Video Fitness Forum

Video Fitness Forum (http://forum.videofitness.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://forum.videofitness.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Joyce Vedral: "On The Ball Workout" (http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=192636)

imhere2dance 05-09-13 10:15 AM

Joyce Vedral: "On The Ball Workout"

I recently e-mailed Joyce for rotation help using the 12 DVDs I have. Instead, she recommended I buy the 6 I'm missing and then gave me a full bootcamp plan. LOL
(Thankfully Mandy was a huge help when I PM'd her for advice. :heart:)

I told Joyce that I won't be buying On The Ball Workout because I don't have a ball, nor do I plan on getting one. She told me the workout can be done without one. Please check out the two clips (number 1 and number 2) and tell me what you think because I don't agree. I did a couple of searches, but I didn't find much info about this workout. Has anyone actually done it without a ball? What, if anything, could be used in place of one?

By the way, I'm not interested in the videos I don't have, so I won't be buying them. But you have to hand it to Joyce: she's always trying to make a sale. :p

dbclark44 05-09-13 10:39 AM

I just reviewed the clip and have to agree with Joyce. The workout can be modified to be done without the ball. All the moves she does with a ball can be done either lying a bench sitting or standing. The ab work is easy to modify without the ball - just do the moves with no ball. Oth other hand, personally though why would I buy a ball workout if I have no ball to use it with? Especially when there are so many other workouts available.

MsThistlebottom 05-09-13 10:53 AM

Joyce is quite a character!

I agree with DB: the bicep/hammer curls can be done standing, the chest presses and flys (I wanna write "flies") lying on a bench or mat. Looks like the ball just adds a new slant to the workout and adds a little lower body work via stability and balance.

I have this one but haven't done it yet--now you've got me interesting in trying it! :)

glowacki 05-09-13 11:36 AM

I had this workout and got rid of it. You're not missing much, especially if you have 12 other JV DVDs.

ETA: I do love Joyce's moxie.

Sissy B 05-09-13 11:54 AM

Joyce definitely has moxie!

Every time I've ever emailed her for advice, no matter what the question, her answer has been to buy more of her workouts - even when it didn't actually answer the question that I was asking. :p

~Sissy B

Mandy 05-09-13 02:16 PM

The lower body part of On the Ball does use the ball for 2 inner thigh squeezes. So can you find something that you can squeeze in between your knees like a pillow or yoga block? I use a bender ball sometimes. And she does 2 exercises standing using the ball and I can't explain the move. I don't do the exercises since it looks like it would be hard on the knees(bending into the ball and bouncing the knees into the ball). So I do squat and plié squat.

I usually don't do the On the Ball upper body since the only shoulder work is a rear fly. You can do the upper body without the ball. But it would be kind of nice to have one since the workout does use the ball a lot. She does lean over the ball do do rear delts and biceps. And she lays on the ball for chest and tricep work.

I must say that the lower body is no dread for me but its one of Joyce's easier workouts. Like there are only 2 ab exercises and 2 butt exercises(although you do it for 3 sets of 15 reps). I like to mix On the ball lower body with Quick Quartet lower body. I do QQ first and then finish with On the ball.
Also, OTB has Joyce/Marthe bloopers which have a lot of "bleeps" because of swearing. It shows Marthe and Joyce argueing too. Its not worth the price of buying the dvd though.

imhere2dance 05-09-13 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mandy (Post 2227561)
Also, OTB has Joyce/Marthe bloopers which have a lot of "bleeps" because of swearing. It shows Marthe and Joyce argueing too. Its not worth the price of buying the dvd though.

Thanks. Joyce has a 3½ minute Bloopers video on YouTube. :) I don't know if the DVD version is longer, but I definitely wouldn't buy a copy just to watch it. LOL

Mandy 05-09-13 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by imhere2dance (Post 2227579)
Thanks. Joyce has a 3½ minute Bloopers video on YouTube. :) I don't know if the DVD version is longer, but I definitely wouldn't buy a copy just to watch it. LOL

Yep, that's it. The other video from Joyce shows the standing leg exercises from On the Ball. See why it was hard to explain?lol I didn't know about the youtube channel...thanks!:D

Annie S. 05-09-13 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by imhere2dance (Post 2227579)

I enjoyed that -- thanks!

MomOf2Gremlins 07-28-14 11:04 AM

Any more opinions/reviews on this one?

I've recently started to get all of JV's dvds and this one is still missing in my collection (along with her Slow Duet). I have a ball and am intrigued to get this..(because I'm a vidiot! :p ) but at the same time I really wonder if I'd 'need' it, considering I'll have all her other ones (well.. except the Cougar one.. Don't care for that LOL).