Video Fitness Forum

Video Fitness Forum (http://forum.videofitness.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://forum.videofitness.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Star Trac vs Spinner? help please! (http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=197613)

Jenmgo 10-29-13 08:42 AM

Star Trac vs Spinner? help please!

1 Attachment(s)
I am really wanting to purchase a spin bike and add spinning into my weekly workouts. I am looking to spin maybe once or twice a week. I need something affordable (so i have to purchase used) but also want something quality that will last a long time and is not too hard to move out of the way (since it will be sharing my workout space).

I found these two bikes locally, both around the $250 price range (and since they are local sellers the price may be negotiated). Does anyone have experience with the bikes i found? One says its a Star Trac and the other is a Spinner Fit. The Spinner Fit is in excellent like new condition and the Star Trac I am told is also in great shape but I dont know the model numbers or how old the Star Trac spinning bike is. To me, they almost look exactly the same. Are they from the same maker?

Jenmgo 10-29-13 08:45 AM

the first pic is the star trac bike. i couldn't figure out how to make the SPinner Fit gym bike photo smaller but here is the link to the bike they are selling

http://spinning.com/en/webshop/product/814/

any thoughts, input or advice would be greatly appreciated. I did research and looked up other threads re:spin bikes but I am confused :)

Jenmgo 10-29-13 09:26 AM

I also read some reviews on the Sunny Health and Fitness Pro bike. I would consider this one as well since its all in the same price range. Does anyone own this one? I am wondering if any of these three options would be a good choice. Thanks!

adrien_73 10-29-13 10:18 AM

I Can only speak to the Spinner bike since I have tried the higher-end model in a sports equipment store. It is chain-driven which I personally don't care for since it makes a bit more noise and doesn't ride as smooth. Many prefer the chain since it feels more like a road bike.

I have owned the Multisport ENC-420 and now the 650 model. These are much more expensive but to me it was well worth it to have a belt instead of a chain. These ride super smooth (for the most part) and are much more quiet. I exercise at 3:30-4:00 am so this is huge to me!

I will say that I upgraded to the 650 expecting superior performance and I have been seriously disappointed. I wish I had saved my money and stuck with the 420. I only upgraded because the 420 did start to rust after about 8 years of use. I was spinning more regularly due to some chronic knee issues and thought it would be a worthwhile investment.

Sorry to ramble but just wanted to mention the chain vs. belt issue! I'm sure you will love spinning! It has given my legs tremendous definition that I never got with years and years of step and other forms of cardio. Plus, I don't have to worry about tripping on my own 2 feet!

Good luck with your decision!

Jenmgo 10-29-13 10:34 AM

Thank you for your input! Are the three I mentioned all chain driven?

icrosstrain 10-29-13 10:50 AM

I just bought a Bladez Velopro from my local Sears. It was last years model discounted from $799 to $299 + 5% off; new in the box. It's a belt driven, 40 lb flywheel. The seat fully adjusts up/dn, forward and back. The handlebars also adjust up/dn, forward and back. I love it. Check with you local Sears or they have some on their website at the outlet store; but some descriptions say reconditioned.

Dianne

Jenmgo 10-30-13 08:04 AM

Thank you..I looked that one up as well. I don't really know what's better..belt or chain. There are so many conflicting reviews on the bikes I look up lol. I also found the sunny health and fitness bike on amazon. I believe it's chain and it got mostly good reviews. I'm just trying to decide which is right for me, but also in the budget, 200 or 300 is a lot for me, so I want to make sure I pick the right bike. Thanks for the advice so far. I really want to spin :)

Trixoo 10-30-13 09:24 AM

I have both a chain and belt driven bike. The belt driven bike is quieter and feels smoother, but that shouldn't be your deciding factor. Some of the best/most expensive bike are chain driven.

What I would do is try to get on the bike and see how it fits...if you can't get a good fit on your bike, you're much less likely to use it. I had my heart set on a Kaiser M3, until I went to a gym that had them and tried one out...it is an amazing spin bike, but for me was so uncomfortable!

Good luck!

Jenmgo 10-30-13 10:16 AM

Thank you Trixoo. I can't try out the online one i dont think, and the other two are local. I just wanted to see if anyone has owned any of the above bikes and could offer advice. Thank you for all the suggestions so far everyone. I really want to spin and hope to purchase this week or sometime in the near future. Even though I only own one spin dvd lol

beth22 10-30-13 11:55 AM

I have a chain-driven bike at home but I prefer the belt-driven bikes at my gym -- they're MUCH smoother and quieter. I really wish the bike I'd gotten didn't have a chain :( The smoothness is really important to me.