Video Fitness Forum

Video Fitness Forum (http://forum.videofitness.com/index.php)
-   Recipe Box (http://forum.videofitness.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Slow Cooker Shredded Chicken Nachos (http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=227278)

Pat58 11-21-19 09:46 AM

Slow Cooker Shredded Chicken Nachos

This recipe is from the WW app. It was so easy and delicious, it will be a staple in my kitchen. Confession - I didn't make the entire recipe, just to the point of shredding the chicken and adding the beans. The full recipe will be on our Super Bowl menu.

For the shredded chicken:
1 TBS ground cumin
1-1/2 tsp ground ancho chile powder
1 tsp. ground oregano
1/2 tsp. salt
1-3/4 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast
1 large red bell pepper cut into 1" chunks
1 14-1/2 oz. can diced tomatoes - with jalapenos or mild chiles
1 15 oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
chopped cilantro as desired, if you like it ;)

For remainder of recipe:
6 medium corn tortillas
1-1/2 cups reduced fat shredded Mexican blend cheese
Garnishes: pickled jalapenos, light sour cream, lime wedges, additional cilantro, cover and cook for 20 minutes longer.

Blend the spices and rub onto the chicken. Place chicken in an even layer in the slow cooker. (I used my Instant Pot slow cooker function, so I added a little chicken broth to the bottom before adding the chicken.)

Top chicken with the peppers and tomatoes. I also added some chopped onion. Cook three hours on high. Shred the chicken with two forks and stir in the black beans and cilantro.

To make the nachos, coat the tortillas with cooking spray, stack them and cut into six wedges. Place them in an even layer on a baking sheet and bake at 425 F. until lightly browned, turning halfway, approx. 12 minutes.

Move the chips so they're close together, spoon chicken over with a slotted spoon, sprinkle with the cheese and broil for about one minute. Serve with the garnishes.

bee 11-21-19 11:13 AM

This seems like a versatile chicken recipe -- could be made into a bowl, a burrito, a taco, etc...... Thanks!!

Pat58 11-21-19 11:47 AM

I plan to use some of it in a TexMex inspired soup.

yogapam 11-21-19 11:50 AM

Thanks Pat, it sounds delish! :yummy:

sherry7899 11-21-19 04:42 PM

Thank you, Pat! I definitely will try this recipe.

fanofladyvols 11-21-19 05:32 PM

Yuuuhhhuumm...thanks Pat!!

sherry7899 11-22-19 04:37 PM

You can also shred chicken using a Kitchen Aid stand mixer with the paddle attachment.

bee 11-22-19 04:54 PM

I made the chicken last night for dinner and just ate some of the leftovers for lunch. Delish! I thought I had ancho chile powder but couldn't find it so I subbed in chipotle chile powder.

Pat58 11-23-19 08:54 AM

Glad you liked it Bee. I didn't have ancho either and just used regular old chili powder.

I froze a little for tortilla soup and mixed the remainder of our batch with brown rice and we had it in lettuce cups. :yummy:

bee 11-23-19 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pat58 (Post 2848401)
Glad you liked it Bee. I didn't have ancho either and just used regular old chili powder.

I froze a little for tortilla soup and mixed the remainder of our batch with brown rice and we had it in lettuce cups. :yummy:

Tortilla soup -- yum! I used some in a burrito for my husband and for my lower carb self I mixed with cauliflower rice and black beans. I added some of the sauce from the pot to the cauliflower rice -- that made it yummy so I ended up keeping the sauce for that purpose.