Video Fitness Forum

Video Fitness Forum (http://forum.videofitness.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://forum.videofitness.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   The All Things Winsor Pilates discussion (http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=206135)

Pat58 10-05-14 11:32 AM

The All Things Winsor Pilates discussion

VF fans of Mari, or even if you're not a fan but have a good knowledge of videos: I am on a mission to get my hands on every Winsor DVD made, from the original Guthey-Renkers to Gaiam and Shape.

Please help me complete my list so that I can begin scouring the internet to fill in the gaps!

Original Set:
  • 20 Minute Workout
  • Accelerated Body Sculpting
  • Advanced Body Slimming
  • Buns & Thighs Sculpting
  • Abs Sculpting
  • Upper Body Sculpting

Winsor Pilates Power Sculpting With Resistance:
  • Power Sculpting With Resistance
  • Advanced Power Sculpting With Resistance
  • Power Sculpting With Resistance - Buns & Thighs
  • Power Sculpting With Resistance - Abs

Winsor Pilates Maximum Burn Series:
  • Maximum Burn 20 Minute Series
  • Maximum Burn Advanced Series - Super Sculpting & Body Slimming
  • Maximum Burn Basics & Fat Burning - Sculpt Your Body Slim
  • Maximum Burn Cardio

Winsor Pilates Endless Fitness:
  • Endless Fitness for Beginners
  • Endless Fitness - Strength & Body Slimming

Individual titles from G-R:
  • The Back Workout and Flexibility & Strength Training
  • Pilates on the Ball
  • Pilates for Men

Dynamic Sculpting Circle:
  • 20 Minute Circle Workout and Accelerated Fat Burning
  • Beginners Sculpting Circle
  • Advanced Sculpting Circle

Dynamic Sculpting Ball:
  • 20 Minute Rapid Sculpting/Total Body Dynamic Sculpting
  • was there a separate disc using the mini ball?

Mari's workouts for the Supreme Pilates and Malibu Chair

The Winsor Slimming Pilates kit

Gaiam Titles:
  • Mari Winsor Pilates
  • Flat Abs Pilates
  • Lower Body Pilates
  • Beginner Pilates
  • Pink Ribbon Pilates
  • Cardio Pilates
  • Core Plus Reformer Kit

Shape Titles:
  • Pilates for Pink Core Challenge
  • Pilates for Pink Workout with resistance band
  • Pilates for Pink Slimdown

Books:
  • The Pilates Powerhouse
  • The Pilates Pregnancy

JustSandra 10-05-14 11:46 AM

There was a set of three Guthy-Renker videos (originally VHS but also released on DVD) that used a band:

-Power Sculpt Buns & Thighs, 21 minutes (I have a copy)
-Power Sculpt Abs, 15 minutes
-Power Sculpt Advanced, 48 minutes

Collage rated the first two as Intermediate, and the last one as Intermediate/Advanced.

JustSandra 10-05-14 11:50 AM

Maximum Burn Basics and Fat Burning were released together on one DVD. I actually did a VF review of this one. I no longer have the DVD, though. Per my review, Maximum Burn Basics is a 20-minute pilates workout which incorporates a pair of light dumbbells. Fat Burning is a 35-minute cardio routine (including warmup and cooldown) followed by 10 minutes of traditional (non-weighted) pilates matwork. The two workouts are separately chaptered on the start menu. I don't know if these were released on VHS.

bzar 10-05-14 12:18 PM

Pat,

slimming kit DVDs:
Superfast Body Blast
Rapid Results Pilates
ABsession
Quick Start Pilates Weight Loss
Pilates of the Fit and Famous

with Guthy Renker:
Pilates for Men

Band (G-R)
Power Sculpting with Resistance Sculpt Your Body Slim (pink outfit with turquoise band)
Power Sculpting with Resistance Advanced (blue outfit with turquoise band)
Power Sculpting with Resistance Abs (purple outfit with turquoise band)
Power Sculpting with Resistance Buns & Thighs (green outfit with turquoise band)

(need to confirm the list below - she used a similar title for 2 different workouts that were issued with the circle workout of the Maximum Burn Series)
Maximum Burn Advanced Series Super Sculpting
Maximum Burn Body Slimming
Maximum Burn Basics Fat Burning
Maximum Burn Cardio
Maximum Burn Accelerated Fat Burning

Endless Fitness Series (with G-R)
Endless Fitness For Beginners
Endless Fitness Strength & Body Slimming

With G-R
The Back Workout & Flexibility Strengthening

i'll add to my post later. i started a few threads on VF myself regarding her cardio videos (dancing).

Eibhinn 10-05-14 02:20 PM

Pat - when you know what titles you need, please let me know - either on this thread or by PM - what you need to complete your collection. For whatever reason, the last month or so my local second hand store has been absolutely awash in Winsor Pilates stuff, ranging from the very old to some fairly new stuff. No guarantees that's still the case, or it will continue, but if you let me know what you need I could swing by and pick up any you don't have. They're only $2 each, and in slim line cases that probably would be fairly cheap to ship.

Pat58 10-05-14 04:59 PM

Wow thank you for the replies, both public and private - I have to start dinner now but will get all my ducks in a row and reply tomorrow!

I went on Marketplace and have the stability ball workout and the back care one on the way. :)

bzar 10-05-14 09:54 PM

threads regarding the Maximum Burn series:

http://forum.videofitness.com/showth...ghlight=winsor

http://forum.videofitness.com/showth...ghlight=winsor

I might have a duplicate of one of the workouts in this series - i'll PM you.

Mari has somewhat grown on me over the years. I don't always reach for her for pilates (I prefer other instructors) but I occasionally go back to her Abs and the Buns/Thighs one (both w/ and w/o the band sets).

I remember getting her original 3-disc G-R set. then I traded it because I just didn't like how she does everything at lightning speed.

I acquired the add-ons to the original set - the Abs, the Buns/Thighs. with these, she goes slower, which suits me better.

then on craigslist, a seller sold me a huge mother lode of winsor - the original series, the band series, the circle series, etc plus the gadgets (ball, ring, band). I kept the band (it's excellent and lasted me a long time), the men's workout and the back workout, and sold everything else on ebay for a great price.

then later on, I read raves about the band series for Abs and the Buns/Thighs one, so eventually I acquired those from thrift stores. I also bought the other 2 band workouts at a library sale.

her books are pretty good - especially the pregnancy pilates book. it was one of the first of its kind back in the mid 90s. I followed all of her suggestions on incorporating pilates during pregnancy.

Sandrine 10-06-14 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eibhinn (Post 2455377)
Pat - when you know what titles you need, please let me know - either on this thread or by PM - what you need to complete your collection. For whatever reason, the last month or so my local second hand store has been absolutely awash in Winsor Pilates stuff, ranging from the very old to some fairly new stuff. No guarantees that's still the case, or it will continue, but if you let me know what you need I could swing by and pick up any you don't have. They're only $2 each, and in slim line cases that probably would be fairly cheap to ship.

+1 on this! I'm with Eibhinn--don't know why, but at one time or another, I've seen (ok, and acquired!) pretty much all of Mari's w/o's from my local Goodwill's. I love trolling for w/o's, so include me if you pm or post your "need" list!

Pat58 10-06-14 08:22 AM

Jeannine - good idea to collect the books too! And I had forgotten all about the "Endless Fitness" series.

I'm having a sort of Winsor Renaissance - even Mari's "bad" videos give me good results. I have a very cranky spine and it just loves Mari's videos - I can't explain it! Something about her is just endearing to me, as well.

After all - my original G-R set led me to find this wonderful website. :love:

Sandrine 10-06-14 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pat58 (Post 2455563)
I'm having a sort of Winsor Renaissance - even Mari's "bad" videos give me good results. I have a very cranky spine and it just loves Mari's videos - I can't explain it! Something about her is just endearing to me, as well.

I agree with this! I had a Winsor Renaissance back in the spring, and really enjoyed it! Plus, her mat workouts pair *very* nicely with the SP! :love:

Pat58 10-06-14 08:57 AM

Sandrine I'm glad to see you are still enjoying your SP! I have been using mine more, as well.

toaster 10-06-14 11:15 AM

Wow, nice reference thread! I added a few tags so that it will be easier to find in the future. :)

Pat58 10-06-14 12:12 PM

Thanks Beth! Amazing what a vidiot on a quest can assemble. ;)

AsSweetAsSugar 10-06-14 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bzar (Post 2455340)
Pat,

slimming kit DVDs:
Superfast Body Blast
Rapid Results Pilates
ABsession
Quick Start Pilates Weight Loss
Pilates of the Fit and Famous

Great list by Janine, I just wanted to add:

- Rapid Results Pilates (two wos, 20 mins. each)
  1. On the Go Pilates; &
  2. Bootcamp Express (I think this one was released as Pilates Bootcamp kit w/Weights)

- Power Pilates (52 mins.)

SLIMMING PILATES DELUXE:

- Shortcut to Slim (25 mins.)

- Maximun Fat Burning (two wos, aprox. 65 mins. total).

I think for the Malibu Pilates, it was just one workout by Mari:

- Malibu Pilates Mari's Dynamic Sequencing workout.

Pat58 10-06-14 05:55 PM

Thank you for the update Sweet as Sugar! I don't think I've heard of On the Go Pilates.

... or ... wait a minute - was that a little booklet of printed exercises that came with the original infomercial set?

AsSweetAsSugar 10-06-14 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pat58 (Post 2455788)
Thank you for the update Sweet as Sugar! I don't think I've heard of On the Go Pilates.

... or ... wait a minute - was that a little booklet of printed exercises that came with the original infomercial set?

You're welcome Pat! To answer your question, it is a 20 mins. workout, Mari does it herself she doesn't talk (no background exercisers), but there is a voice over cues (by her), she uses the elastic bands attached to the door.

bzar 10-06-14 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AsSweetAsSugar (Post 2455700)
Great list by Janine, I just wanted to add:

- Rapid Results Pilates (two wos, 20 mins. each)
  1. On the Go Pilates; &
  2. Bootcamp Express (I think this one was released as Pilates Bootcamp kit w/Weights)

- Power Pilates (52 mins.)

SLIMMING PILATES DELUXE:

- Shortcut to Slim (25 mins.)

- Maximun Fat Burning (two wos, aprox. 65 mins. total).

I think for the Malibu Pilates, it was just one workout by Mari:

- Malibu Pilates Mari's Dynamic Sequencing workout)

i never knew about the deluxe. i can't even recall whether i had those or not. thanks!

i also want to make a comment about the Slimming Kit - it has the screw-on weights reportedly like The Firm's pink kit that came with weights.

by the time Slimming came into my radar, they had sold out of the weights.:(

Pat58 10-07-14 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AsSweetAsSugar (Post 2455803)
You're welcome Pat! To answer your question, it is a 20 mins. workout, Mari does it herself she doesn't talk (no background exercisers), but there is a voice over cues (by her), she uses the elastic bands attached to the door.

I never heard of that one - thank you!

Tonight I vow to line up all my Winsors and start checking off my main list up above. :) I've been doing two to three weekly and my back has been very happy!

marya 10-07-14 01:21 PM

Nothing to add, Pat--just want to thank you for starting this thread. Has Mari been inducted into the Fitness Hall of Fame yet? If not, she certainly should be!

AsSweetAsSugar 10-07-14 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bzar (Post 2455851)
i never knew about the deluxe. i can't even recall whether i had those or not. thanks!

i also want to make a comment about the Slimming Kit - it has the screw-on weights reportedly like The Firm's pink kit that came with weights.

Bzar, you're welcome! If you've those please let us know how you like them. I don't have them, but they are listed on the Slimming Pilates site and I saw them on ebay when I was looking for the accelerator a while back.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pat58 (Post 2455952)
I never heard of that one - thank you!

Tonight I vow to line up all my Winsors and start checking off my main list up above. :) I've been doing two to three weekly and my back has been very happy!

You're welcome! I'm glad to hear her workouts have been doing good to your back. :sun:

bzar 07-24-16 01:13 PM

added dates & min to Pat's list:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pat58 (Post 2455318)
Shape Titles:
  • Pilates for Pink Core Challenge (2009, 45 min)
  • Pilates for Pink Workout with resistance band (2008, 50 min)
  • Pilates for Pink Slimdown (2010, 60 min)

resurrecting Archive thread.:)

Regarding Mari's work thru the SHAPE Magazine series- questions -
  1. does any of the content in the above 3 DVDs overlap?
  2. of the 3, do you prefer any one of them over the other? if so, why?
  3. please post any reviews for the Core and Slimdown DVDs in the VF Reviews forum!!! There's a review posted for the (i think) the resistance band one.

Pat58 07-24-16 03:41 PM

Jeannine, I have the Pilates for Pink Slimdown but not the other two. I have hemmed and hawed over previews of the other two at Mary's for long enough to be pretty sure there is no overlap. I really like the Slimdown one!

I pounced on her Pink Ribbon Pilates with the band and it is too much for me. It has a lot of wristy stuff and is the only Mari that aggravates my back.

monterey vidiot 04-28-17 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bzar (Post 2455851)

I have longed for the deluxe Winsor weights for years - never thought of using weights from the Firm's pink kit. Yay!
ETA - dang - they don't attach.

Does anyone have the intermediate and advanced rotations for the Slimming Pilates set? One old VF thread has a link to the Winsor site that no longer exists.

hourglass 04-29-17 09:07 AM

Bumping.. I'd love to have the intermediate and advanced rotations too. :)

Joan

txhsmom 04-29-17 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hourglass (Post 2708888)
Bumping.. I'd love to have the intermediate and advanced rotations too. :)

Joan

I've hunted long and hard for these rotations, but haven't been able to find them. Wish someone had them!

Carol

bzar 04-29-17 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pat58 (Post 2652391)
Jeannine, I have the Pilates for Pink Slimdown but not the other two. I have hemmed and hawed over previews of the other two at Mary's for long enough to be pretty sure there is no overlap. I really like the Slimdown one!

I pounced on her Pink Ribbon Pilates with the band and it is too much for me. It has a lot of wristy stuff and is the only Mari that aggravates my back.

how timely that this thread was revived - i was eyeing Mary's sale for these. will consider the slimdown one for sure.

Pat58 04-29-17 01:24 PM

Jeannine - IMO Slim Down is a must have. I also really like her Gaiam Flat Abs Pilates, it has a good flow for Mary. And you feel flat afterward! ;)

Softshoe 04-29-17 01:56 PM

I was wondering about the Mari Winsor Deluxe Kit at Mary's site (Total Fitness). Anyone have this, tried this?

bzar 04-29-17 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pat58 (Post 2708946)
Jeannine - IMO Slim Down is a must have. I also really like her Gaiam Flat Abs Pilates, it has a good flow for Mary. And you feel flat afterward! ;)

want flat abs for sure!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Softshoe (Post 2708952)
I was wondering about the Mari Winsor Deluxe Kit at Mary's site (Total Fitness). Anyone have this, tried this?

i saw that too - i believe Amazon also carries it.

Donna D 04-29-17 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Softshoe (Post 2708952)

This is the Silver Series:

http://forum.videofitness.com/showth...pilates+silver

http://forum.videofitness.com/showth...=winsor+silver

bzar 06-23-17 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donna D (Post 2708960)

one more Silver Series thread:
New/Upcoming Release For Mari Winsor fans - Winsor Pilates Silver Series

EDITED TO ADD:
Donna D provided reviews of the basic set. Did anyone receive and try the Deluxe Silver Series? wondering about the run times and the intensity.

monterey vidiot 07-26-17 09:06 PM

duplicates of some of Winsor Slimming Pilates

Most of these have been noted, but not all of them were mentioned in this thread.

Cardio Pilates contains 2 segments from Winsor Slimming Pilates of the Fit & Famous.
PFF's Cardio Pilates chapter is on the Cardio Pilates DVD, renamed Quick Fix
PFF's Lower Body chapter is also on the Cardio Pilates DVD, same name/lower body.

Bootcamp Express was released as a kit with 1-lb weights. Its cover art shows someone doing a floor exercise, but the entire workout is standing and a bit dancy.
Winsor Slimming Pilates Rapid Results has 2 workouts, the Bootcamp Express and On the Go.

I think this has not been previously mentioned: Gaiam's Mari Winsor: Pilates (2009) contains 2 workouts, a 55-minute in-depth classic mat workout and a 25-minute express workout. These are the same workouts as Winsor Slimming Pilates Power Pilates (55 min) and Shortcut to Slim (25 min).

TinaT 09-13-17 08:49 AM

OMGoodness! I didn't realize there were so many. I just picked up 4 titles at a local thrift store for only $2.00 each. All were new/sealed. I'm excited to try them, but now I'm wondering what I "need" from this HUGE list. ;) Question for the OP: What have your results been with Winsor? You obviously love her workouts.

I have never tried any of them until now, so I'm always looking for good results stories.

bzar 02-19-19 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monterey vidiot (Post 2724177)
Most of these have been noted, but not all of them were mentioned in this thread.

Cardio Pilates contains 2 segments from Winsor Slimming Pilates of the Fit & Famous.
PFF's Cardio Pilates chapter is on the Cardio Pilates DVD, renamed Quick Fix
PFF's Lower Body chapter is also on the Cardio Pilates DVD, same name/lower body.

Bootcamp Express was released as a kit with 1-lb weights. Its cover art shows someone doing a floor exercise, but the entire workout is standing and a bit dancy.
Winsor Slimming Pilates Rapid Results has 2 workouts, the Bootcamp Express and On the Go.

I think this has not been previously mentioned: Gaiam's Mari Winsor: Pilates (2009) contains 2 workouts, a 55-minute in-depth classic mat workout and a 25-minute express workout. These are the same workouts as Winsor Slimming Pilates Power Pilates (55 min) and Shortcut to Slim (25 min).

Cynthia, thanks so much for this information.

i see that Saul Choza has taken up the helm with Mari's legacy.

i wonder how Mari is doing these days.... i think about her when i do her workouts.:(

bzar 09-03-20 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pat58 (Post 2455318)
Individual titles from G-R:
  • The Back Workout and Flexibility & Strength Training
  • Pilates on the Ball
  • Pilates for Men

Dynamic Sculpting Ball:
  • 20 Minute Rapid Sculpting/Total Body Dynamic Sculpting
  • was there a separate disc using the mini ball?

The 2 ball DVDs - i have some questions.

1) Pilates on the Ball - is this the same as "Ball Workout" (2004) in the link below, and does it use a 55-65 cm (22-25") sized ball (the large stability balls that you could sit on)?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GWC42U8...9126258&sr=8-2

2) The "Dynamic Sculpting Ball" DVD (2007) appears to use a smaller air-filled ball - is the diameter for this around 9" (23 cm)?

3) If you have or had both, which DVD is better? There's a VF review of the first one, but none for the Dynamic Sculpting ball DVD. How many workouts are on the first DVD? The second one appears to have 2 workouts.

Thanks, Winsor aficionadi!

Pat58 09-03-20 12:41 PM

Hi Jeannine,

1 - Yes, the Pilates on the Ball (between back workout and the men's workout up there) is the Guthy-Renker one pictures in your link.

2 - I use a not overly inflated (hmm, Patriots?) Pilates mini ball for the Dynamic Sculpting. I've seen it called a barre ball or squishy ball too.

3 - I'll have to check what's on the Dynamic DVD when I get home. Good excuse to do some Winsor tonight. I'll check back in!

PS - I reacquired the G-R stability ball one and the second time didn't really care for it. I prefer the mini ball ones.

monterey vidiot 09-03-20 09:59 PM

I've had the large ball Winsor twice and it's not a keeper for me.

I got the mini ball Winsor set years ago and have kept it. It has 2 ball workouts. IIRC, the shorter one is an express version of the longer one. I have a sticky note in the case that the inner thigh work doesn't repeat for the second side but you can hit the rewind button and do your second side. The third workout doesn't use the ball, it's cardio-ish and may be the same as on another Winsor DVD. The mini ball that came originally with the DVD is slightly larger than barre balls or Bender ball, but not by much, maybe an inch or so.

Pat58 09-04-20 09:18 AM

Thanks Cynthia! I didn't get around to doing Pilates last night to check on it.

I do recall that the cardio is Accelerated Fat Burning Workout or something along those lines. It is the same goofy cardio workout that Mari put on all her systems from those days.