Video Fitness Forum

Video Fitness Forum (http://forum.videofitness.com/index.php)
-   Challenges and Check-ins (http://forum.videofitness.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Total Max Mixers - May (http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=232724)

JBliff 05-01-22 07:26 AM

Total Max Mixers - May

Hi all. Starting a new thread for May. I almost posted in the old one.

My workout Friday was a walk in town + Boss Bands Total Body. Saturday we met up with some friends about an hour away and we spent 3 hours walking around an outdoor art show which was wonderful. The weather was in the upper 60s and sunny. There were thousands of people there and I counted maybe 4 people wearing masks, excluding our group of 6.

Karjoy - That's great you had a good time at Biltmore. Maybe next time you can stay longer do some some extra hikes. When we went last month we did Devil's Courthouse and Graveyard Fields trails. In previous visits we did the waterfall hikes at Dupont Forest. I don't think the hike had a name. We just went to every waterfall they had there. If memory serves, it might have been 7-8 miles?

Vannie
- Sorry you are feeling unmotivated. When I get to that state, I usually try to tell myself to just do 15 minutes and before I know it, I'm doing a whole workout.

Waves to all. Have a good day.

Vantreesta 05-01-22 08:12 AM

Thanks for the encouragement, ladies. Murph training starts today, it's a new month, yesterday morning I found motivation to do a few hours of various house chores and then I got back to my workout organization project--I'm hoping all these things will help my mood!

karjoy 05-01-22 02:57 PM

Vannie maybe a new month will help you get where you want to be. Sometimes I have found that helpful. We’re such creatures of habit and doldrums it seems! It happens to everyone I am sure.

Jbliff we had perfect weather in Asheville. Just like you said, 60s during the day and we had the high 40s to low 50s at night. So glad you had a nice outdoor visit with your friends. As much as we liked Asheville, there was hardly a mask in sight. Thank goodness we were mostly outdoors and well spaced. There was tons of outdoor dining too.

Resting today after running and doing total body at Burn.

JBliff 05-02-22 02:14 PM

My workout yesterday was 46 minutes of yoga + a walk in town.

Karjoy - Glad you had good weather in Asheville. Downtown definitely has a number of outdoor dining places and some good restaurants.

Vannie - I hope you are feeling better about things.

We are in a little bit of a heat wave. It's going to be in the 80s for a few days.

JBliff 05-03-22 06:09 AM

My workout yesterday was a long walk + Xtrain Back, Chest &Shoulders.

Have a good day, everyone.

Vantreesta 05-03-22 08:36 AM

Finally got out there and did it yesterday! I made myself just start, and yoga is a good place for me to do that. My calf plyo warmup seemed to flip the "let's do this thing!" switch and I had a really good run. It was about 44 degrees so perfect for me.

Mon 5/2 137 minutes
5 minutes (from Yoga With Bird -5 Min Morning Yoga Full Body Stretch (DAY 1) 7 Day Morning Yoga Challenge, YT) 1st time
15 minutes (from Yoga With Bird -15 Min Morning Yoga Stretch (DAY 2) 7 Day Morning Yoga Challenge, YT) 1st time
13 minutes (from J Miller YTU QuickfixRx KneeHab -KneeHab 1)
5 minutes (from H. Estrada Aztec Athletics -5-Minute Calf Plyometric Workout for Runners, YT)
32 minutes (from 2.57 mi run for 10k trainer wk4 day3)
21 minutes (from CVG Murph Training day 1 The Prequel Stretch, YT) 1st time
46 minutes (from 3 dog walks 3.08 mi)

karjoy 05-03-22 07:52 PM

Hi guys. I fell asleep when I was getting ready to post last night!:p Sorry.

I went to Burn for total body strength today and ran 20 min on the treadmill. That’s about all I can do after total body workouts.

Vannie good for you getting back on the exercise bandwagon with enthusiasm! I’m glad things clicked and that you had a good run. When is your 10K?

Jbliff we are supposed to hit the low 90s starting tomorrow. It’s already very humid. My DH played golf today and said it was pretty miserable. We desperately need rain too. I’ll be hibernating in the house soon. I’m glad you can still get some outdoor walks in.

JBliff 05-04-22 07:34 AM

My workout yesterday was a walk in town + Les Mills Body Combat + 20 minutes of yoga.

Karjoy - We had decent weather yesterday. It was in the upper 60s but we will be back to the 80s today. I don't think I could live in Florida anymore. It's just too hot.

Vannie - Glad you got your exercise mojo back!

Have a great day, everyone.

karjoy 05-04-22 08:25 PM

Resting today. I ran 20 I’m on the treadmill after Burn yesterday and I think I am just extra tired and it has been a stressful week but it’s almost over. Yay!

Jbliff I have a patient who is a physical therapy student and she said boxing my moves are excellent for folks with Parkinson’s. It’s 4 limbed if you add the legs, and it helps with balance. Also, since you cross the midline when you punch it’s good for the brain, stimulating both hemispheres. She and her husband own a boxing gym too.

Gosh it’s hot and humid here already. Somewhat bearable before noon but after that it is miserable.

Waves to Vannie, Cher and Gibbee.

JBliff 05-05-22 07:43 AM

Hi all. My workout yesterday was a long walk with DH + Xtrain Biceps & Triceps sets 1-7 premix.

Karjoy - Interesting tidbit about boxing/kickboxing and the brain. It definitely works your whole body. Good thing I love it. I could do it every day.

We were going to go stay with some friends in northern VA over the weekend but it's going to rain all weekend so we bailed and are just going to stay home.

karjoy 05-05-22 08:35 PM

Jbliff I really like kickboxing too! Today I did about an hour on the mill watching Call the Midwife. There’s a new Netflix movie or documentary about Three Mile Island I will check out.

My friend Chris has talked me into doing a triathlon on July 4th. So I will be adding in a little swimming and cycling. This is a sprint, the shortest distance. Luckily I have pool access.

Have a great Friday all! We

JBliff 05-06-22 07:47 AM

Hi all. My workout yesterday was 40 minutes on the elliptical.

Karjoy
- I've been watching an interesting documentary on Starz about the Watergate break-in with Julia Roberts playing the role of Martha Mitchell. It's pretty good so far. Wow, a triathlon. That's impressive! Have fun training.

We are in for rain for the next three days but I'm not complaining. I just saw that California is suffering a serious drought.

Vantreesta 05-06-22 09:52 AM

Popping in to say hey. After the great day on Monday all I've done for workouts was PT and I think some gentle yoga. Tuesday my mood was foul and that was that. But Wednesday I organized/straightened the closet in the bathroom where all my pajamas and workout clothes are. Yesterday I worked on taking Christmas lights out of the arborvitae which we put up at least a decade ago when the trees were small and were too lazy to take down even after we stopped turning them on. The cords got chewed through and were no longer safe to use. I got as far as I could without a ladder and figured I should wait till hubby is home for that. Weather has been nicer this week but not ready for upper 70s and low 80s next week.

I think someone asked when my 5k is. It's May 20. I won't be trying for a certain time bc I talked my friend into doing it with me so it will be jog/walk with likely a lot more walk than jog and lots of great conversation!

karjoy 05-06-22 07:34 PM

I finally got my running friends to agree to a reasonable start time in the morning, 6:15 am, so I will run with them for 6 miles. Today I have just done some stretching which felt great. We have had on/off thunderstorms all day but we need the rain.

Vannie my running friends often do run/walk intervals with races, especially trail races. It’s got to be fun! We do longer runs with intervals too. I am wondering, are you maybe too hard on yourself? Just asking as a fellow VFer who also sometimes gets overwhelmed. :p

Jbliff I had heard about the Martha Mitchell movie. A few months ago I listened to a Slate podcast about Martha Mitchell. Your movie sounds even better. Fascinating! The series was called Slow Burn. Sounds like a good rainy weekend for viewing and listening.

What streaming services do you all have? Thanks.

Vantreesta 05-06-22 07:46 PM

Karen, I chuckled at your idea of a reasonable start time being 6:15 AM! :p I get it though, you definitely have to beat the heat. Monday I really should pull weeds so I'm trying to decide if I'll be doing that or running in the afternoon when it's 80 degrees. :eek:

Fair question and yes, I am generally too hard on myself. My personality type has always leaned toward obsessive overachieving perfectionist. Ay yi yi. I am kinder to myself than I used to be but I still have a ways to go. I think the stuff that's been making me so crabby lately will be much better going forward after a friend helped me adjust my attitude.

JBliff 05-07-22 12:42 PM

My workout yesterday was Xtrain Legs standing, ball & chair premix and I also added on the rear delts work. I've never tried any the add-ons in Xtrain before and it was a good one.

Karjoy - I read up on Martha Mitchell and the people involved in the Watergate break-in really did a number on her. I felt so sad for her. The show I'm watching is called "Gaslit" and it was appropriately named. I don't use any streaming service at all, just cable, but my plan has a ton of movie channels.

Vannie - Organizing and cleaning up can count as workouts ;)

karjoy 05-07-22 09:48 PM

Jbliff, that’s the impression I got from that Slate podcast: that they gaslighted Martha, made fun of her, said she was drunk etc. Disgusting. She was an interesting character for sure. You know, I never did an Xtrain add on either. Hmmm…

Vannie unfortunately 6:15 is late for this group! But I met them about that time this morning and it was a beautiful morning and a lovely run. 6 miles for me. They started a bit earlier, yawn, and got in 2 more miles. I’m glad you are being easier on yourself!

I did some weeding because it did not get too warm till very late afternoon. Gorgeous day!

JBliff 05-08-22 05:10 PM

Yesterday I found this channel on Youtube that has a bunch of videos of instructors doing Body Combat, Yoga and Body Pump so I did 55 minutes of Body Combat + 25 minutes of yoga. It was a lot of fun and I just loved the music.

Karjoy
- You are such an inspiration with your runs and your gym workouts.

Vannie - I hope you are doing well.

Waves to Gibbee and Cher. Have a good day, everyone.

karjoy 05-08-22 09:02 PM

Drive by: 45 min run and this am did a 15 min pool swim. It wasn’t pretty and I was very slow but my body knew what to in the water. Night all.

JBliff 05-09-22 12:51 PM

My workout yesterday was 57 minutes of Body Pump from the Youtube channel I found Saturday.

We are having spectacular weather right now--60s and sunny.

karjoy 05-09-22 09:08 PM

Last minute checkin: Burn for biceps, triceps, and core. Great workout. Glad there was no cardio tonight!

JBliff 05-10-22 04:59 AM

My workout yesterday was a walk in town + Body Combat from Youtube + 25 minutes of yoga.

Waves!

Vantreesta 05-10-22 11:51 AM

Yesterday I did wk5 day1 of the 10k trainer. I stupidly waited till after 4 PM when the real feel was 88 and the wind was still 25 mph. It was rough but I finished. Also did some yoga afterwards and later PT.

Saturday we spent about 4 hours at the Nebraska Ren Fest. It was a great day and the weather was pretty much perfect. We had planned to go to the Des Moines one Sunday but the predicted rain made us just come on home.

karjoy 05-10-22 07:40 PM

I was tired of running for cardio so tonight I went to Burn for a Speed and Agility class. Lots of fun. We even did some jump roping in one of the rounds.

Vannie what is the Nebraska ren fest? Good job on your run in the heat today.

Jbliff you have been walking a lot lately. Hope you continue to have good weather for walks.

JBliff 05-11-22 08:21 AM

My workout yesterday was a 60-minute walk with DH + Fit Split Push Day weights portion only.

Karjoy - The weather has been wonderful lately so DH and I are doing as much outside as possible.

Vannie - Good job on the training. Glad you were able to go to the renaissance fair.
I know you love those.

karjoy 05-12-22 08:29 PM

Tonight I did an hour on the treadmill which did not seem too bad after no running for 3 days. Last night I went to Burn for legs. Here is a really cool exercise with a minimum of equipment: take a heavy or at least medium tension Firewalker band. Stand up and put one end of the loop under the ball of one foot. The other foot should be just behind and to the side of the looped foot and that knee should be bent. Use the opposite hand to the looped foot and pull up on the firewalker band with that hand. Come to full standing to get max work on the glute. If you use a heavy band it will be hard to stand up fully. The instructor said the primary job of the glute is full hip extension.

We are starting to see Covid cases really increase in our area and looks like it is nationwide. I had 3 telemedicine appointments with Covid + patients today. Ya’ll be careful and think about routine mask wearing again. Sigh…

Have a great Friday all.

JBliff 05-13-22 12:12 PM

My workout yesterday was 40 minutes on the elliptical and about 10 minutes of stretching on my own.

Karjoy - Cathe does a similar move with doubled up tubing but she has you do rows with it. Sounds like you can easily change it to work glutes.

I routinely wear masks whenever I go indoor. I did see that cases have increased a lot in Florida in April, mostly in the southern part of the state. There are so many subvariants out there now. I don't know when we'll ever really be free of this virus.

Waves to everyone. Have a good day.

karjoy 05-13-22 08:25 PM

I did 30 minutes on the treadmill tonight. Add a few hillier sections which I need to work on.

Jbliff I wear my mask everywhere indoors too. It is just habit at this point. One time I did forget my mask for a Target errand. It was during the week and Target was pretty empty. I grabbed my two items quickly, used the self checkout and was out the door. We can tell we are getting more cases locally because patients are calling us saying they are + and wanting to discuss treatment. I’m like you- I don’t see a soon end to this.

Vannie has your week been going?

Waves to all.

Vantreesta 05-13-22 09:48 PM

Tue 5/10 69 minutes
7 minutes (from L. Holden 30-Day Qi Gong challenge day 5)
5 minutes (from Yoga With Bird - 5 Min Beginner Friendly Morning Yoga to Start Your Day! (DAY 5) 7 Day Morning Yoga Challenge, YT) 1st time
11 minutes (from Barre Fitness 31 Day Challenge day 5 Legs at the Barre, YT) 1st time
8 minutes (from CVG Murph: Train Like a Hero day 3 core challenge 8 min AMRAP)
00 minutes (from CVG Murph: Train Like a Hero day 4 mobility challenge "Look Ma no hands!" AKA The Broomstick Challenge) SUCCESS!
2 minutes (from CVG Murph: Train Like a Hero day 6 -40 pike pushups FT -done in 2:28:14)
7 minutes (from PT stretches)
29 minutes (from 2 dog walks 1.95 mi)

Wed 5/11 20 minutes
20 minutes (from 2 dog walks 1.32 mi) stormy out and not feeling great, too hot for afternoon walk

Thu 5/12 84 minutes
39 minutes (from 2.35 mi walk home with Cyric from auto shop)
31 minutes (from 2.39 mi run for 10k trainer wk5 day2) still 93 degrees and 96 real feel at 6 PM!
14 minutes (from 1 dog walks 1.06 mi) too miserably hot for an afternoon walk again

Fri 5/13 0 minutes FRIDAY THE 13TH!!
8 minutes (from L. Holden 30-Day Qi Gong challenge days 6)
9 minutes (from Yoga With Bird -10 Min Morning Yoga DAY 6 7 Day Morning Yoga Challenge, YT) 1st time
18 minutes (from PT strength exercises)
12 minutes (from B. Bowman GuerrillaZen Fitness 10-min Knee Stability Routine for Bulletproof Knees, YT)
13 minutes (from Barre Fitness 31 Day Challenge day 6 Core Workout, YT) 1st time
18 minutes (from Yoga Treat 21-Day Yin Yoga Pose Challenge day 5-butterfly pose + day 6-half dragonfly, YT) 1st time
0 minutes (from foam roll/ball massage + PT stretches)
42 minutes (from 3 dog walks 2.76 mi)

JBliff 05-14-22 06:35 AM

Drive by checkin: My workout yesterday was a walk + Fit Split Pull Day weights only + 15 minutes of yoga.

Have a great weekend, everyone.

karjoy 05-14-22 01:19 PM

Checking in a bit earlier than normal as I am going with a friend down to the coast (about an hour from here) to a watercolor exhibit. Just got off the treadmill a little while ago. 60 minutes worth. Watched a new Netflix documentary and I want to share some thoughts with ya’ll tonight or tomorrow to see what you think. It’s hot and humid today. DH looked very worn after his golf round.

Vannie I will catch up on your post this evening.

JBliff 05-15-22 07:06 AM

My workout yesterday was 60 minutes of Body Combat from Youtube.

Karjoy - It's getting humid down here too, even if the temperature is still relatively cool and rainy. How fun to go see a watercolor exhibit. I love art shows.

Waves to everyone. Have a great Sunday.

Gibbee 05-15-22 11:50 AM

Hi, all! I am still alive!
I haven't read any posts anywhere. I just logged in for a minute before heading out to my FIL's house to determine our next steps. It has languished while I was away for a business trip. Plus DD had a kidney stone while I was traveling and is still having issues. Thankfully she sees the primary tomorrow.

I miss you guys! Workouts are more miss than hit. I am dating a guy from my grief group (I think I mentioned that a while back) and it is going really well. Our grief group (the 'veterans' as they call us) is still meeting every other week. We finished the formal meetings on Tuesday for round 2. I am grateful to have Tuesday nights free again.

I promise I will stop and read posts sometime this week. I am shutting my PC down in anticipation of another rain storm during the next hour.

Take care all!!!!

karjoy 05-15-22 07:25 PM

Gibbee so very good to hear from you!! Sounds like you are very busy. Hope your
daughter is getting better from the kidney stone. That can be so painful. I am happy that you are still dating the nice guy from your grief group. Find happiness where you can!

Today I did a 20 minute bike ride and 30 min on the treadmill. Feeling my way back to getting comfortable on the bike again.

Vannie 93 degrees in your area must be practically unheard of at this time of year. That’s awful. Please be careful and hydrate. Sounds like you had great indoor workouts too.

Jbliff the drive to the coast for the art show was wonderful and the art exhibit itself was lovely, but it was held in a very small renovated old house. Ann and I were the only people masked and it was crowded. Needless to say we did not stay long. They did have one door open for ventilation but no AC. Can you believe it?

Night all Waves to Cher.

JBliff 05-16-22 07:17 AM

My workout yesterday was 54 minutes of yoga.

Gibbee
- So great to hear from you. We missed you around here. Glad to hear you are doing well and still seeing the guy from your grief group. Please check back when you can.

Karjoy - DH and I went to Costco yesterday to pick up some snacks in preparation for watching the NBA playoffs, and the store was packed. I only saw one other person wearing a mask. DH was talking about maybe going to Florida for his niece's HS graduation. I told him he had better not come home with COVID!

Hi to Cher and Vannie. Have a great day.

karjoy 05-17-22 05:58 AM

Forgot to check in last night. Did a 20ish minute swim. Not pretty. Tiring. But every session counts I guess. I was thinking about how tiring swimming is and then saw a post first thing this am that swimming uses all your muscles. Whew!

Jbliff 54 minutes of Yoga. You’re awesome!

JBliff 05-17-22 06:34 AM

My workout yesterday was Les Mills Body Pump Nano from Youtube which was pretty fun. I also did 25 minutes on the elliptical.

Karjoy - When is the triathlon? Your training sure will be well rounded.

Well, our cool weather is over. We've been having temps in the 80s which will persist most of the week, with a couple of days in the upper 90s.

Hi to everyone. Have a great day.

karjoy 05-17-22 08:33 PM

Jbliff the Tri is July 4th at a beautiful freshwater spring about an hour from here. It is always a lot of fun with the holiday spirit and it is called Freedom Springs. I have done it 2 times in the past. Great job with Les Mills Body pump nano. Sounds like fun.

Ran 48 minutes on the mill today. A terrible thing happened at our office. The medical assistant who works with me has been there about 5 years. Her longtime boyfriend was killed on his motorcycle 3 days ago. So damn sad.

Waves to all.

JBliff 05-18-22 08:00 AM

Hi all. My workout yesterday was 60 minutes of cardio. I started with Body Training, a Youtube workout I found that is similar to Body Combat. The instructor only spoke Spanish which was OK since the moves were pretty simple. What was annoying was he didn't work both sides equally so I gave up after about half an hour and did the official Les Mills Body Combat workout #13 which was a pleasure to do, with great form and great cueing.

Karjoy - I used to love to go to the freshwater springs in Florida, especially when it's super hot out. It is so refreshing. I'm so sorry to hear about your medical assistant's boyfriend. That is so sad.

Waves to everyone.

Vantreesta 05-18-22 09:09 AM

Hey, guys. I don't know why I can't seem to post regularly, even just my workouts!

Karen, I'm sorry to hear about your coworker's boyfriend. My friend and my cousin both lost their husbands that way too. I am glad my hubby has his Harley and I always think that I hope I never have to regret being happy he has it. You asked about the heat the other day. Generally every May has a week of super high temps near or even up to 100. It's kind of weird bc then it settles back into more normal 60s and 70s for the rest of the month. Saturday is supposed to only be in the 50s. I have soup on the menu for that seems like a good day to have it. :) I'm a little jealous of your tri training. I enjoyed training for my virtual one last year and should do that again.

JB, argh, I hate when a workout doesn't work both sides evenly! I have this PunchLab app that I have a done a few times and enjoy but they only work one side! So I alternate leads on each combo but it still doesn't equal out since they combos are different.

Gibbee, so good to hear from you! I'm glad you're still seeing the man from your support group. I'm sure it helps when the other person can relate to your experiences, even if they are different. I hope your daughter feels back to normal soon.

Cheryl, I miss you! I hope your sister is doing better.

I was trying to train to do Murph the day after Memorial Day again but it just isn't working right now so I decided to postpone a bit and aim to do it for the 4th of July. Friday is my first race since 2019 but my friend agreed to do it with me so we will be mostly walking since I'm not sure she has been running at all. I'm just happy to have an organized event again and spend time with my friend!