Video Fitness Forum

Video Fitness Forum (http://forum.videofitness.com/index.php)
-   Clothing, Shoes, Equipment, Gear (http://forum.videofitness.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Let's discuss socks and inserts (http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=138036)

mizach 09-10-09 07:09 AM

Let's discuss socks and inserts

Where do you buy your socks and inserts?
What brand do you buy?
I bought Superfeet inserts and seamless cushiony socks last Saturday. DS joined a running club and we signed up for Pumpkin Run. The socks cost $10 a pair and the Superfeet inserts cost $40 a pair. My total bill was about $650 (running shoes, socks and inserts for DH, DS, and I). :eek:
Can you share where you buy your socks and inserts? DS loves his expensive socks :D. They feel like your walking on cotton balls or clouds. :heart:

Sarah-lara 09-10-09 09:03 AM

I have always used green Superfeet, but I have a hiking friend (he frequently does six-month hikes, so I assume he knows his stuff) who stopped using those in favor of Ed Viesturs inserts and says he'll never look back. I do not know whether the Ed Viesturs are good for plyo work or running. The next time I need inserts, I'm going to have to compare the two brands.

For most jogging or rebounding, I like my cushiony Thorlo socks, but for very long walks like ultra-marathons I prefer Injinji socks as they prevent toenails from digging in their neighboring toes. That is a big problem for me on long walks.

mizach 09-10-09 03:05 PM

Hi Sarah,
Thanks for the info! I saw those inserts at REI. I'll check them out when I buy more socks and running clothes LOL.
We've always used Birkenstocks inserts so the Superfeet were different. DH said he had the most pleasant run with the new shoes, Superfeet and socks. He did not have any knee pain.
The socks we bought were Balegas.

Debbie S. 09-10-09 06:47 PM

I love Thorlos' trail/hiking socks. I use them for everything.

mizach 09-11-09 05:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Debbie S. (Post 1404446)
I love Thorlos' trail/hiking socks. I use them for everything.

Where do you buy them?

Kathryn 09-11-09 10:40 PM

I used to think Thorlos were the best (and they are good if you need padding), but I've recently discovered Balega socks (bought through Amazon, but the order comes with a coupon good for 15% future orders placed directly through the company that sells them). They are perfect for preventing blisters, which was a problem I was having with powerwalking even with Thorlos.

Debbie S. 09-11-09 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mizach (Post 1404569)
Where do you buy them?

Lorna, the last couple of times I have gotten them from:

grobros

Debbie S. 09-11-09 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kathryn (Post 1405013)
I used to think Thorlos were the best (and they are good if you need padding), but I've recently discovered Balega socks (bought through Amazon, but the order comes with a coupon good for 15% future orders placed directly through the company that sells them). They are perfect for preventing blisters, which was a problem I was having with powerwalking even with Thorlos.

Kathryn, I really like the logo on the Balega socks. :)

mizach 09-13-09 09:39 AM

Hi Debbie and Kathryn,
Thanks for the info about Thorlos and Balegas.
DH, DS and I have 3 pairs each of Balegas and they are really awesome!

How can I be so excited about socks? Why didn't I treat myself with these before? Now I want all my workout socks to be the best. I deserve the best. :D

Orlita 09-13-09 10:27 AM

How often should one replace the inserts?
I've had the same pair for maybe 6 years, but I'd only do my 2-hour mountain hike once a week, and I have gone many months without hiking at times. So it's not as easy to measure wear by frequency of use.
Thanks.