Video Fitness Forum

Video Fitness Forum (http://forum.videofitness.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://forum.videofitness.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Buyers of Skechers "toning" shoes may be eligible for refund per FTC (http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=180497)

Sue B 05-16-12 11:33 AM

Buyers of Skechers "toning" shoes may be eligible for refund per FTC

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/cases/skechers/index.shtm

This affects buyers of Shape-Ups, Resistance Runners, Toners, and Tone-Ups.

toaster 05-16-12 11:49 AM

Wow, that is something! I just signed up since I bought Sketchers Toners last year. Personally, I never believed in the weight loss claims; I just thought that they would be comfortable (they are) and maybe help with back pain (not sure about that, but I don't wear them for walking, just exercise). I almost feel guilty apply for a refund! :o

Sarah-lara 05-16-12 11:52 AM

Did anybody ever get the Reebok refund?

eyefit 05-16-12 12:04 PM

Thank you for posting that! I really appreciate it. I have 3 pairs (shape-ups, the runner pair and the accelerator pair I believe it's called) in my closet. I never wear them because I feel like they bother my ankles. I thought they were comfortable at first but now whenever I try to wear them they feel very heavy on my feet and my knees go out of alignment easily.

roz 05-16-12 12:09 PM

Does that mean sitting at on an exercise ball at your desk does not give you a six pack too?

Sue B 05-16-12 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toaster (Post 2034767)
Wow, that is something! I just signed up since I bought Sketchers Toners last year. Personally, I never believed in the weight loss claims; I just thought that they would be comfortable (they are) and maybe help with back pain (not sure about that, but I don't wear them for walking, just exercise). I almost feel guilty apply for a refund! :o

I wouldn't! When they had the Baby Einstein settlement a few years ago, I packed up the CDs and DVDs that my kids had enjoyed but outgrown, sent them in and got a $60 check in the mail :D I never for a minute thought they were anything more than entertainment.

Artist of Eyes 05-16-12 01:10 PM

I have several pairs of those including the reeboks as they make great city-walking shoes when we travel. I however, will not submit my info for a refund, I feel that's a bit much. I bought them knowing full well that they wouldn't do anything for my figure. Even if I had bought into the claims, I feel it's cheating the system to take advantage of something like that especially when most of us use these items regardless if it claims to give you a better "X".

Crazy. It's like getting something for nothing especially after using them. I completely do not understand that.

But they are comfy shoes!

Artist of Eyes 05-16-12 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roz (Post 2034780)
Does that mean sitting at on an exercise ball at your desk does not give you a six pack too?

GASP! Perhaps we should ban together, file a class action lawsuit, and get refunds on our exercise balls regardless if we use them or not!

edensmom 05-16-12 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Artist of Eyes (Post 2034808)
I have several pairs of those including the reeboks as they make great city-walking shoes when we travel. I however, will not submit my info for a refund, I feel that's a bit much. I bought them knowing full well that they wouldn't do anything for my figure. Even if I had bought into the claims, I feel it's cheating the system to take advantage of something like that especially when most of us use these items regardless if it claims to give you a better "X".

Crazy. It's like getting something for nothing especially after using them. I completely do not understand that.

But they are comfy shoes!

I agree with what you're saying here. I had the Shape Ups and I used them a lot for walking and at work, and I have no need for a refund.
However I think these kind of settlements could serve as a warning to other companies not to make outrageous claims. Because apparently some people will believe them!

Sarah-lara 05-16-12 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Artist of Eyes (Post 2034808)

I respect that 100%, but I feel that if a company falsifies research (and lies about it being independently done) and then bases its whole ad campaign around that, then it deserves some heat. Otherwise one day there will be a claim you WILL fall for.

With the Reebok settlement-- and I assume this one-- the dollar figure was determined and then individuals who apply get a cut from that so it's not like filing makes a difference to Reebok or Sketchers one way or the other, just to the other buyers.