga, which does wonders for my peace of mind.

My life is very stressful right now, and I depend on exercise to help me deal with the stress, and to give me the energy that I need to get everything done. I enjoy reading (a lot!), listening to classical music, skating, and watching some TV (hockey, football, X-Files, educational programs, and the occasional movie). I really don't do much else right now, since I spend most of my time working/writing. I also have two affectionate, playful cats who like to pester me when I'm trying to write :) .

Colleen

Jane C 11-23-01 11:33 PM

Hi

I love to read and post on VF. I discovered the website a few years ago, but began posting in earnest last spring.

I'm 46. I'm a public interest environmental lawyer. I moved back to my home town two years ago with my husband. We have two dogs and four cats. Before that I lived in NYC for 23 years.

I got spoiled with the NYC workouts, especially when I lived in Manhattan. I went to yoga, step, beginning jazz, ethnic (mostly afro cuban). When I moved upstate I couldn't find anything I liked and, with a pile-on of work stress, local comfort foods and car culture, gained alot of weight.

I've lost most of the weight by doing exercise videos and eating right. I've had a collection of maybe 20 videos since the mid nineties, but last February I started acquiring in earnest, and now I have around 175.

I went from Richard Simmons to Mindy and Christi - pretty quickly, actually - the good news for the relapse crowd is that the muscles do remember and come back!

I find VF to be a very respectful and friendly place, and am indebted to Wendy and the moderators who make it possible.

LeslieM 11-23-01 11:46 PM

Here goes...

I live in Southern Illinois, am 42, married 15 years to my best friend and have 5 kids ages 3-13. I found VF a little over 4 years ago while searching for reviews of exercise videos. I'd decided home workout videos were the only way to get consistant exercise ( I worked part time then, am SAHM now) and picked up a couple at Walmart (Weight Watcher aerobics, a Jane Fonda and the first Cindy Crawford)but didn't like them much. The first videos I found thru VF that worked for me were the Firm and I still use them for most of my strength training. For cardio, I love Christi and Andre's latest step video. Right now I'm burnt out on my cardio videos and am starting a walking program to get out in the great outdoors. When not busy in the kitchen, laundry or attending my childrens' sporting events, I like to read, do rubber stamping, chat with my childhood friend on icq and socialize with my family. My exercise goals are to feel good, increase my energy level and be able to travel and go with my husband when the kids are grown. I had the fortune to go to Midwest Mania a couple of weeks ago and met Christi Taylor, got her autograph and took her class. It was so great to meet her and other VFers. Leslie

cathgpo 11-24-01 01:28 AM

Hi all!

I am 24, and I am a grad student at UT Austin in Art Museum Education. I also work part-time with children who have autism and other cognitive disabilities. I have been married for just over 2 years. My husband is a high school math teacher. I also have a doberman named Jeremiah.

I have been posting with the Intemediates Check-In for awhile, but I have rarely posted on the GD board. I found VF last spring, just a couple months after I started working out with videos. When I moved a little out of town, and had no convenient gym, my mom suggested doing videos. At first, I thought she was completely crazy, but she convinced me to go to a used bookstore, and see what I could get cheaply. I got a Callanetics tape and a Jenny Craig aerobics tape. My collection has quickly swelled, and I have since sold those two tapes.

I have also had more success keeping with exercise and losing weight with videos. I think home exercise is much more appropriate for the way I schedule things. I guess my mom really did know best!;)

Glad to get to know all of you!

Catherine

cjayd 11-24-01 02:06 AM

Another Delurker

Hi, my name is Carla and I'm a video addict. I'm not joking!!! The exchange is addictive for me anyway. I've been lurking and occasionally posting since early 2000. I am 25 and live south of Tacoma, Washington. I have been married for four years to Jay, and we have one son, Jaylen, born in 1999. I work at home transcribing insurance statements.

I was on the hunt to lose baby weight when I went to Kathy Smith's web site which led me to VF. At that time she was also on Fitnessonline.com. When I discovered the reviews I was in heaven. I check in nearly every day to read the forum/video exchange etc. My husband calls everybody here my "Video Friends." In a way you are even though I haven't met any of you.

My favorite instructors are Cathe and Mindy. I LOVE stepping, but I also like to walk/jog on my treadmill, kickbox and jump rope. I swim if I ever have time. I do yoga and I also love ball workouts. I strength train with Cathe (who else). I try just about everything because I believe that every form of exercise has it's place in a balanced fitness routine. Hi/lo is my least favorite, but it is a must for sore knee days.

Thank you everyone who has a part in making this website. When I was trying to lose weight I just knew there was a website somewhere that had reviews of all the videos. I was so happy when I found all of you. Thank you all so much. I don't participate very often, but I really appreciate all those who do.

Felicia 11-24-01 05:37 AM

Hi everyone. I found VF in October 1999 while looking to add a video or two to my humble collection of 10 videos (Fonda, Smith, Gilad). I never knew anyone made videos. Within a week of finding VF, I placed my first Cathe order. I lurked for a few weeks and was so afraid to post that I emailed WWWendy my first question. She was so nice that I started posting.

I work for a large corporation in the computer industry. I'm 43, married for 18 years with a 14 year old son. My husband and son (although to me they complain about the time I spend exercising) are actually quite proud of my fitness accomplishments and "brag" to their friends and co-workers. DH almost got me into an aerobics challenge with one of his co-workers.

I have a large video collection. I was too afraid to count them until I got a video cabinet that holds 240 videos (thanks PamelaP), and I couldn't fit them all. My favorites are Cathe, Mindy, Franny, and Christi. My favorite all-time tape is Max Intensity Cardio because it is the tape that made me love weight training.

I come to VF at least once a day for inspriation and motivation (and ideas to spend more of my fitness dollars). I've been a shop-aholic since I graduated from college, but VF has put me over the edge and for that I am grateful!

Sharon T 11-24-01 09:15 AM

So great to "meet" the de-lurkers! While I have de-lurked in the past, I am an infrequent poster. I discovered VF about 3 years ago, but didn't make it past the reviews for a long time. I love this place because of the smart, funny, supportive folks who post here. My video collection has grown to about 100 with the help of recommendations and reviews here.

I'm 49, and due to a very recent career change, a librarian. I live in the beautiful finger lakes region of New York with my DH of 18 years. Proximity to the lake contributed to my new interest in kayaking - I started this fall. I also sail and bicycle, and I exercise so that I can continue hiking in the Adirondacks till I drop. I also knit, so "hello" to the yarn addicts out there.

My favorite videos are step, strength is a distant second, and stretching an almost nonexistant third. I glad there a such a number of diverse, talented, and creative people making videos these days to keep things interesting and motivating.

Sharon T.

Bev K. 11-24-01 09:57 AM

Hi everyone!

These are always fun threads! :) I found VF through the Cathe website back in either 1996 or 1997, right before the first Cathe trip. I used to post more frequently but for a while now I've just had enough time to read, not much posting.

I'm 42, married for 11 years and we have 2 girls, Alexa and Ashley ages 9 and 7. Since 1992 when Alexa was born I took early retirement from the bank I was with and I've been a SAHM ever since. I also manage our rental properties and do all the books for our business. AND, for the last year and a half my life has been consumed with our new house!!!! :D

This has probably been the worst year of my life as far as exercising goes. I've been so busy concentrating on the house stuff that I've let working out kind of slide. Oh, I do it every now and then but not anywhere near as much as I used to. HOWEVER, the good news is, we're done! Decorating is finished, had a huge housewarming party last weekend with about 70 people, food, music and too much fun. :) Now I'm getting back into a routine again and can finally use the exercise studio and equipment we put in! Yay!

My favorite instructor without a doubt is Cathe. I also like to walk/run on the treadmill, bike, rollerblade and love to kickbox!

Bev K.

SharonNYC 11-24-01 10:25 AM

Kay, your post struck a chord.

Quote:

Originally posted by KayB
I enjoy reading these intro threads so much! I feel like I get to know everyone a little bit better every time.

I worked as an RN for 23 years & finally had the courage to decide I didn't want to do that anymore. Currently I'm a home maintenance person, gad-about & otherwise happy woman.

Along with Art I play volleyball, wallyball & enjoy playing board games. Recently we've become involved in geocaching which has led into hiking/cabin camping in the moutains. I enjoy sewing, quilting & needlework as well as reading.

My lifetime goal is to be able to do Rhythmic Step & Urban Training on my 100th birthday. You all are welcome to join me! I love weight training but I NEED cardio!

I'm leaving my job after 33 years in the same institution and 20 years in the same job. It's scary, but I just have to have my own life at long last. The job originally supported my art habit but has steadily gained ground as it has become more and more demanding.

I'm exhilerated about the prospect of spending full days in my studio. But after wanting to do just that for all these decades I sometimes get scared I won't measure up to my own critical judgement. I love to hear about people who have done what you did.

And another thing: I too want to be able to heft cast iron and pretzle myself to inner calm when I'm decades more advanced.

jfs 11-24-01 11:06 AM

Hi everyone,
I've been lurking for about a year.This would probably be my 4th post ever.I love coming here,and especially enjoy reading about the VF trips and making of videos and infomercials.
I have also gotten so much inspiration and information from everyone here and spent a lot of money on new discoveries!:D I've also made some great exchanges and would like to take this opportunity to thank you all.
I'm from PA.I'm in my 40's and married for 25 years.My DH and I recently renewed our vows,it was lovely.We live with 3 wonderful cats.I am a pastry chef and even though I do have to taste and sample the baked goods occasionally,I'm really not tempted all that much.I'm always around the stuff and just want to produce the product.My DH works for the environment.
I have about 200 videos.My favorites are Cathe,Karen Voight,Tracy Long ,the Ali McGraw yoga tape and spinning tapes.I still remember my first Collage catalog(wish I kept it).I would sit and read and reread it.Dog ear pages and circle the videos I wanted.Then when I was really sure,I'd place my order.I got a lot of stinkers in those days before VF!I still get the same thrill when a new catalog comes out or I read on VF about a new video release.
As I said before I love coming here and look forward to reading everyone's future posts!VF is a great place to be.
Joy :)

Caroline Kim 11-24-01 11:53 AM

Hola

Hi everyone!

I'm Caroline and I've been a VF junkie since about this time last year. I began exercising regularly in late 97. I like step, hi-lo and kickboxing (I prefer complex choreo but on some days simple athletic moves really hit the spot) and in the last year I have come to love strength training as well. Thanks to VF I also started incorporating yoga into my weekly rotations. This year I started logging my workouts for the first time and am on track (I think) for completing 300 days...Most importantly, I have learned to love exercise not just for the fat burning benefits but for the way it makes me feel (strong, healthy and capable).

I am 28 and have been married for almost three years to a man from Peru whom I met salsa dancing in Kobe, Japan :rolleyes:. I was born in Central Illinois and currently live in the San Francisco Bay Area. I will be moving shortly to Irvine, CA. I had a great time meeting VFers on the Kari trip this year and through various Bay Area activities (Cardio Classic, Mindy trip, SF get-together, SELF workout in the park). I got to meet Sharon Muha when she was visiting San Francisco and walk across the Golden Gate Bridge together. I also had the pleasure of meeting Christi Taylor and taking one of her regular classes and now I also go to a gym where Jay Blahnik teaches!

I will miss the Northern Cal VFers a lot! However, it's a short plane ride away ;) I look forward to get-togethers in Southern Cal (thanks Lisa)! And the beauty of a virtual community like VF is it doesn't matter where you live!

Barb L 11-24-01 12:25 PM

Frequent Poster

I'm here often, so I will spare you the long introduction. Great to see all you de-lurkers. VF truly is the only place online I feel comfortable, and I'm extremely impressed with the diversity in all respects (not to mention the educational level) of this forum.

Thanks, Wendy, for the new software. I came in about the time of the last changeover--or the changeover before that? There are lots of new buttons to push, and I'll enjoy exploring. :p

ronnee 11-24-01 12:54 PM

Howdy all!

Hi all. I found VF in December 1998 and it helped me get back into a much better routine after having a kid (daughter) in 1997. I'm not a frequent poster, but do add my 2 cents occasionally and read this forum daily (ok, several times daily).

I am a professor of political science in San Diego, but on leave for the year in Princeton with DH who is also a Prof (he's a sociologist). I focus on women and politics and am currently writing a book that I hope to finish within the year. The academic gig is great; being a nerd has its rewards :D

As for exercising -- I love step, some hi/lo (Christi, the CIA sisters) if it's not too high impact, FIRM, yoga, Pilates, etc. Really I am a video slut with over 100 in my collection. I'm currently doing a PS rotation and loving it, despite my penchant for total body workouts. Cathe is just awesome. I curse her more than anybody.

Have a great day!

Ronnee

germaine 11-24-01 01:11 PM

Love reading everyone's stories

I'm 38 years old, married for 15 years and have always been athletic. I also obedience train my own 2 black labs and they are certified therapy dogs and visit the patients at the hosptial in which I work as a medical technologists(labratory). I'm also an aerobics instructor for the hospitla's fitness center, teaching kickboxing(Power Strike format) and Pilates/yoga. Until recently, I also taught step.

I've been around VF since spring of 1996 and used to post more often, but I'm involved in so much that unfortunately I post much less then I used to.:( My favorite instructors are Cathe, Kari, Jay Blahnik, Franny, Andre, Keli...OK, I think there's more instructors I like than don't like :o .

I also started running again due to my DH's inconsistency to exercise my dogs. I think I'm starting to enjoy it again. I also recently got a kickboxing bag and thoroughly enjoy beating it up! I will never say again that I don't/won't like any activity because I have surprised myself a number of times. I use to vow that I could never do yoga because it was too slow and boring, now I teach an intro class. Same goes for kickboxing(although I'm only fond of Power Strike)I've found that keeping an open mind is the best thing that I could do.