Video Fitness Forum

Video Fitness Forum (http://forum.videofitness.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://forum.videofitness.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   If I started my own barre streaming service.... (http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=228015)

fatkat555 03-05-20 01:14 PM

If I started my own barre streaming service....

What advice would you give me? Don’t do it? :p

Seriously, I own my own small barre studio and have considered doing streaming workouts for quite some time; however, I have no idea where to start. I’m 53 so would that translate well to current market? Music (BIG issue)? I was looking at Vimeo like KCM and Linda from Barlates.

Any thoughts/advice are welcome. I have to admit to being tech challenged so I really do appreciate any input.

Softshoe 03-05-20 01:54 PM

Though I don't subscribe to any streaming, let me encourage you. I just wanted to say I wish instructors would consider the setting a bit more. For example, Linda from Barlates came out with a "Traditional Barre Series". The rebounder in the background doesn't go with the theme, at least for me. Setting the stage is important. Good luck!!

fatkat555 03-05-20 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Softshoe (Post 2862413)
Though I don't subscribe to any streaming, let me encourage you. I just wanted to say I wish instructors would consider the setting a bit more. For example, Linda from Barlates came out with a "Traditional Barre Series". The rebounder in the background doesn't go with the theme, at least for me. Setting the stage is important. Good luck!!

Thank you! :)

antbuko 03-05-20 02:39 PM

Fatkat, why don't you test drive on Youtube? I support a few channels on Patreon and they release patron-only videos on Youtube. That's something you can consider. I don't know how Vimeo works but I'd be interested to see your videos. :) Patreon has different levels of support, i.e. tiered pricing to which additional services are offered to each tier. I just took a look and I see Pahla B has a Patreon page and there are a number of other fitness video instructors as well.

fatkat555 03-05-20 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by antbuko (Post 2862417)
Fatkat, why don't you test drive on Youtube? I support a few channels on Patreon and they release patron-only videos on Youtube. That's something you can consider. I don't know how Vimeo works but I'd be interested to see your videos. :) Patreon has different levels of support, i.e. tiered pricing to which additional services are offered to each tier. I just took a look and I see Pahla B has a Patreon page and there are a number of other fitness video instructors as well.

Thank you! I’ll definitely consider YouTube!

bubbles76 03-05-20 06:03 PM

I was going to suggest youtube to test drive as well.

fatkat555 03-05-20 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bubbles76 (Post 2862455)
I was going to suggest youtube to test drive as well.

:heart:

yogapam 03-05-20 11:19 PM

I don’t have any advice to give, but I’d love to try your workouts on YT. That’s a great idea! It sounds like a good starting point, do keep us posted please!

Sand 03-06-20 01:16 AM

A lot of barre workouts miss the opportunity to market to the older crowd who doesn't workout. Or even to people who are going through health setbacks and/or recoveries.

My parents are in their 70's and I'd love to get them into some type of movement routine that will help them as they age. I have a standing barre that I don't currently use and was thinking that I could show them certain standing barre moves to get them moving.

Demeris 03-06-20 09:01 AM

Do it! If you do something through YouTube, you'd have all of us VFers cheering you on. Do it!

fatkat555 03-06-20 04:13 PM

Wow! Thank you all for the encouragement! :love:

Would lack of music be a deal breaker? Copyright issues...

yogapam 03-06-20 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fatkat555 (Post 2862597)

It wouldn’t be a deal breaker for me. If I want music, it’s easy to play my own.

prettyinpink 03-06-20 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yogapam (Post 2862601)
It wouldn’t be a deal breaker for me. If I want music, it’s easy to play my own.

I second that. Sometimes I’d rather play my own, anyway.
I don’t know what the average exerciser would want, though.

Scorpio6 03-06-20 09:46 PM

• Would love to see barre workouts that actually use ballet/classical music, at least for some of them.
  • Most of the barre workouts I see also go too fast and you really get great results with slower, more controlled movements.
  • You also need to show modifications down for ppl who have mobility / joint issues going on.
  • Have all the standing work, then a separate section for floor work. Better yet, have a totally separate workout for floor work. Don't be hopping back and forth with standing vs down on the mat like Carrie Rezabek did with a lot of Pure Barre workouts.
Have some available that are really advanced instead of the same old same old beginning standard fare

Softshoe 03-06-20 10:43 PM

I love piano for classwork.

fatkat555 03-07-20 12:05 AM

These are great recommendations! Thank you! What about setting? Example: I have the studio, but it has high ceilings and audio might have echoes. I have a home gym with barres set up affectionately called “shed barre”. Do you prefer pretty or functional setting, or does it even matter?

yogapam 03-07-20 01:21 AM

I’m more about the workout than the setting. So I say chose the setting you feel the most comfortable in.

killoffsonny 03-07-20 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fatkat555 (Post 2862597)

Music to me is just background stuff. Unless I'm doing a choreographed workout that I need to keep beat to then I really don't need music.

fatkat555 03-14-20 10:20 AM

And yet another question I have. :)

Do you prefer voice-over instruction or live recorded instruction?

Demeris 03-14-20 11:10 AM

I don't need music, either.

And I prefer live to voice over.

anetta 03-14-20 12:34 PM

I would also like a workout with Classical music and I would love to try this if you try it out on Youtube.

Anita

yogapam 03-14-20 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fatkat555 (Post 2863576)
And yet another question I have. :)

Do you prefer voice-over instruction or live recorded instruction?

Live is my preference.

FirmDeb 03-14-20 06:51 PM

You should definitely give YT a try since you have your own studio! I prefer live to voice over and I've found music to be distracting but if you choose to have music, YT does have music you can use "legally", you'd probably have to check the agreement for your own music if it can be used through video rather than just in a studio class. Peloton ran into a problem with music. Anyway, how exciting! Good luck!

fatkat555 03-22-20 11:32 PM

Well, it looks like I’ve been thrown into the deep end with creating online workouts! Tomorrow I’m doing my first livestream class from my house. EEK! I hate seeing and hearing myself on video so maybe it’ll be ok. I’ve also had people asking about any on-demand videos. I sooo was not ready to start yet, but here we go! :eek:

Sand 03-23-20 01:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fatkat555 (Post 2865392)
Well, it looks like I’ve been thrown into the deep end with creating online workouts! Tomorrow I’m doing my first livestream class from my house. EEK! I hate seeing and hearing myself on video so maybe it’ll be ok. I’ve also had people asking about any on-demand videos. I sooo was not ready to start yet, but here we go! :eek:

You'll be great!

Softshoe 03-23-20 02:24 AM

Good Luck!

Demeris 03-23-20 08:02 AM

You'll be great. And we'll be grateful.

fatkat555 03-28-20 12:17 PM

Getting closer! I’ve been doing live classes via Zoom and working out lighting and sound issues. I might do a few classes filmed outside and a few at my shed barre location under my house. Once I’m satisfied with quality I’ll upload to YouTube. :)

fatkat555 03-31-20 03:47 PM

So naturally everything is held up a bit. :( The lights I need are delayed delivery until 4/18. I have a neighbor who is going to let me borrow some of his lights. He’s a photographer, but won’t get to his studio until later this week. My ring light, however, should arrive Thursday. Good news! I’ve picked up three new clients this week for live streaming despite tech issues. :)

yogapam 03-31-20 03:53 PM

Awesome, I hope you’ll post a link for us when you’re on YT!

fatkat555 03-31-20 04:09 PM

So naturally everything is held up a bit. :( The lights I need are delayed delivery until 4/18. I have a neighbor who is going to let me borrow some of his lights. He’s a photographer, but won’t get to his studio until later this week. My ring light, however, should arrive Thursday. Good news! I’ve picked up three new clients this week for live streaming despite tech issues. :)

fatkat555 04-02-20 08:23 PM

I’ve finally gotten my live class ironed out. My lighting situation still isn’t the best, but it’s much improved over what it was. I’m using a setup of lamps strategically set around my she shed. So now i can finally turn my attention to making a test YouTube video. One more question: do you prefer an outdoor setting or indoor setting for videos? Outdoor I would use my suspension barre setup and indoor is a fixed ballet barre.

Edited: well, I tried to add photos of both locations so I could get some input, but I’m unable to upload from my iPad. Tech issues always (sigh)

BunnyHop 04-02-20 08:51 PM

This is so exciting for you! Neat. :)

My own preferences in terms of visuals are all about good contrast. I need to be able to see what the instructor is doing so that I can properly follow along.

Add me to the group who needs to have their 'perpetual state of recovery' situation acknowledged.

Sure, there are those who can go hard core, up on their toes, in perfect position for a zillion repetitions. More power to them, but I simply cannot join in.

In terms of style? I don't much care for loads of TIFTing, and hate it when the reps on one side aren't repeated evenly on the other. Physically I cannot do much up on my toes (old broken toe and other issues). If the workout depends on being up on the balls of my feet, again, it's not something I can do, so it won't hold my attention.

In terms of coping with my own limitations, I have found that I get the best results by working well within my own limits, whatever the instructor might say. Not extending fully, never over reaching, never working in pain or even strong discomfort. Sure, working is the purpose, but moving slowly and deliberately within my own limits has brought me more progress than anything else I've tried over the past ten years.

From an instructional point of view, I'm not a beginner. I don't need to work at a snail's pace once the moves and sequence are familiar, but I do need to move with deliberation and respect for my limitations. If you ask me there's LOTS of need out there for instructors who are willing to acknowledge that segment of the population.

Little annoys me more than an instructor who constantly implies that working fast and hard and pushing my limits will bring me progress, and that if I'm not doing those things that I must not care about my good health. I need to work within certain limits because I've learned the hard way that it's the only thing that works for me.

I do hope this whole project is great fun for you, it really sounds like an exciting new adventure.

fatkat555 04-02-20 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BunnyHop (Post 2867438)
This is so exciting for you! Neat. :)

Physically I cannot do much up on my toes (old broken toe and other issues). If the workout depends on being up on the balls of my feet, again, it's not something I can do, so it won't hold my attention.

Thank you for your input! I honestly appreciate it!

One thing I’ve done in studio to help those with broken toes or neuroma where they have trouble with releve (on the balls of the feet) is to elevate the heels with a yoga block and the weight should be in the heels. (If you pitch your weight forward in releve to the balls of the feet it puts all the work in the knee) I have all my clients who use the block option stay higher in their stance with less of a knee bend. There’s more to it, of course, with the back position. If this doesn’t help, good ol’ squat position with flat feet will. I generally do only two raised heel positions for thigh, one set for thigh is always flat-footed, low heel, or kneeling. My clients are for the most part women between 40-71. We ALL have to modify. :)

I believe you get better results by truly engaging the muscles you’re supposed to be working. It’s as much mental as physical. To do this effectively if you fling your body through space you lose a lot of the work. I also look at flexibility as more as a strength issue where you get better results through active flexibility work than passive stretching. I’ve seen some gains ( small, but noticeable) in both strength AND flexibility by changing my thinking in this respect. Can you tell I love :love: my job? :D

BunnyHop 04-03-20 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fatkat555 (Post 2867442)
Thank you for your input! I honestly appreciate it!

... Can you tell I love :love: my job? :D

You're welcome! Glad to share. I've seen too many instructors lose the chance to connect with their students by being apparently indifferent to their needs.

My favorite yoga teacher IRL always begins by reminding us of the need to start where you are and work within a range that's healthy for you. Her choice of words when she give instruction is very precise so that she doesn't inadvertently shut down somebody's chance to stay focused.

Best of luck with all of this, it's really exciting!

fatkat555 04-08-20 10:24 PM

Filming tomorrow!! :eek:

I hope to get the video up on YouTube soon after. Will keep you all posted when it’s up.

yogapam 04-08-20 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fatkat555 (Post 2868461)
Filming tomorrow!! :eek:

I hope to get the video up on YouTube soon after. Will keep you all posted when it’s up.

Yay, hope all goes smoothly!

fatkat555 04-14-20 02:00 PM

So nothing went smoothly! 😂 I keep having constant tech issues, incompatible equipment. It’s very frustrating. I did get a little sample up on YouTube. Unfortunately the audio has a horrible echo, but I’m working on the sound issues. This is a very generic, basic barre warmup with upper body. Let me know what you think.

https://youtu.be/fB6uuRMfwQM

anetta 04-14-20 03:50 PM

Thanks for the link, I will check it out

Anita

fatkat555 04-14-20 04:28 PM

I just added another one where I had background music and a microphone. Please let me know if this makes no difference or if it’s better. Thank you! I value your opinion!
https://youtu.be/si8LH5oAoCI