Video Fitness Forum

Video Fitness Forum (http://forum.videofitness.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://forum.videofitness.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   OT - Mail order food gifts (http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=229679)

Gams 10-23-20 02:31 PM

OT - Mail order food gifts

There are several people on my Christmas list that I usually order a food gift for. I’ve had success with Aunt Ruby’s peanuts, the Popcorn Factory, O & H Bakery and, of course, Honeybaked Hams and Hickory Farms. I was just wondering, though, if there are some great places that I have never heard of. The kind of food doesn’t matter - just looking for some new places with good products. Any recommendations? Thanks!

laurajhawk 10-23-20 02:53 PM

I like Harry & David for fruit. They have other stuff too.

FitBoop 10-23-20 03:06 PM

I like Godiva.

bubbles76 10-23-20 03:09 PM

I think I used Harry and David years ago for fruit. It was very good. Although tea is not technically a food, I have also had success with Sips By and Perfekt Perk.

Erica H. 10-23-20 03:21 PM

We've ordered from Golden State Fruit many times and were happy with their products and service.

Erica

sherry7899 10-23-20 03:25 PM

I have not ordered from them, but a friend really liked "nuts.com"

If anyone you are buying for likes to bake, King Arthur has a great selection and wonderful customer service.

adawn 10-23-20 04:24 PM

The past few years we prefer The Fruit Company to Harry & David. You can get some good deals around the holidays on the Fruit Company packages on Costco.com. We used to do Harry & David for years and years but the quality seemed to decline.

A new one we splurged on last year for ourselves (we always "test" on ourselves first) and my aunt & uncle was Recchiuti chocolates burgundy box + a separate box of their Fleur de Sel Caramels. The burgundy box is a delicious chocolate journey. Even the "weird" chocolates in the box tasted good. We tested by getting their burgundy box shipped to us and discovered that the fleur de sel caramels were a standout, which is why we couldn't resist sending a separate box of the fleur de sel's in addition to the burgundy box to my aunt and uncle. They offer decent coupon codes but kind of pricey even with the coupon codes. I thought it was worth it though.

We heard about them from Wirecutter but the Recchiuti gift box Wirecutter recommended looked like a less "fun" variety than the burgundy box.

Speaking of, I don't recommend one of Wirecutter other pick's last year: Jasper Hill's The Vermonter (cheese & cracker stuff). Thankfully we tested it ourselves first before having one shipped to the family we had in mind. It wasn't awful, but it wasn't a hit with us and wasn't a great value either IMO. I ended up knitting ornaments for them instead.

BunnyHop 10-23-20 08:51 PM

Maybe it depends on who you're shopping for, but if their favorite school has a store, take a look. I mention it because the Agricultural and Forestry Extension Service at MS State U. has a shop where they sell all kinds of things. When I was a teen, their Edam was all the rage.

Maybe there' something similar in your region that would please the recipients?

wendug 10-23-20 09:16 PM

Just wanted to chime in to say that nuts.com is awesome. I received a gift of a variety of items from them that were delicious. I've started ordering from them, too.

I've given Penzeys spices gifts for the cooks/bakers in my life as their spices are high quality.

Also want to mention that many sellers on Etsy sell food gifts. I sent my mom some Eastern European baked goods from a seller in NY (can't remember the shop name!) for mother's day and she loved the gift. Just check the reviews! I find that the smaller businesses that sell on Etsy give a more personal touch.

Sissy B 10-23-20 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BunnyHop (Post 2895244)
Maybe it depends on who you're shopping for, but if their favorite school has a store, take a look. I mention it because the Agricultural and Forestry Extension Service at MS State U. has a shop where they sell all kinds of things. When I was a teen, their Edam was all the rage.

Maybe there' something similar in your region that would please the recipients?

It’s not included in either of their gift packs, but we love their Jalapeño Cheese (the actual block of cheese, we weren’t as impressed with the cheese spread).