Video Fitness Forum

Video Fitness Forum (http://forum.videofitness.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://forum.videofitness.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Balance practice? (http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=191879)

Sara1000 04-14-13 11:13 AM

Balance practice?

What workouts have good segments for improving balance?

Are there any that are not yoga workouts?

slysam 04-14-13 12:00 PM

I am really interested in improving and maintaining balance. I love to dance but I am naturally kind of accident prone. For self preservation I need to make my balance as good as possible. Yoga is pretty good for it, I think it seems to really strengthen the stabilizing muscles. But other than yoga, here are some that I found help me with balance...
*V-Core is great for this but it is a little dry
*the Fitness Fix workouts with Denise Beatty
*Some dance workouts especially ballet
*I find doing barre workouts without touching the "barre" helps a lot (an idea inspired by an adult beginner ballet class I took where we would sometimes take our hands off the barre and see if we can hold the position). X-tend barre is one of my favorites to use this way.
*Strength training programs that involve one-sided exercises like split squats, single legged dead lifts, alternating chest press, etc. Some examples I can think of is my balance improved a lot when I worked thought the paper program "Venus Index" which has a lot of these types of moves. Val Waters programs often have some of these as well. Also if I recall the dvd "Perfect Legs, Glutes and Abs" by Michele Olson has some of this as well.
*Standing Core work like in Ballet Body Core (the starting section)
*I think kickboxing would help too as would most dance workouts if you are looking for cardio options that also help with balance.

ETA: I recently discovered another workout that I think is great for balance but it does involves some yoga. It is called "Temple Goddess Workout" by Revital Carrol. It is a fusion of a style of Indian classical dance and yoga. It moves a bit slow, but it does really work on balance. I have a pretty high woo-whoo tolerance though. I don't recall any spiritual talk but I might have tuned it out.

A-Bot 04-14-13 12:05 PM

I think Tracie Long's Figure 30 workouts are suppose to have balance components. Bob harper has a short one on one of his called 'butt and balance' which is really nice. It may be on body rev cardio conditioning. V-Core is really good. I hear P90X2is very balance oriented. I can think of a lot of yoga.

Kari Anderson's Reach has a balance segment also.

mj476 04-14-13 12:06 PM

Kari Anderson - Reach and Angles, Lines and Curves
Petra Kolber - Elegant Strength
Shannon Fable - Beyond Balletone
Katalin Zamiar - The Method - Standing Pilates Blend
Jennifer Galardi - Ballet Body
Dr. Emily Splichal - V-Core

Marcy

yogapam 04-14-13 12:13 PM

I just finished Core Fusion 30 Day Sculpt and there was some good balance work sprinkled throughout it.

bee 04-14-13 12:14 PM

Yep, I was going to say V-Core and some of the Tracey Long's -- I can't remember which! And, some of the Dream Body's, for sure, but that's got a whole lot more than balance going on. Oh -- Balanced Assets, with Gin Miller.

Sara1000 04-14-13 12:18 PM

Thanks everyone for the great responses - you have given me a lot to look into. I used to have V-Core and it was great for balance but I didn't click with the instructor. I will check out the others mentioned.

lisarah 04-14-13 12:20 PM

I like:
Rushfit balance & agility
Budokon strength & balance (sorta yoga, sorta martial arts) :)

bee 04-14-13 01:23 PM

Oh, yeah.... what about Tonique?

Laura S. 04-14-13 02:28 PM

A lot of functional fitness type workouts involve balance practice. Tracie Long is a great example. Doesn't Erin O'Brien's workouts include balance work?