Video Fitness Forum

Video Fitness Forum (http://forum.videofitness.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://forum.videofitness.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   A Cathe chronological rotation and reflecting on the past (http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=227692)

kittybug 01-16-20 07:14 PM

A Cathe chronological rotation and reflecting on the past

A few weeks ago I got a wild hair and decided to embark on a Cathe rotation in chronological order of year produced. Until today (when I ordered a couple of her older DVDs with my preorder), my oldest workouts of hers were the Intensity Series. I don't have every single DVD Cathe has ever put out, but I have at least some from each series since then if not most, so I figured this would be a fun adventure to try.

I'm three weeks into my planned four weeks of rotating the Intensity Series (Pyramid Upper and Lower, Boot Camp/Muscle Endurance, Imax 2/Cardio and Weights, and The Terminator) before moving on. Two things....one, this has kicked my bum in a really nice way, and two, WOW, I wouldn't say I'm bored, but I'm absolutely craving variety already now and can't wait to move on to the Body Blast series just for a change! After only three weeks! And that got me thinking...

I remember my early days when I only had The Firm (on VHS), the originals, and not even all of them. I'd rotate volumes 2, 3, and 4, and I did that for YEARS before discovering other workouts. YEARS. I can't even fathom that now.

I will say there's something to be said for repeating workouts like this. It has given me a gauge to notice improvement, and I can really focus because I know what to expect by heart, which is great. And I wonder if I'd be feeling this antsy if I didn't have all these other great series to work my way through, like back in the day, when we didn't have all these choices!

I guess I'm just reflecting on the past and appreciating what I have now! :D

This little reminiscence brought to you by the letter S, for sore, which is what I am! :sun: :heart:

fanofladyvols 01-16-20 08:22 PM

I never had anything but a few Tamilee workouts that I rotated...FOR YEARS.

AND as much as I love those workouts...I would definitely get bored if that's all I did. I am sure that having all these other workouts would keep me from only doing the same few.

bubbles76 01-16-20 08:25 PM

There are days I wish I didn't have so much variety. I can't believe I'm saying that lol! But I remember rotating Jari Love and Christi Taylor workouts. That was pretty much all I had. How times have changed.

bzar 01-16-20 08:35 PM

yes, I suffer from analysis paralysis. last year, I went through a period where I just made up my own workout w/o following along to a video.

I recall a time when my whole collection fit into a banker's box. I think I could emulate that now - just focus on a handful of workouts and put my blinders on instead of:

squirrel! (distracted)
squirrel! (distracted again)

annette 01-16-20 08:40 PM

[QUOTE=kittybug;2855851]
I will say there's something to be said for repeating workouts like this. It has given me a gauge to notice improvement, and I can really focus because I know what to expect by heart, which is great. /QUOTE]

I wish I could make myself stick to repeating workouts for a month because I believe you're right. However, the longest I've been able to stick with it is 2 weeks. Short attention span I suppose.

Have fun! Let us know how it goes with the Body Blast series.

athompson10 01-16-20 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kittybug (Post 2855851)
I will say there's something to be said for repeating workouts like this. It has given me a gauge to notice improvement, and I can really focus because I know what to expect by heart, which is great. And I wonder if I'd be feeling this antsy if I didn't have all these other great series to work my way through, like back in the day, when we didn't have all these choices!

So true! I started my vidiot career rotating between Firm Volumes 1 and 2, and I got such a boost when I had to buy a set of 12# dumbbells because the recommended 5,8 and 10-pounders were too easy. It was a real feeling of achievement to move up.

I love the variety we have now - step? floor? hiit? interval? high reps? low reps? circuits? - but miss the simplicity of knowing it was either Workout 1 or Workout 2. I did those two workouts so often, I could do them by heart today if you just played the audio track.

FitBoop 01-17-20 02:21 AM

That is a great idea, Kittybug! I may try this with Cathe’s!

ChelePA 01-17-20 05:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FitBoop (Post 2855889)
That is a great idea, Kittybug! I may try this with Cathe’s!

I did this 2 years ago. I think I owned 85 DVDs at that point . It was lots of fun!!! So many oldies but goodies. But I agree there is something with repeating workouts in a rotation to see your progress.

tiletha444 01-17-20 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kittybug (Post 2855851)
A few weeks ago I got a wild hair and decided to embark on a Cathe rotation in chronological order of year produced.

I will say there's something to be said for repeating workouts like this. It has given me a gauge to notice improvement, and I can really focus because I know what to expect by heart, which is great.

This is such a fun idea! :sun:

I prefer repeating workouts for this very reason. I like being able to notice my improvement with the workouts.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bzar (Post 2855861)
yes, I suffer from analysis paralysis.

squirrel! (distracted)
squirrel! (distracted again)

This is me! I have such a difficult time making decisions about which workouts to do with sooo many choices:o

warriorprincess 01-17-20 09:34 AM

Every year or two, I'll go through Cathe's STS. In fact, I have one more workout to go to complete my latest rotation. I love the longer rest periods and heavy weights of Mesocycle 3, and repeating the same exercises for 4 weeks.