Video Fitness Forum

Video Fitness Forum (http://forum.videofitness.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://forum.videofitness.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   We Cheer (Wii) workout mode review (http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=124835)

Sue B 10-15-08 02:15 PM

We Cheer (Wii) workout mode review

I just got the game We Cheer for Wii, and while I'm still trying to get the hang of the game itself, the workout mode is about the most exercise-video-like I've seen on Wii.

You can see the workout mode (and the rest of the game) here:
http://www.wecheergame.com/
(Click on Game Info and Gameplay, and scroll down to the bottom video to see the workout mode)

In workout mode, you can select either Quick (2 minutes) or Extended (4 minutes) workout. Then you hold 2 remotes, 1 in each hand, and mirror the animated cheerleader's moves just like you're doing a workout video. The choreography is very similar to what we're used to on simple cardio videos: step touches, squats, lunges, knee-ups, etc., and the cheer-bot cues about as well as your average Firm instructor :) As you follow her moves, lines appear on the screen that you're supposed to trace with your remotes. The game really seems to "know" what you're doing with your hands; for instance, when she does triceps kickbacks, you have to do them too or else you won't get your "stars".

What's really funny about the workout mode is that you have a student at the beginning of each session, an obese boy who laments that he wants to play ball or lose weight, and needs your help. He then works out on the left side of the screen, and as you rack up the moves, he shrinks into a thin, studly dude (if only!). He then thanks you for changing his life and gives you a gift of, what else, a new cheerleading uniform. The more Biggest Losers you make over, the more workouts appear with slightly harder steps and different music.

The generic workout music isn't bad, but I wish the workouts had some of the awesome, original-artist songlist from the main game (Bodyrock, Unbelievable, Gonna Make You Sweat, and more).

Overall, this is just pure cheesy fun, and an indication of what workouts on Wii might look like if people like Cathe get involved.

lindseylu8 10-15-08 02:33 PM

thanks for your reveiw!!! Amazon sent me a link for this and I just laughed at it. But it actually sounds cute/fun and a good w/o!

bbarbaruba 10-15-08 02:46 PM

Thanks!

I was wondering about this game. Did you use the Wii Balance Board. How do you do the back flips?

Sue B 10-15-08 03:01 PM

No back flips here! :) There are some split jumps, though. This game doesn't use the balance board, just two remotes. All Star Cheer Squad, which is coming in 2 weeks, uses the balance board. I don't have one so someone else will have to review that game.

mrs lightyear 10-16-08 10:55 AM

Thanks Sue. I am currently having a ball with Helix - a true cardio upper arm workout! We Cheer looks cool too :)

Vintage VFer 10-16-08 11:09 AM

Sue is our video game workout tester supreme! :sun:

I like the upbeat music. The cueing in workout mode is worse than Chalene's (if that is possible)! I think I'll give this a miss.

(I'm waiting on a six month update on that "Active Life" one before I buy that one. I want to know if the mat falls apart, etc.)

Sue B 10-16-08 08:46 PM

Alta, do you mean you have We Cheer, or you're talking about the online video? I agree about the cueing; Chalene is almost that bad? Yikes!

Our Active Life mat has held up well so far, but it does feel flaky. I need to reinforce it somehow.

I love Helix, too!! So easy to just pick up and do for a few minutes. :music:

Vintage VFer 10-17-08 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sue B
Alta, do you mean you have We Cheer, or you're talking about the online video? I agree about the cueing; Chalene is almost that bad? Yikes!

Our Active Life mat has held up well so far, but it does feel flaky. I need to reinforce it somehow.

I love Helix, too!! So easy to just pick up and do for a few minutes. :music:

I looked at the We Cheer online video.

I count on you to let me know about new Wii workouts. (Don't feel any pressure or anything!) ;)

Mary W 10-17-08 09:06 PM

I really need to stay away from these threads :p . I bought We Cheer today after reading Sue's review, and I LOVE it! I stink at it, at least so far, but it is FUN! FUN! FUN! I actually thought I was doing pretty good, but when I was done it said I had "failed." boohoo. Workout mode was okay, but the music wasn't as much fun. I like the cheers! I can't wait for my granddaughter to come play with me!!

Thanks Sue! I think :D .

Now, tell me about Active Life. Haha. I love Outdoor Challenge. I'm also waiting for Fitness Ultimatum 2009, which I should have by the end of this month! I love my Wii!!!

Mary W 10-18-08 02:09 PM

oops, I just realized Active Life is Outdoor Challenge. Love that one!