Video Fitness Forum

Video Fitness Forum (http://forum.videofitness.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://forum.videofitness.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Body Beast vs CLX (http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=200688)

twinkletoes 02-19-14 04:02 PM

Body Beast vs CLX

Has anyone tried both of these? If so, which one did you like better? I traded away CLX because I don't like the super slow lifting. And I never did the Lean Phase. But I liked lifting the heavier weights.

Just wondering how Body Beast compares to it. :D

Pam61 02-19-14 04:10 PM

I've done both of these and I think it just depends on what you're looking for. These programs are very different.

Body Beast is very good, and the guys are pumped up (especially Sagi.) It is truly heavy lifting, gym-style. Sometimes it can move a little quickly, though.

ChaLEAN uses a lot of compound exercises and she mixes body weight stuff in there, too. I think you get more of a cardio effect with her workouts.

I like each of these programs depending on my mood. CLX is great because they're short workouts.

Body Beast is a little more progressional, increasing your weight each time you repeat the same disc.

I can't decide, but I can't wait for Sagi to make a Body Beast 2 with women lifting as heavy as the guys! ;)

Pam

twinkletoes 02-19-14 04:52 PM

Did you get any results with Body Beast?

Pam61 02-19-14 05:50 PM

It's been a while since I've done heavy lifting, but I definitely increased my weights with each round (and that was a goal of mine!) I got some good use out of my Power Blocks and Curl bar.

Results, physically were hard to tell on me. I'm sure I increased muscle mass, but difficult to see definition behind my layers of fat! :p

That's when diet plays a huge role. And, I'm sure I was eating all the wrong (unhealthy) foods, at that time. Though, Body Beast comes with an excellent nutrition and recipe guide! I probably didn't even look at it. :eek:

I've switched gears and am focusing more about my nutrition and what goes into my body by eating cleaner and doing the latest Beachbody 21 Day Fix program (which is all about portion control!) I plan to use this method of eating with all of my Beachbody programs and I know I wll see visible results!

I'm glad to have Body Beast for when I decide to go back to heavy lifting. Sagi is very motivating and a lot of fun to workout with!

Pam

Eilene 02-19-14 07:18 PM

I'm almost done 2 rounds of Body Beast & I love it! I have gotten so much stronger & have built more muscle. But I am a hard gainer. I had no weight to lose...but I want to get more muscle. I only did a little of CLX...so I can't really compare. I love lifting heavy though.
I also can't wait till BB2 comes out!!!! I have been incorporating some Cathe's STS Meso 2 & Musclehack's THT program with it in the last 2 weeks as they all use heavier weights.

angie_nrs 02-19-14 09:21 PM

I've done both of these programs and P90X also. I liked the fact that BB was shorter in time. Sagi did kinda annoy me at times, but not so much so that I wouldn't do the workouts. Then again, it probably wasn't as bad as Chalene shouting 'go heavy or go home' all the time. It's really all dependent upon the person. Tony doesn't bother me at all, in fact, I kinda like the guy. But, I know some people just can't tolerate him.

It's been a while since I did CLX, and it was enjoyable, but I didn't really notice much difference in my body when I was done. I also haven't reached for those workouts since and it has been several years since I completed the program. I didn't have a dread factor with them, so I'm not sure why I don't do those workouts anymore.......might have something to do with that fact that I have hundreds of workouts to choose from?:p Actually I should try a blend of CLX & BB.

I just did body beast not too long ago. I liked it and gained some muscle, but didn't really lean out. I also didn't really eat well either so that would explain that. However, I got really 'tight' with BB. I would highly recommend you add some stretching workouts or Yoga to this rotation. I didn't add in anything other than the called for workouts, except maybe to switch out the cardio disc for something fresh. Sagi doesn't do much stretching before or after the workouts so perhaps adding some good stretch time at the end would have helped me. I also lost a lot of cardio stamina after completing this rotation and really had a tough time getting that back. Aside from adding in extra cardio, I don't really know how to compensate for that.

Truly though, nothing has worked as well for me as P90X. Clearly Beachbody has had a difficult time trying to clone that program as they have tried many times and failed. I don't know what magic it has, but it certainly did for me. However, I do remember that I loaded up on protein on a pretty regular basis with it and I'm sure that helped my transformation a lot! I just wish P90X workouts were a bit shorter.

raeven 02-19-14 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by angie_nrs (Post 2364280)
Truly though, nothing has worked as well for me as P90X. Clearly Beachbody has had a difficult time trying to clone that program as they have tried many times and failed. I don't know what magic it has, but it certainly did for me. However, I do remember that I loaded up on protein on a pretty regular basis with it and I'm sure that helped my transformation a lot! I just wish P90X workouts were a bit shorter.

Have you checked out p90x3 yet? All the workouts are 30 minutes..and such a wide variety of work while still being killer on the arms and legs..and core. Hubby and I are loving it!

horusosiris 02-20-14 12:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by angie_nrs (Post 2364280)

The Body Beast contains some of my favorite weight lifting workouts. The leg routines in both Build and Bulk phases were great for my leg definition. I have CLX but only use the workouts very occasionally. I pull CLX out only when I want to do more compound weight work. I got really good results with P90X too but I really love P90X3 too. I love the shorter workouts of P90X3 (30 minutes) and the variety.

Sarah-lara 02-20-14 04:27 AM

I prefer the Beast and its controlled, straight-forward heavy lifting to every system mentioned here. :D CLX was nice because it's short, but there were more injuries reported here on VF. If I had to rank them, I'd put Beast on top, CLX second (but take care of that back, people), and P90X last because I found it too relentlessly demanding every day, something that makes me lose focus and form and become more prone to injuries or just prone to skipping workouts and stopping altogether. I'm a seven time P90X dropout!

I like all three instructors. Some people find Chalene, Tony, or Sagi annoying for different reasons but I was charmed by all of them.

Pam61 02-20-14 09:38 AM

And, if I had to rank them by which program I enjoyed the most I'd put Body Beast at the top, CLX second, and P90X third. I also had trouble completing an entire rotation of P90X, but with Body Beast I had no problem, even though both systems are closer to an hour in length. I ended up doing halfsies of P90X by the end, but was most commited my Body Beast rotation. If felt very empowering to lift heavy. And, maybe I like kettlebells for the same reason.

Pam