Video Fitness Forum

Video Fitness Forum (http://forum.videofitness.com/index.php)
-   Clothing, Shoes, Equipment, Gear (http://forum.videofitness.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   What is the stickiest yoga mat, please? (http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=58540)

tkeana 11-04-04 12:53 PM

What is the stickiest yoga mat, please?

Hi all,

I did a search of this forum but couldn't find the information. I have a Tapas basic mat, but I sweat like crazy, and whenever I go into downward dog, my hands inevitably begin their slow slide to the opposite end of the mat. It's maddening. Do any of you have this problem? Can you suggest a highly sticky mat? I saw a few on Amazon, but I thought it would be wise to consult you because you know the deal on these things.

Thank you in advance for your feedback.

SharonH 11-04-04 12:55 PM

My sticky mat is anything but sticky and I tend to have sweaty hands and feet, too. So, I use form fitting weight gloves on my hands and socks on my feet.

cyl 11-04-04 01:03 PM

I would suggest washing your mat with soap and water in a bathtub and seeing if that helps before buying a new mat. Sometimes new mats have a coating on them that needs to get either worn off or washed off before they get as sticky as possible.

Also, take a look at the yoga mat threads listed in The Yoga Mats and Props Reference Thread for suggestions.

Christina

luvcritters 11-04-04 01:07 PM

d

Sophie 11-04-04 01:44 PM

the search for sticky!

I think the reason it's hard to find a definitive answer is that there doesn't really seem to be a consensus - experience has varied widely. The thread Christina referenced is terrific and you'll see how variable the experiences have been!

I'm embarrassed to say I bought yet another mat last month (bringing my total to six :o ) in search of optimal stickiness and stability. Thus far, my stickiest mat is still my old Tapas, but that might just be due to its age - it's almost 9 years old. But the one I just bought, the deluxe mat from BodyMind workouts is quite decently sticky for a mat that hasn't really been broken in. I am optimistic it will do the trick for real sweatiness.

Dawn, huh? I have some by my kitchen sink - I'll give it a try!

Messe 11-04-04 01:49 PM

Debbie Stout recommended the Utopian mat sold by buymats.com (I bought mine from them on eBay). It is STICKY, and it's also very cushy.

wansley 11-04-04 01:56 PM

I started a yoga class about 5 weeks ago. I attend 2 times a week. I bought a cheap mat from target. It was very slippery. I use a towell on the end of my mat for down dog. Good news is that just this week, it became sticky. So use the mat alot and see if it helps. I think Ill always have a towell nearby to dry off. Good luck.

Kathryn 11-04-04 01:58 PM

I keep a towel by my yoga mat, and once I start getting sweaty, I find that putting the towel between my hands and the mat stops the slipping. It doesn't work, though, until you are a bit sweaty, as it's the slightly damp towel that does the trick.

Aline 11-04-04 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martha Edington
Debbie Stout recommended the Utopian mat sold by buymats.com (I bought mine from them on eBay). It is STICKY, and it's also very cushy.

I bought that exact one too, tried it and don't like it, because it's TOO cushy! Anyone want to buy it from me? (washed once to remove slipperiness but never actually used)

howardrsh 11-04-04 04:00 PM

I love the Utopian Mat that Debbie Stout recommended. I've had mine for over a year and I love it!

Robbin