Video Fitness Forum

Video Fitness Forum (http://forum.videofitness.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://forum.videofitness.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Looking for shorter, beginner-friendly barre workouts (http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=229672)

ElisaB 10-23-20 07:30 AM

Looking for shorter, beginner-friendly barre workouts

Hello everyone.

I’m recovering from some health challenges in the past year, and I finally feel like I can handle some low-impact workouts. I really feel like barre would suit me best right now, so I have tried a few videos I already own, and found that most aren’t quite what I like/need, so I thought I’d ask for your input:

I liked:
Squeeze Lower Body Challenge. I like her style of instruction, with well-paced reps and pointers on form throughout. It does have far too many lunges for my knees, but I can get a good workout even if I only do one set or skip the lunge segment.

Didn’t like:
- Booty Barre Beginner’s and Beyond: it moves too fast to learn proper form, IMO, and she doesn’t give enough points to on form during the actual workout. (I did watch the tutorial, but I think as a beginner, I need more guidance than that while doing the actual moves).
- Element Ballet Conditioning: too much like classic ballet (I know, it’s in the title, duh — I bought it a while ago), and I don’t find the slow music and calm, meditative vibe motivating.

Undecided:
Pop Physique: the outfits and the instruction’s style bug me a little bit, and some of the exercises at the beginning look like they’ll bother my shoulders, but I think I could get a good workout out of it if I’m willing to skip to the segment I want. But right now it’s far too long for my needs.

Based on the above, do you have any suggestions for shorter (15-30) video workouts with good instruction? I’ve been out of the loop for the past year so I know NOTHING about new releases in this genre.

yogapam 10-23-20 08:12 AM

Suzanne Bowen’s Flat Belly Barre is one you might like. It has three 30 minute workouts. The pace is nice, instruction is good, and it’s not overly challenging. The shorter Barre3 workouts are an option, Standing Slim is 30 min.

bubbles76 10-23-20 08:16 AM

I was going to suggest the shorter barre 3 workouts as well. They are always suggested in these beginner barre threads. You could also try the older Lotte Berk dvds. They are shorter with form pointers. Lastly, you might enjoy Core Fusion. I don't think the workouts are considered strictly barre, but they have form instructions throughout and are broken up into 10 minute segments. They are not programmable, but you can easily navigate to the sections you like.

owltx 10-23-20 12:25 PM

I am not a barre expert by any means, but I would suggest Suzanne Bowen's BarreAmped. She's got a really good tutorial on this one - it really helped me when I was starting out with barre workouts. She has @5 or so different segments, each about 9-15 minutes long - so you could break it up into however long/body part focus you would like. She has great tips on form.

bzar 10-23-20 12:30 PM

*exhale core fusion has a Barre Basics for Beginners DVD, a compilation of their other workouts.
https://www.amazon.com/EXHALE-FUSION...v%2C304&sr=8-2

**Kathy smith's Total Body Lift is pretty good too. she's calm in this one and even intermediates might enjoy this one.
https://www.amazon.com/Kathy-Smith-T...3473851&sr=8-1

EDITED TO ADD:
*Exhale core fusion is in 10 minute segments.
**Kathy's is programmable and well-chaptered from the main menu

alisoncooks 10-23-20 12:45 PM

If you like a more athletic barre workout, you may like Cathe's Turbo Barre. It's easy to just do part of it.

eventmom 10-23-20 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yogapam (Post 2895124)
Suzanne Bowen’s Flat Belly Barre is one you might like. It has three 30 minute workouts. The pace is nice, instruction is good, and it’s not overly challenging. The shorter Barre3 workouts are an option, Standing Slim is 30 min.

these are great suggestions - have both of these dvds. If you liked squeeze lower body take a look at the original squeeze - it is chaptered and there is an extras section with chaptered short focused workouts.

Sand 10-23-20 11:03 PM

Anytime I start barre again, I do The Bar Method Designer Sculpting and Fat Free. I think they are both less than 40 minutes and Burr really focuses on form.

JackieB 10-24-20 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yogapam (Post 2895124)

I really like Pam's suggestions, too. I had a Barre3 subscription last year and used the short workouts regularly.

I just picked up Jessica Smith's barre workout, too, and have been enjoying that.

anjabear 10-26-20 01:01 PM

The Bar Method Beginner's workout is :37. There is also tutorial with Burr Leonard featured.

Callanetics am/pm w/o has two short workouts, it is from the 80s but now available on DVD. This moves slower than the BM w/o's. They are :20 and :17 minutes each. Callan leads these w/o's.

Newer Callantics featuring Lacy Condi: Callanetics Basics, from 2016 and :32, this is a beginner w/o with fewer reps and exercises.

Also Callanetics Wake Up/Wind Down, :20 and :17 minutes each again with Laci Condi and from 2016. This is an updated version of am/pm w/o.

You might want to check them out on a YouTube clip; I have them all and like each one.