Video Fitness Forum

Video Fitness Forum (http://forum.videofitness.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://forum.videofitness.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Trying Something New (http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=216283)

bubbles76 06-21-16 04:17 PM

Trying Something New

So I'm in a rut and sliding to an uncomfortable place, aesthetically :) I was really enjoying my kettlebell kickboxing rotations, until it became painfully obvious that the rotation I was doing was too much for my shoulders. Then work started to become stressful, I lost my air conditioning, started eating poorly, etc. While I was still working out, I wasn't really enjoying it as much as I was when I was doing my kettlebell kickboxing.

In order to escape this rut, I've decided to venture into some place new. I've got two plans on the horizon -- either Fe Fit or Dream Body, which is coming to me shortly. My goals are to lose some vanity pounds, increase my cardio endurance, increase my definition, and get stronger functionally. By stronger functionally, I mean I want to be able to do variations of pushups, maybe get strong enough to do pullups, that kind of thing. While it would be nice to be able to deadlift 100 pounds or more, that's not going to happen with the weights I have available to me. I figure since these are both bodyweight type programs, maybe they will bring me closer to my goals.

Or am I far off? Does someone have any other suggestions? Can anyone tell me their results with either program?

bubbles76 06-22-16 10:34 AM

Bumping :)

Vintage VFer 06-22-16 12:02 PM

I'm crawling out of a rut myself.

Suddenly, and without warning, I got the urge to do Cathe's STS Meso 2. I hadn't done the rotation in I don't know how long. There is something very peaceful about these workouts.

I'm enjoying it because it is so different from what I have been doing. I am modifying the workouts to suit my current needs and a few injuries. I often skip the "To Failure" sets because I'm fried already, so that makes the workouts shorter.

Something new/different is often a good boost to motivation.

gladgirl 06-22-16 12:37 PM

I seemed to be in a rut, too. For me, due to physical limitation...PAIN!
I had to say goodbye to my love...KB's. I told them it is only temporary...but we shall see.
I am doing a C/S, T-Tapp and pilates rotation for the summer with lots of walking. So far, so good. My body is liking it very much and my mind is catching up to this different way of working out!

Yes, sometimes changing it up is totally necessary...for whatever reason, getting out of a rut, injury, etc.
Happy you found your rut-busting workout so quickly.

Sassy 06-22-16 04:20 PM

I'm crawling out of a rut, too - but I prefer to think of it as putting the wheels back on my trolley. I wasn't just in a rut, I was scattered all over the road!

I have, in the last two days, gotten the crazy idea in my head that I should train to walk a half marathon. I even have three possibilities all picked out. Only one of them is likely to be a possibility in 2017, partially because the registrations start so early. If I've really improved by October, I might to register for a local one that will be next June, but it's got a pretty short cut off time for the half (amounts to needing to maintain a 14-minute mile or better)

In the meantime, I'm playing with designing a training plan, and setting my sights on 3+ 5K events this fall. One will the Halloween Hustle that I did last year and somewhat humbled me. I found out I have endurance, but not a hell of a lot of speed and wound up placing 90 out of 94. I plan to kick it's ass this year.

Sassy 06-22-16 04:23 PM

Has anyone walked a half marathon (or whole?)

.. Stupid double post mistake

BunnyHop 06-22-16 04:25 PM

Not in a rut, exactly, but the last few days I've done a bunch of KB swings and can really tell they've done me some good. My muscles feel worked, without feeling overworked. :sun:

lesia 06-22-16 05:32 PM

I'm in a rut after being sick with a long lasting respiratory infection. This is not like me at all...I feel fine, just blah about fitness right now. For so much of my life, I've always worked out and it's brought me joy. Right now I just look at my dvd shelf and my multiple workout dvds and shrug.

I know it will be there for me when I'm ready again, but remodeling/redecorating my house has brought me a lot of joy the last 3 weeks.

I may pull out BJ Gaddour's MetaShred. He makes me laugh and the program is just 3 days a week.

Lesia

Tugger31 06-22-16 05:51 PM

I don't have Fe Fit, but I have the Dream Body Cardio series set. This one moves really fast, so if this is the one you have be prepared to go at your own pace and allow some time for a learning curve. I didn't stick with it long b/c I couldn't take the pace or the constant, frenzied chatter.

For pushups, I have done this challenge before, if you need something more pre-planned.

http://hundredpushups.com/test.html

I'm currently training to run a faster 5K, though I'm not signed up for a 5K anytime soon. I am however enjoying the online training program I found. I am also loosely following along with the Bikini Body Guide 2 program. I'm really liking it. It incorporates alot of body weight exercises and even the Ab Circuit workouts have a cardio effect. This program is by far one of the most enjoyable ones I've done recently, maybe b/c it's a paper workout where you go at your own pace and I usually do dvds. I'm seeing some nice arm definition from these workouts and my core is looking strong. I'm mixing the Leg day with my running and with more focused glute days from the Butt Bible and Zuzka's online Glute workouts.

bubbles76 06-22-16 05:56 PM

VVFer, I'm so glad to hear you say you are doing something different and enjoying it. What were you doing before? I'm another that will skip the "failure sets". I'm like, if I seriously go "to failure" then I probably won't be able to do another set :)

Gladgirl, I'm sure that the pain will be temporary. I never thought I'd do step or high impact again because of previous injuries, but I can. Just have to keep it more careful, that's all.

Sassy soooo glad to hear you are walking a half marathon! I honestly didn't know you could walk them. I thought you either had to run or walk/run. I cannot run, but maybe I could sign up for something like that. Not a marathon, but certainly a 5K or 10K.

Bunnyhop, I haven't done kettlebell workout exactly, but I did pull out KCM Strength and Stamina. It was fun, but it wasn't as fun as KBKB :) Lesia, I also had a long upper respiratory infection two weeks ago. I think it was two weeks. It lasted three weeks ugh! I feel your pain. The malaise afterwards is terrible.

I think this rut is because of the heat! I HATE the heat. Most people feel this way in the winter time, but I have started to feel it more and more when it starts to heat up. And being without my air didn't help at all. I think I will finish this week out just doing what I feel, and then start fresh with Dream Body. Or Fe Fit. Still can't decide. Anybody have any opinions or results with these sets?