Video Fitness Forum

Video Fitness Forum (http://forum.videofitness.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://forum.videofitness.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Off-Topic Winter reading 2019-2020 (http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=227369)

difit 12-01-19 07:23 PM

Winter reading 2019-2020

Here are a few new releases for December. Happy reading!!

3rd
Puddin' on the Blitz (Pennsylvania Dutch Mysteries with Recipes, book 21) - Tamar Myers
Stay - Catherine Ryan Hyde
Brewed Awakening (Coffeehouse, book 18) - Cleo Coyle
Now You See Them (Stephens and Mephisto Mystery, book 5) - Elly Griffths

10th
Down the Darkest Road (Cady Maddix Mystery, book 2) - Kylie Brant

17th
A Christmas Gift - Sue Moorcroft
Fatal Accusation (Fatal, book 15) - Marie Force
The Best of Us (Sullivan's Crossing, book 4) - Robyn Carr

24th
Trouble After Dark (Gansett Island, book 21) - Marie Force
Snowdrops on Rosemary Lane (Rosemary Lane, book 3) - Ellen Berry

31st
Good Girls Lie - J T Ellison
Time for Love - Debbie Macomber
The Way Back to You (Blessings, Georgia, book 9) - Sharon Sala

BunnyHop 12-02-19 01:20 PM

Hi everyone!

Just thought I'd mention that I'm enjoying the Elizabeth Goudge book I bought for cheap. Cathedral Trilogy. It's a one-volume paperback of City of Bells, Towers in the Mist and The Dean's Watch.

It seems to be a gentle sort of tale. Maybe it's just an older style? In any case, I really like it, and it's just what I need to read at bedtime. Set in an English city. Very atmospheric and scenic.

City of Bells starts out with somebody gone missing, and since the only other book of hers I've read was a murder mystery, some part of my brain thought I was headed into a mystery novel, but so far this is much more about the characters. I only read a bit at night, so it's been slow going, and I still haven't found out whether or not something bad happened to the person who went missing. I think I'd enjoy it a tiny bit more if my own brain would shut up and just let me enjoy the story as written. :)

Gams 12-02-19 04:17 PM

I’m trying to read The Giver of Stars by Jojo Moyes, but I don’t care for the way she writes. I got Elizabeth Berg’s The Confession Club and Christopher McDougall’s Running with Sherman, so hope I like those better.

sherry7899 12-02-19 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gams (Post 2849790)
I’m trying to read The Giver of Stars by Jojo Moyes, but I don’t care for the way she writes. I got Elizabeth Berg’s The Confession Club and Christopher McDougall’s Running with Sherman, so hope I like those better.

I like some of Jojo Moyes' books more than others. I asked my library to order The Confession Club and hope they get it in soon.

I am reading "The Upside of Falling Down" which is about an American woman who is the only survivor of a plane crash in a small town in Ireland. She has lost her memory and is trying to figure out who she is in the aftermath of the crash. I am enjoying it so far.

Sherry

Laura S. 12-03-19 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sherry7899 (Post 2849806)
I like some of Jojo Moyes' books more than others. I asked my library to order The Confession Club and hope they get it in soon.

I am reading "The Upside of Falling Down" which is about an American woman who is the only survivor of a plane crash in a small town in Ireland. She has lost her memory and is trying to figure out who she is in the aftermath of the crash. I am enjoying it so far.

Sherry

Yeah, her books are hit or miss for me. Some I love. Some I hate. Some are somewhere in between.

Sherry - I read the Kindle sample for that book, realized it was around $2 for the Kindle edition, and bought it. I was surprised to see it categorized as a YA (Young Adult) book. I look forward to reading it.

sherry7899 12-03-19 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laura S. (Post 2849999)
Yeah, her books are hit or miss for me. Some I love. Some I hate. Some are somewhere in between.

Sherry - I read the Kindle sample for that book, realized it was around $2 for the Kindle edition, and bought it. I was surprised to see it categorized as a YA (Young Adult) book. I look forward to reading it.

Wow, that is weird that it was categorized as a Young Adult book. I just finished it and enjoyed it very much. I will have to look for more by the author.

My library just got in "The Confession Club" by Elizabeth Berg, so I will pick it up tomorrow.

Gams 12-03-19 09:09 PM

I’ve read a little more than 50 pages of The Confession Club and I’m not feeling the love, do not sure I will finish it.

sherry7899 12-03-19 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gams (Post 2850034)
I’ve read a little more than 50 pages of The Confession Club and I’m not feeling the love, do not sure I will finish it.

I know how much you love her books. I am sorry you are not enjoying it. I will let you know what I think.

Laura S. 12-04-19 06:59 PM

I'm reading The Night Fire, the new Bosch and Ballard book by Michael Connolley. I'm pretty much inhaling it.

gabsbd 12-04-19 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BunnyHop (Post 2849762)
Hi everyone!

Just thought I'd mention that I'm enjoying the Elizabeth Goudge book I bought for cheap. Cathedral Trilogy. It's a one-volume paperback of City of Bells, Towers in the Mist and The Dean's Watch.

It seems to be a gentle sort of tale. Maybe it's just an older style? In any case, I really like it, and it's just what I need to read at bedtime. Set in an English city. Very atmospheric and scenic.

City of Bells starts out with somebody gone missing, and since the only other book of hers I've read was a murder mystery, some part of my brain thought I was headed into a mystery novel, but so far this is much more about the characters. I only read a bit at night, so it's been slow going, and I still haven't found out whether or not something bad happened to the person who went missing. I think I'd enjoy it a tiny bit more if my own brain would shut up and just let me enjoy the story as written. :)

Oh my god - I’m just about to start The Dean’s Watch. I’d never heard of this author until the book showed up in my book club list. I’m very pleased with the choice, based on your description. I could do with “gentle” and “English” right about now. :-)