Video Fitness Forum

Video Fitness Forum (http://forum.videofitness.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://forum.videofitness.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Cathe Weighted Vest (http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=134538)

Sancho 06-10-09 04:57 PM

Cathe Weighted Vest

Well, there's a reason I never watch QVC . . . I'm easily swayed into buying things.

So I clicked on the link for the weighted vest she was showing on QVC today and although I have NEVER wanted one before, on QVC it just looked like something I have to own. But then the segment was over and I started thinking, m"Will I really use this?". I did some research of past posts and I see that most people use it for walking or doing leg workouts. I don't feel like I need it for leg workouts and I don't walk, I run. But, sometimes I want to do low impact cardio and I have a hard time getting my HR up to the zone. Could I wear the vest while doing a workout like Low Max ? Does anyone use the vest for something other than walking and leg workouts? I'm really more interested in using it to increase the intensity of my cardio. Bad idea? Good idea???

Thanks,

Lauren

PhyllisG 06-10-09 05:23 PM

Ha! That is exactly how I felt--never wanted the weighted vest and all of a sudden I am thinking about ordering it. I had to get a grip and rethink what I was doing. The vest, I believe, is good for walking and for leg workouts and not for any other cardio such as step, rebounding or running. Somewhere I think I remember Cathe mentioning this.

JP44 06-10-09 07:35 PM

I use mine for lower body work so I don't have to hold heavier dumbbells or hoist as heavy of a barbell over my head. Pairing it w/ a loose makeshift weighted belt made of ankle weights, I'm "wearing" 20 lbs that I don't have to hold or hoist. Sorry, I wouldn't wear it walking outside--I still think I'd look weird. It also strains my upper traps if I wear it longer than 15 - 20 min.

Joan (JP44)

Terry 06-11-09 05:20 AM

Before you order that, check out the vest that is available at Walmart to see if you like it just as well. The Walmart vest might be cheaper. I think it's either a Joe Weider vest (based on me thinking I saw that name on the box) or else a Gold's Gym vest (based on my memory of the box looking like the box my Gold's Gym jump rope was in when I got it from Walmart.)

PhyllisG 06-11-09 05:41 AM

Walmart was also selling Cathe's weighted vest at a better price with no shipping as you can pick it up at your nearest Walmart. If only they would sell her bands which are $20 but her site lists shipping at $10 and I live in NYS. I want them but cannot justify those shipping charges.

Rhonda 06-11-09 06:07 AM

On QVC they are saying it is a 10 lb adjustable vest. I don't see anywhere you can take out the weights? Also is it washable with all the weight in it?

I actually didn't think Cathe's was adjustable.

Correct me if I am wrong.

Rhonda

Clare* 06-11-09 06:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terry (Post 1359757)
Before you order that, check out the vest that is available at Walmart to see if you like it just as well. The Walmart vest might be cheaper. I think it's either a Joe Weider vest (based on me thinking I saw that name on the box) or else a Gold's Gym vest (based on my memory of the box looking like the box my Gold's Gym jump rope was in when I got it from Walmart.)

Walmart definitely has the Cathe vest online: Cathe Vest online

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhonda (Post 1359769)
On QVC they are saying it is a 10 lb adjustable vest. I don't see anywhere you can take out the weights? Also is it washable with all the weight in it?

I actually didn't think Cathe's was adjustable.

Correct me if I am wrong.

Rhonda

I think they meant adjustable in fit (to fit all sizes) rather then adjustable weights

lioness 06-11-09 08:36 AM

I was thinking of getting the vest as well but I'm not sure 10 pounds is heavy enough. I wouldn't use it for walking but I would use it for lower body and other workouts like step ups, walking lunges, pull ups and push ups.

When I took a fitness boot camp class people would wear one for the entire workout which often included running.

Kathy G 06-11-09 08:45 AM

The other one Walmart sells that's similar to the Cathe vest is a Gold's Gym brand (but also made by Altus who makes Cathe's vest). It's the EXACT same thing but weighs 12 lbs.

I bought it and use it to add more weight to lower body work. It's really comfortable and it's been a good purchase for me. HTH.

Kathy G

a_real_twit 06-11-09 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kathy G (Post 1359847)
The other one Walmart sells that's similar to the Cathe vest is a Gold's Gym brand (but also made by Altus who makes Cathe's vest). It's the EXACT same thing but weighs 12 lbs.

I bought it and use it to add more weight to lower body work. It's really comfortable and it's been a good purchase for me. HTH.

Kathy G

Thanks, this helps alot because I was looking at this vest this past weekend and wondering how similar it is to Cathe's. I recall it being around $35 for 12 pounds.