Video Fitness Forum

Video Fitness Forum (http://forum.videofitness.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://forum.videofitness.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Help with Chronic Fatigue and workouts (http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=213577)

Footballnut 12-17-15 10:20 AM

Help with Chronic Fatigue and workouts

I was just diagnosed by my doctor yesterday with chronic fatigue syndrome. I would love to get some feedback on workout recommendations. I know Classical Stretch will be good and I have a good bit of it, but what else do you all do? I suspect barre might be pushing it for me right now. I have some barre, but have been just too tired to try to tackle any of it. Maybe it wouldn't be as difficult to do as I think it would. Just don't know.

BunnyHop 12-17-15 10:29 AM

Have you thought of MELT Method? It's very gentle.

I mostly use the hand and foot work, but the soft foam roller feels fabulous.

JackieB 12-17-15 10:45 AM

Classical Stretch is great. That is my main workout along with outdoor walking (for sunlight and light cardio). I also do a little of Lee Holden's Qi Gong workouts and Ellen Barrett. I might start adding back in some yoga.

bubbles76 12-17-15 10:50 AM

Footballnut, just wanted to say sorry for your diagnosis, but glad that you were able to get to the bottom of your fatigue. Also encouraging that you are still looking for methods of working out.

horsemom2 12-17-15 01:16 PM

What I do everyday is bounce on a bungee then while sitting on a large stability ball to routines with bouncy moves and pumping music. This has enabled me to sweat and get my heartrate up without exhausting me or aggravating any joints.

I can easily tweak or edit most walking, dance, and athletic cardio routines to make them bounce friendly.

ETA: here is an example of one starting on a ball
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Gs_...4kDRzZQh1YWd7w

Barb S

marya 12-17-15 04:32 PM

For strength training, I'd recommend Christine Dormaier's Strong Bones Yoga. She does gentle vinayoga moves interspersed with breath-integrated lifting (hand weights). The three 20-minute practices can be done on separate days or in one session. I've done the workout both ways, and I always feel positively toned and strengthened but never worn-out.

yogapam 12-17-15 04:49 PM

I would also recommend Essentrics & Ellen Barrett along with Jessica Smith, Barre3, gentle hatha & restorative yoga, and swimming if you have access to a pool.

yogapam 12-17-15 05:03 PM

PowerFit and PowerFit Harmony might work for you too. They are fun, accessible 20 minute workouts. Both sets are very reasonably priced on Amazon and some of the workouts are available for free on YouTube.

RachelW 12-17-15 06:19 PM

Interesting that you posted this. I just found out today that I have chronic mono. I am 39 and was first diagnosed at 16. I was very ill and ended up missing three years of high school. My diagnosis at the time ended up being chronic fatigue. I have had recurrences through the years, but it has been a while. It seems as though in the last few years I can only work out consistently for two weeks and then I can't get out of bed. Same thing happened recently. The last time I worked out I went straight to bed and slept all day. I was doing Ultimate Yogi. I think I'm going to switch to short gentle yoga sessions. Even 10-20 minutes is better than nothing. It just might be what my body needs. I hope you find something that works for you and feel better soon. It's a crummy thing to deal with. People have a hard time wrapping their heads around why someone that looks well is in fact very ill.

Bluebelle 12-17-15 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yogapam (Post 2591233)
PowerFit and PowerFit Harmony might work for you too. They are fun, accessible 20 minute workouts. Both sets are very reasonably priced on Amazon and some of the workouts are available for free on YouTube.

I agree the Powerfits are wonderful workouts. I won't get rid of mine. They are gentle workouts but you do feel worked out.