Video Fitness Forum

Video Fitness Forum (http://forum.videofitness.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://forum.videofitness.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   How do you come up with your workout rotation? (http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=217254)

Ricka 09-13-16 07:30 AM

How do you come up with your workout rotation?

Hi everyone. :)

If you enjoy coming up with your rotation, or designing rotations for someone else, can I ask your strategy on coming up with rotations?

For example, you might prefer to do upper body - cardio - lower body - cardio - rest -repeat.

Or maybe you like to do slow/heavy - yoga - quick twitch - cardio - rest - repeat

and so on. I understand you might use different strategy for people with different goals.

What concept do you like to use to come up with your rotation? :)

edensmom 09-13-16 07:54 AM

I usually do upper/lower/cardio repeat. Or total body/cardio/upper/lower/cardio. So long as all themuscle groups get worked each week. But lately I am enjoying follwing preplanned rotations since I am an early morning exerciser. No thinking. I have been doing Cathe's all summer and just started the 4 week fitnessblender Booty Bootcamp. Since it's just 3 days a week, I have flexibility with the other 2 to 3 days I workout. That is nice because I tend to bail on rotations if I feel too boxed in.

Tugger31 09-13-16 07:58 AM

I work long hours on my feet and sometimes nights so change my rotation each week based on my work schedule. I will generally do upper body and abs on a day I know my legs will be too fatigued from standing. I wish it weren't so!

alisoncooks 09-13-16 08:03 AM

I find that I stick best with something uncomplicated:
total body
rest
total body
rest
total body
rest

:D
Sometimes I do cardio or stretchy yoga on the "rest" days...but nothing strenuous. I'm talking, like, a easy walk with the kids or something like that.

Sometimes I've done:
lower body
upper body
rest
lower body
upper body
rest

desie 09-13-16 10:45 AM

It helps to have a very specific goal. Then on days when you're not sure you want to workout, you can still do it because you want to reach the goal. Right now I want better cardio capacity and better jumping ability. Those things started to slip over the summer when I was busy doing more leisurely activities with the kids.

Honeydew 09-13-16 12:52 PM

This is what usually works for me:

Day 1 Total Body

Day 2 Classical Stretch or Essentrics

Day 3 Upper/Core

Day 4 Classical Stretch or Essentrics

Day 5 Lower/Core

I add in cardio whenever I feel up to it.

athompson10 09-13-16 01:50 PM

How Desie approaches it is what works for me. I decide what I'm trying to achieve, then look here at VF, at instructors' websites or elsewhere online to get workout ideas. Rotations work best for me if (1) I have a specific goal in mind (fat loss, lower body, strength), and (2) an approximate end date to shoot for.

bubbles76 09-13-16 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by athompson10 (Post 2662840)
How Desie approaches it is what works for me. I decide what I'm trying to achieve, then look here at VF, at instructors' websites or elsewhere online to get workout ideas. Rotations work best for me if (1) I have a specific goal in mind (fat loss, lower body, strength), and (2) an approximate end date to shoot for.

Yes this.

Ricka 09-13-16 07:49 PM

I enjoy reading your answers. Thanks so much, everyone. :)

dbclark44 09-14-16 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Honeydew (Post 2662831)
This is what usually works for me:

Day 1 Total Body

Day 2 Classical Stretch or Essentrics

Day 3 Upper/Core

Day 4 Classical Stretch or Essentrics

Day 5 Lower/Core

I add in cardio whenever I feel up to it.

Honeydew, I like what you have going on here and while I do something similar, I'm not very organized with getting it all in. So I adopted your scheme and modified it. I also work out 6 days a week. I do cardio every day, be it walking outdoors or on the treadmill, elliptical, or bike. So here's what I came up with based off your rotation. Thanks for sharing yours, it helped me out a lot.

Day 1 - Cardio/Stretch/Core
Day 2 - Cardio/Upper Body
Day 3 - Cardio/Stretch/Core
Day 4 - Cardio/Lower Body
Day 5 - Cardio/Stretch/Core
Day 6 - Cardio/Total Body