Video Fitness Forum

Video Fitness Forum (http://forum.videofitness.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://forum.videofitness.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Fluidity Barre vs. Other Barres (http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=228742)

Karla25 06-04-20 08:08 AM

Fluidity Barre vs. Other Barres

Yesterday I found some fluidity barre workouts at a thrift store. I now need a good barre :-) I don’t have a lot of money to spend on one. I’m trying to decide between two, but am open to other barre recommendations. I currently use a chair with a curved back which makes some forward folding positions awkward and uncomfortable for my back.

Any thoughts on the booty-kicker? It’s lightweight and inexpensive. An advertisement came across my FB newsfeed and the barre has good reviews. https://booty-kicker.com/pages/bb?ref=victoriafoody

I’ve also found a used fluidity barre and I’m trying to decide which of the two is the best purchase. I have small exercise area, so would have to move the barre out of the way when not in use. The booty-kicker weighs only 5lbs. and the fluidity barre weighs 55lbs.

Would appreciate hearing any thoughts you have on different barres.

Demeris 06-04-20 08:23 AM

From what I can see, the only advantage a Fluidity barre offers is being able to do pull ups. The fluidity barre has an attached padded mat, which I have never used, folding it up against the back.

Oh, and the Fluidity bar has a straight (perpendicular to the floor) back so you can do flat back ab work.

kathym 06-04-20 08:31 AM

I agree with Demeris. The thing I like most about the fluidity barre is the padded mat that allowed flat back mat workouts. I tend to slump a bit when doing some ab moves and it was a gentle reminder.
I do often have my fluidity barre in the closet as it takes up a lot of space.
I got Cathe's barre and now use it for pullups. It is not a lot smaller but for some reason it does not look as bulky in the room.

alisoncooks 06-04-20 09:36 AM

I liked my Fluidity barre. It was sturdy...but heavy.
The thing I most often used was a 2-step stool like this. The top step was perfect for placing my palms on for bent over moves. (Of course, you can't pull back on it like a Fluidity barre, so there ya go...)

prettyinpink 06-04-20 10:06 AM

The Fluidity barre is great, but I probably wouldn’t ever use mine if I had to fold it and put it away each time.

The Booty Kicker is certainly lighter weight and less expensive, but I really doubt you could pull away on it, and I don’t think it is adjustable, which are the only two reasons I use my barre rather than a chair or countertop.

If you are limited on space, maybe shop for a chair that would work better than the one you have.

For pulling away, a doorway works well, if you have that. I can pull away fully on my Fluidity only if I weight the back end down, otherwise I just don’t use as much of my weight on it.

yogapam 06-04-20 11:38 AM

I had a Fluidity Barre. It is a great piece of equipment but it is heavy and cumbersome to move around. My DH installed a wall barre for me using a 6’ length of railing like you’d used on a stairway, and heavy duty shelf brackets. The brackets are mounted on wall studs so its very strong to lean on or pull away from. I’m very happy with it. It was inexpensive, but you need a dedicated wall for it and you need to be able to see your tv or computer to do workouts.

The Booty Kicker looks interesting, not familiar with it.

bee 06-04-20 11:49 AM

Wish you were near me..... I'm ready to part with my fluidity bar.

bzar 06-04-20 12:13 PM

if i had to buy a barre again, i would get Cathe's high tower or something like it.

that said, i do like my Fluidity barre, and so does my DH - he uses it for pull ups and to anchor his resistance bands!

i lucked out - found a brand new on Craigslist, still in box, with all of the DVDs and accessories for $75. many people have gotten it for far cheaper at thrift stores or garage sales. if you wait long enough, it will come.

i purchased all of the DVDs for the Pilates pro chair (Malibu pilates chair) at a thrift store for something like $8 all together! waiting for a good deal on craigslist.:sun:

Karla25 06-04-20 03:20 PM

Thank you for all of the feedback! I’m still not sure what I am going to do. I’m going to make an appointment to see the fluidity barre. It’s a 40 minute drive each way, ugh. My husband is leaning toward it because he thinks it’s sturdier and will last longer.

I think purchasing a flat back chair would probably cost as much as the used fluidity barre. My exercise room is next to the entryway of the house. I was thinking I could move the barre just outside the room and put a crocheted afghan on it so it would be decorative and I wouldn’t have to move it too far

I’m not sure what flat back ab work is, but there are times I do seated ab work. I probably don’t always think about my form because I’m too busy trying to survive the ab work!

laurajhawk 06-04-20 04:24 PM

I fold my Fluidity barre each time I use it, and I lean it against a wall for storage. You never have to pick up the 55 lbs - it has wheels, so you fold it, secure it with velcro straps, and roll it. It's awkward going round corners, for sure. I like its stability and the backboard, and although I don't use the mat for whole workouts, if I do a barre w/o with a little stretching, I use the attached mat for the floor stretches.