Video Fitness Forum

Video Fitness Forum (http://forum.videofitness.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://forum.videofitness.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Question about suspension trainers (http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=167976)

MrCrispy 07-06-11 07:52 PM

Question about suspension trainers

There are many of these products (TRX, Rip60, Jugle Gym) etc, and I've noticed that while they all claim you just need a door, in their videos you see a large open space and its mounted on the ceiling for maximum range of motion. I just don't see how you can do those exercises with a door, there isn't enough horizontal or vertical clearance.

I live in a apt with not much free space around doors, so the only option would be to make a ceiling mount, right? I don't have drill/ladder etc so not sure how well this would work out.

mghorton 07-06-11 08:16 PM

Good question. I've wondered that myself.

My sister actually got me a TRX for Christmas, and I am ashamed to admit I haven't set it up yet. I would love to hear the answer to this question, as ideally, I'd like to use it in a hotel room while traveling.

For some reason I find it much more intimidating than weights or machines. Part of that is fear of setting it up incorrectly and having it collapse.

macska 07-06-11 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrCrispy (Post 1844780)
There are many of these products (TRX, Rip60, Jugle Gym) etc, and I've noticed that while they all claim you just need a door, in their videos you see a large open space and its mounted on the ceiling for maximum range of motion. I just don't see how you can do those exercises with a door, there isn't enough horizontal or vertical clearance.

I live in a apt with not much free space around doors, so the only option would be to make a ceiling mount, right? I don't have drill/ladder etc so not sure how well this would work out.

I use my TRX to travel with me. The door is sufficient when travel, but at home I use the beams in the basement.

horusosiris 07-06-11 08:44 PM

At home, I use my TRX with a ceiling mount. Before I mounted it on the ceiling, I used a door without any problems.

Kyra 07-07-11 05:55 AM

I've used it on a door, but I prefer to use it from an overhead mount. You do get a lot more freedom of movement that way. I would wonder about mounting it overhead in an apartment; you'd have to find the beams and also be relatively unafraid of damaging any ceiling materials during the mounting process. Is there a park or a playground nearby where you might take it?

Jane P. 07-07-11 06:54 AM

A good mount is the key to successful use of these trainers. I used my front door (which is the heaviest door in my house) and ended up having to replace the hinges and the tongue mechanism that goes into the wall. I used the thing every day and the it was too much for the door to support. Be really careful about using a door unless you have really heavy doors with big hinges and door mechanisms in good condition.

horusosiris 07-07-11 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kyra (Post 1844961)
I've used it on a door, but I prefer to use it from an overhead mount. You do get a lot more freedom of movement that way.

I agree that the ceiling mount is so much better! I actually enjoyed my TRX more with the ceiling mount.