Video Fitness Forum

Video Fitness Forum (http://forum.videofitness.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://forum.videofitness.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   My laminate floor is too slippery! (http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=127500)

gypsyqueen 12-22-08 08:58 AM

My laminate floor is too slippery!

I am getting so frustrated with our floors. We installed some laminate in the whole house last year. It was the best choice for us because of all of our pets but ever since working out has become very difficult cause I can barely keep my footing and I feel like I am gonna hurt myself!
I am getting so ticked off that I stopped working out this morning trying to do a fast paced cardio video this morning.
Anyone know any secrets to making it less slippery? I don't have a choice, the living room is the only space we have for me to exercise in our tiny house. If I put any kind of mats on there it has to be easy to put down and pick up when I am done with it.
I was thinking maybe those foot pads that tap dancers stick on the bottom of their shoes to keep from sliding might help but I'm not sure cause I have fairly new shoes and they don't stick either! :mad:

paideiamom 12-22-08 09:20 AM

Have you tried puzzle mats with a non-slip rug underlay?
We have terrazzo tile-type linoleum throughout our upstairs (yes, I know, yuck, but who has the $$ to replace) throughout our upstairs.
We use the underlayment under large and small area rugs and they work beautifully. I would imagine they would work with the puzzle mats.

I use my puzzle mats downstairs on linoleum with a thick rug/carpet remnant over them without underlayment and they stay pretty well. I will bring some puzzle mats upstairs later and put an underlayment with them, jump around a bit and see how that works.

Renda

Fanny 12-22-08 09:46 AM

I agree, I would put puzzle mats on top.

The underlay she mentioned should keep them from sliding, otherwise put a couple heavy dumbbells on it.

Puzzle mats are easy to put down and take up. :)

Puzzle mats are slippery at first, it wears off. Not sure if you can wash it off.

F1mom 12-22-08 09:54 AM

Another vote for the puzzle mats. Buy the non-skid mat to put under them, though. I've had puzzle mats slip on my hardwoods, and until I bought the mat, I'd put heavy weights to anchor it.

susan p 12-22-08 10:04 AM

I'm surprised that workout shoes would be slippery on any kind of floor!

Have you tried running shoes? They typically have a "grabbier" sole than your typical cross-training or aerobics shoe.

mbcatac7 12-22-08 10:10 AM

I have the same issue here. So hard to do Yoga etc. without slipping.
I have tried the puzzle mats, but they come apart. I have completely fallen a few times on the mats.
So it was not a good solution at all. The best thing I have found is to use a regular mat, and make sure both feet are on at the same time.
Billie

dmhammy 12-22-08 10:18 AM

I use a yoga mat. You do need to wash a new mat to get the oils off it or it will be slippery; at least when doing yoga. I guess it depends on how large a space you need to cover. I have a few old mats that I use for this purpose.

Dawn

gypsyqueen 12-22-08 11:35 AM

Well I was thinking maybe something like those non-slip rug underlays only spread out across the floor might do the trick without needing the puzzle mats?

The shoes are not the issue, I had another pair and they didn't stick either, so I bought new ones and it's the same :( I've read that you aren't supposed to wear running shoes for anything other than running so I've never considered buying them since I don't run (kills my hips for some reason).

I wish there was just something you could spray on them or your shoes to make them more sticky!

upperwside 12-22-08 02:54 PM

I am not a puzzle mat fan at all, they slip apart and my foot has gotten caught in the cracks. Fine for weights but not cardio...unless you only jog in place, heee. Try buying a large piece of outdoor carpet from Home Depot. It will not slip and you can roll it up when you are not working out. I had to do this in the past as we had really nice carpet in my gym and i did not want to wreck it with my work out shoes stomping all over the place.

Fanny 12-22-08 03:01 PM

Will the outdoor carpet stick to the floor as well as other carpet? That would be nice if it works. Probably not as grippy for turning moves, pivots etc.