Video Fitness Forum

Video Fitness Forum (http://forum.videofitness.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://forum.videofitness.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Bar Method vs. Barre3 (http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=156467)

shortie 11-08-10 11:06 AM

Bar Method vs. Barre3

After doing a lot of Barre3 lately, I did Designer Sculpting this morning. I was so struck by the difference in time-efficiency! I know this isn't new news to many, but Burr spends (wastes?) so much time in setup! "OK, what we're going to do next is . . . so, do this with your feet . . . this is going to give you long thigh muscles . . . OK, get ready now . . . we'll start in just a second . . .are you ready?"

In contrast, Sadie gets you in and gets you going, with plenty of form pointers as you get started to make sure you're doing it right. Not a wasted word, or second.

Bottom line, despite DS being 45 minutes and Barre3 being 40, I bet DS spends 1/3 of the time in chatter, making Barre3 much more effective in comparison.

meg39 11-08-10 11:53 AM

Burr does spend a LOT of time in setup, but I have done this workout so many times that I just add more reps. I can easily add 10 more reps to most of her exercises, if not more. I absolutely love the ending stretches in TBM.

That said, I also love the abs section in Barre3...probably my favorite ab section in all the different barre workouts.

D72 11-08-10 12:26 PM

DS also has the Bonus Workout in the Special Features section (as does Fat Free) which helps add even more to the workout.

alisoncooks 11-08-10 12:44 PM

I did Barre3 this morning. I'm on the fence about it. It may be too fusion-y for me, IDK. This is my 2nd time doing it and (again) the time dragged for me.

Sadie is adorable and I LOVE that she is a real person who is very intelligent (read the back of the case, earned her masters in higher education administration)....I love that she says that one reaching ab move is like "feeding the kids in the back seat"...makes her seem *real* and *normal*.

However, I am not *loving* this like I wanted to. The movements are a bigger range of motion than pure Lotte Berk (maybe more ballet like?)...and I've come to the conclusion that I do NOT like ballet-like.

We shall see. I want to love it, since it gets such raves...

TinaT 11-08-10 12:47 PM

I'm getting ready to do this workout today. I finally received Barre3 this weekend.

momofcha 11-08-10 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meg39 (Post 1664743)
I also love the abs section in Barre3...probably my favorite ab section in all the different barre workouts.

I couldn't agree more. This is the only ab section I will do.... :love:

D72 11-08-10 01:02 PM

I hear you Alison in that it's definitely less informed by LBM than say yoga or Pilates.

alisoncooks 11-08-10 01:38 PM

I did want to add for clarification:
My lack of enthusiasm for Barre3 isn't b/c it's too "easy" or "beginner". I don't want anyone to think that; to be honest, I am not a person who always (or even often ;)) wants the hardest, toughest, burning-est workout.

Anyway, I did feel that Barre3 was challenging. Maybe b/c I was tired/sore from a previous workout, but parts of the standing leg work were very challenging.

Just wanted to throw this out there in case someone was hesitating b/c they thought this was too easy. I think barre is as easy as you make it...

kitty12 11-08-10 01:39 PM

There is hardly any set up in Dancer's Body if you want to try that DVD. She flows nicely from exercise to exercise.

D72 11-08-10 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alisoncooks (Post 1664791)
I think barre is as easy as you make it...

Brilliant and so true!

I totally didn't mean to imply that you specifically thought that. I was just yak-in' on about the workout (and some of the general issues that have been brought up about it in past threads) in general.
:)