Video Fitness Forum

Video Fitness Forum (http://forum.videofitness.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://forum.videofitness.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Off-Topic Pre-Diabetes (http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=226336)

Rhonda 07-15-19 12:21 PM

Pre-Diabetes

Can we talk about this? I don't want to if it isn't allowed.

I was diagnosed with pre-diabetes and actually quite surprised as it doesn't run in the family, one uncle has diabetes but that is all that I know of.

I exercise, pretty healthy eater, yes I could lose 10-15 pounds but not overly overweight.

Just not sure where to start. Any suggestions?

Thanks, if you need to PM me, please do so, I don't want to start talking about things that are not allowed.

Thanks!

DCW 07-15-19 01:50 PM

Did your doctor recommend you see a certified diabetic educator aka CDE?. They can be a registered dietician or a nurse.

You can turn it around.:)

KarenH 07-15-19 02:10 PM

Every year my blood glucose would slowly increase. Last year was at 99 but found out about intermittent fasting from watching Dr. Jason Fung on you tube. My eating window is 6 hours and fasting the other 18 hours. No hunger, no cravings, unlimited energy as I've become a fat burner ( and losing a lot of stored fat while saving my muscle) and doing this for 3 months and my fasting blood glucose is now at 80! Of course I do have some cheat days but still maintain the new level. There are different intermittent methods and need to find one that works. For me that means eating lunch and dinner all within 6 hours which means no other calories during the fasting. This is a lifestyle change but now that my body has reset, it allows for some cheat days and still maintain my progress. Full blown diabetics are now off of meds because of this. Dr. Jason Fung gives best info on how it affects the body. My doctor has encouraged me to continue. He also said I no longer have a fatty liver which is common in diabetics and pre-diabetics.

JackieB 07-15-19 02:25 PM

I sent you a pm. You can turn it around.

kat999 07-15-19 04:13 PM

I was blindsided this year by a diagnosis of hypertensive disorder, even though I am pretty darn fit, don't smoke, and am not elderly. For me, it was hereditary (even though I didn't realize it until I had long talks with my folks) and it had been creeping up for a while. Pre-diabetes is not dissimilar, where for some it's got a definite link to something else but for others it just comes up out of the blue. I do think you can turn it around, so don't panic, and unless you feel terrible, don't let it stall your fitness or other positive lifestyle behaviors.

Lannette 07-15-19 04:41 PM

You can definitely turn it around. When I was 30-31 I was told I had mild diabetes. (There was no “pre” back then.) I changed my lifestyle and voila! No diabetes. (That was considered impossible back then.)

Now my fasting blood sugar runs between 68-72. Still no diabetes despite an extremely strong family history. ETA: I’m now 64.

I used to run a hospital based Diabetes Education program. There are several approaches you can take and new info coming in all the time. Feel free to contact me if you have questions.

Leonana 07-15-19 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kat999 (Post 2830696)
I was blindsided this year by a diagnosis of hypertensive disorder, even though I am pretty darn fit, don't smoke, and am not elderly. For me, it was hereditary (even though I didn't realize it until I had long talks with my folks) and it had been creeping up for a while. Pre-diabetes is not dissimilar, where for some it's got a definite link to something else but for others it just comes up out of the blue. I do think you can turn it around, so don't panic, and unless you feel terrible, don't let it stall your fitness or other positive lifestyle behaviors.

I was recently diagnosed with very high blood pressure, and also am pretty fit and don't smoke. All my tests came back normal, but my bp is very high. My mother had it, so most likely genetic, and I'm 59. I've also gained about 15 pounds in the last two years, so eating hasn't been as good as it should, and I've had a lot of stress lately.

I've been changing the diet, exercising more regularly and taking supplements that have shown to lower bp. I'm hoping eventually to reduce my medication. On the plus side, I'm losing weight and have more energy.

Rhonda 07-16-19 06:23 AM

Thanks everyone. I will be making an appt with a dietitian/nutritionist as the doctor suggested this.

Joni O 07-16-19 06:38 AM

I’d recommend reading The Diabetes Code by Dr. Jason Fung. It very clearly describes how insulin works in the body and how different foods affect the release of insulin and the functioning of the pancreas - and how to reverse the bad effects of certain foods and how to get your pancreas functioning properly again through nutrition. There are different schools of thought on this, just like there are different thoughts on a healthy diet. Different nutritionists have different opinions on this. The book will give you a basis of information so you’re educated going in.

My hubby reduced his a1C from 11 to 6 in about a year by cutting way back on sugar, alcohol and starchy carbs/grains, which is basically what the book recommends. Good luck.

anjabear 07-16-19 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joni O (Post 2830761)
I’d recommend reading The Diabetes Code by Dr. Jason Fung. It very clearly describes how insulin works in the body and how different foods affect the release of insulin and the functioning of the pancreas - and how to reverse the bad effects of certain foods and how to get your pancreas functioning properly again through nutrition. There are different schools of thought on this, just like there are different thoughts on a healthy diet. Different nutritionists have different opinions on this. The book will give you a basis of information so you’re educated going in.

My hubby reduced his a1C from 11 to 6 in about a year by cutting way back on sugar, alcohol and starchy carbs/grains, which is basically what the book recommends. Good luck.

Dr Fung's book is gold. So is his other book The Obesity Code. My husband and I have been practicing IF for going on two years and we love it. Not that it is easy but we feel it's great for our bodies. There are many ways to make IF fit in your lifestyle if you are interested and want to try it.