Video Fitness Forum

Video Fitness Forum (http://forum.videofitness.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://forum.videofitness.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Do you allow your cats in the room while exercising? (http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=213401)

Taramisu 12-04-15 10:03 PM

Do you allow your cats in the room while exercising?

Hello...

I don't post much anymore but am curious if your cat is allowed into your exercise space. I worry about them getting hurt so I was just curious.

Thanks!

mtngoat 12-04-15 10:17 PM

Taramisu - I'm so sorry about your cat. That is one of the hardest things to have to go through (hugs).

Sorry, I don't have any advice about feline herpes. I'm sure you'll get some great advice here!

As to your first question - I only let the cats into the workout room when I'm stretching.

Good luck with your adoption - I hope it works out.

Kitten 12-04-15 11:13 PM

Taramisu, so sorry about your cat:(.
I know the pain, I swore I'd never own another one. (Cue long story about feeding a cat ds found & ending up with 2 kittens).
My 2 kittens just this side of feral. I have no advice on the feline herpes situation. I've had mine under vet care since they were 8 weeks old (maybe?, they were born outside & I'm not exactly sure) and so far so good.

They are allowed everywhere in my house. They're active kitties. I don't have much of a problem except, they like to play with my hair when I'm laying on my bench.

Raineth 12-04-15 11:25 PM

Hi Tara!

First off, I'm very sorry about your cat. It's so hard to say goodbye.

My cat (featured in my profile pic :love:) was a semi-feral cat living on the streets of L.A. It took a year, but eventually she learned to trust us and is now a very spoiled house cat. Anyway, she has feline herpes. Other than one instance where she had an ulcer in her eye (quickly fixed with steroid drops), there has been no problem. My vet told me that many cats have feline herpes, but the vast majority of them never have symptoms. Some will occasionally have eye issues if they get stressed out, but other than that it's not an issue. My vet seemed to think it really wasn't a big deal. But maybe talk to your vet?

Anyway, just wanted to post saying that I've had some experience with a cat that has herpes and, for the most part, it's been no big deal. My cat is definitely worth it.:sun:

BTW, thanks for looking for kitties at rescue groups!!!

Joni O 12-04-15 11:47 PM

Sorry to hear about your cat, Tara. I volunteer at Animal Humane Society in St. Paul. We get lots of stray cats and kittens from ferals, and I've never seen a case of feline herpes no matter what the conditions the cats came from. Why does the foster parent think this is a possibility? I can email one of our vet techs about this.

We have 5 locations in the Twin Cities, and lots of sweet, adorable cats of all ages if the one you're looking at doesn't work out for some reason. Maybe you've already checked them out, but here's our website.

And yes, I do allow my cats in the room when I work out. One loves to lay under my chest while I do push-ups. I do have to chase her out at times because I'm worried about stepping on her.

https://www.animalhumanesociety.org

Taiga 12-05-15 12:03 AM

My cat has been plotting my death since she was a kitten. No way she gets in a room where I'm moving!! She will dart from corners to weave between my feet. Once, she hid beneath open porch stairs and shot out from below when I was running down. Dislocated my knee on the landing and that was a real barrel of fun :eek: We nicknamed her "Evil" after that and it easily stuck with the whole family. Somehow it really suits her :p I often look at her and wonder if she is thinking "well behaved women never make history".

Taiga 12-05-15 12:21 AM

As far as feline herpes, it does often stay dormant unless immune system weakens (stressed, poorly fed, suffer physical trauma, develop other diseases like diabetes etc). Some cats never show symptoms. One thing to keep in mind, it can be contagious to other cats even when you don't see signs or symptoms that it is active. On the bright side, it is species specific so dogs and humans can't catch it. Our kitty came from a shelter and was infected. Her eye will tear and she may sneeze a bit if she is stressed but nothing more in 12 years. We give her the good food though----she doesn't fair as well on junk but then who does?

Jane P. 12-05-15 02:24 AM

My previous cat would lie beside me when I got down on the floor. The one I have now, leaves the room of her own accord. She's very bored by the whole thing.

Bubbeez 12-05-15 02:45 AM

I work out in an open space in the basement, so I can't shut my 3 cats out. Sometimes they'll rub against me when I'm stretching or doing floor work. Thankfully they steer clear when I'm active (cardio). If they do bother me, they get shoo-ed. No big deal.

I can't give you any insight on feline herpes. Never even heard of it until this thread! :eek:

So sorry about the loss of your cat...

Taramisu 12-05-15 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joni O (Post 2587420)
Sorry to hear about your cat, Tara. I volunteer at Animal Humane Society in St. Paul. We get lots of stray cats and kittens from ferals, and I've never seen a case of feline herpes no matter what the conditions the cats came from. Why does the foster parent think this is a possibility? I can email one of our vet techs about this.

We have 5 locations in the Twin Cities, and lots of sweet, adorable cats of all ages if the one you're looking at doesn't work out for some reason. Maybe you've already checked them out, but here's our website.

And yes, I do allow my cats in the room when I work out. One loves to lay under my chest while I do push-ups. I do have to chase her out at times because I'm worried about stepping on her.

https://www.animalhumanesociety.org

Thanks to everyone who has responded, I greatly appreciate the feedback and advice that you have given me. :) :)