Video Fitness Forum

Video Fitness Forum (http://forum.videofitness.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://forum.videofitness.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   I miss the old days....where did everybody go? (http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=227931)

sherry7899 02-22-20 03:35 PM

I miss the old days....where did everybody go?

I don't mean this as anything against people who still post, of course!

I was looking up a topic that brought up older threads, and there were so many members who posted that have not been on here in years. It seems there used to be way more discussions that resulted in long and often funny and thought provoking threads.

It makes me wonder why so many people stopped posting here. Did they all start doing gym workouts? Give up exercising altogether? Have major life changes? Switch to all streaming workouts (though they are discussed here also).

Any thoughts? I guess I am trying to get a good discussion going :D

Gams 02-22-20 03:43 PM

I’ve wondered the same thing, too. I’ve notice other forums are slow now, too. Maybe Facebook has taken over the need to post.

Buzzer 02-22-20 04:06 PM

I used to post a lot!

I stopped posting when everything TA had to have someone swoop in like a mock superhero and warn people off of using her workouts. At the same time, some people would attack anyone with a different opinion, there were a few in particular that loved to come in and spank people who thought differently. (I got spanked a few times, and then I was just done).

I got tired of posting and then worrying it would be taken the wrong way, or that I would be chastised for using an instructor that a group decided wasn't good for me.

The threads just always seemed to turn nasty, no matter who started it and how innocent it was.

I always hope it has changed, and start thinking of putting myself out there again... then I see some instances of nastiness and I go back into hiding in my check in.

Unfortunately, the "divide everyone by race, religion, politics..." workout preferences, dance abilities, or whether the like to booty shake or not has seeped into the social consciousness so much that VF has been infected also.

I miss my friends, many of them have left VF, some of them are still on my check in! I still occasionally lurk on the GD, but I seldom post anymore and am happy to hang out with a check in crowd like the shut in I am!

Edited to add: case in point... I hit "submit" and wondered if I should have done that. Now I've spent about 5 minutes of my time worrying if I should leave the post up because I'm sure someone will take it the wrong way. So if you do... sorry in advance!!

Vintage VFer 02-22-20 04:09 PM

Some folks left after a big dust up years ago.

I didn't even belong to the "Belly Busters" Check-In, but I used to read it. That one is long gone and I miss it.

I know of some former VFers who had health issues that made them temporarily or permanently unable to work out like they used to. They felt like they didn't have much to talk about on a fitness forum.

I've been having some chronic pain issues that have caused me to post less.

(You can't get rid of me though, much to some folks dismay! :p )

sherry7899 02-22-20 04:17 PM

Alta, what big dust up? If you do not want to discuss it, I understand.

I am very sorry about your chronic pain. :love:.

Buzzer, I am glad to see you posting. There is absolutely no need to apologize.

Vintage VFer 02-22-20 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sherry7899 (Post 2860650)
Alta, what big dust up? If you do not want to discuss it, I understand.
I am very sorry about your chronic pain. :love:....

There were several train-wreck threads about the Fascia Blaster. Very strong feelings both pro and con. We lost some longtime VFers over that.

Thanks for the kind thoughts, Sherry. :heart:

sherry7899 02-22-20 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vintage VFer (Post 2860652)
There were several train-wreck threads about the Fascia Blaster. Very strong feelings both pro and con. We lost some longtime VFers over that.

Thanks for the kind thoughts, Sherry. :heart:

Oh , yes I remember that one! One of my favorite friends here left because of that one.

adawn 02-22-20 04:38 PM

There were also the Fascia Blaster threads. I think that was post-TA era but, similar to the TA threads, never ended well. (Edited to add: I was typing this while others were posting.)

Disclaimer: This post is not intended to be controversial or reopen old wounds. It's just that VF history is actually kind of interesting to me. I used to sometimes go back in time (before my time on VF) and read old threads about "she who will not be named" and that member who had multiple usernames/personalities but it turned out to be all one person. Sometimes I'd do this just so I'd be able to understand vague references to the past that were made more recently.

FWIW, both the "she who cannot be named" phenomenon and one person pretending to be multiple people with different accounts have happened on others forums I belong to so (strangely) neither appears to unique to VF or fitness forums in general.

sbh 02-22-20 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vintage VFer (Post 2860649)
I didn't even belong to the "Belly Busters" Check-In, but I used to read it. That one is long gone and I miss it.:p )

Yes, I miss the Belly Busters too. It was my check-in for a long time. My mom passed away a while ago and I disappeared temporarily. When I came back, it was gone.

yogapam 02-22-20 05:11 PM

Yes, I miss some long time members that no longer post. I vaguely remember the fascia blaster dust up as I never posted on that thread.

I’m cautious at times about posting on GD threads (as I sit here posting on one....:p), as that’s were the conflicts always seem to arise....

Alta, sorry your dealing with chronic pain.

Sherri, so sorry for your loss. :(