Video Fitness Forum

Video Fitness Forum (http://forum.videofitness.com/index.php)
-   Challenges and Check-ins (http://forum.videofitness.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Jessica Smith and Friends 2020 (http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=227592)

Leonana 07-13-20 09:31 PM

I'm doing the strength workouts from the last week of SOS, that I missed last week. Today was Strictly Strength from the Get Strong dvd. I used my 5, 6 and 8 pounds.

I just realized why I can use one 10 pound weight overhead for overhead tricep moves, holding it with both hands. It's the same weight as two 5 pounds, when I do overhead moves with both arms. Duh!

Donna, good luck at the office. I wore a mask for a couple of hours while visiting my sister, and I don't know how people do it all day. My dd wears one for her 6 hour shifts at Starbucks.

wishiwasinhawaii, my maskne isn't too bad either, thankfully. I'm glad your nephew is still feeling okay. I like the Thompson Tee masks better than the disposable ones, they feel cooler to me.

donnamp 07-14-20 07:21 AM

Hi Everyone,

Back at it today with Ellen:

Fat Burning Fusion

and

Yoga w/ Kassandra 30 Day Challenge Day 3

Yesterday I did a Mile w/ Leslie - one of the Walk 15's and then DD wanted to go for a walk in the evening - it was getting dark but we probably did 30 min.

Nice workouts, everyone!

We had a meeting at work yesterday and although no one seems very forthcoming w/ details, it sounds like those of us who can telework will continue to do so for the foreseeable future.

Schools are trying to figure out what to do - but I half hope they just stay closed and do on-line learning. The plan they are talking about - splitting the school into two groups and having them go to school on different days still means a lot of kids are crowded into one place every day. The HS my DD goes to has close to 2,000 kids, so if you split it in half you have 1,000 kids there, plus teachers. How are they going to handle things like changing classes - how can you socially distance that? I feel for the people w/ younger kids and who are not able to work from home. How will this work for them? I'm not overly eager to have my DD back in school b/c I'm worried about her getting it - every other month she'd come home w/ something from school....

wishiwasinhawaii - hope your nephew is still feeling well.

Waves, everyone -

Donna

wishiwasinhawaii 07-14-20 11:30 AM

Today is a rest day so I just walked around inside the house and then walked outside since it's cooler today. I plan to do a Jessica walk later.

My nephew is doing ok. He got the test result back and it was negative, which was great news, but then he found out another kid he knows has tested positive, so he has to go back and be tested again tomorrow. I guess this is how life it going to be for the foreseeable future.

Donna, I agree schools should stay closed. I don't see the point of having the kids go at different times. Maybe that would work in a small school, but like you said, even if half the kids at a large school are there, that's still a lot of kids! The HS my niece goes to is the same size as your DD's.

The CEO is making the announcement later about what's happening with returning to the office so I will post again later. I can't imagine they'll expect us to go back with how uncertain everything is, but we'll see.

Sherry, I got an email from the Gap and they are selling masks that look really cute, so I'm going to order a few. Might as well expand my mask collection since it seems we'll be wearing these for a long time.

Have a good day! More later...

Leonana 07-14-20 11:42 PM

Today was some walking. I usually feel tired after Monday's strength workout, so take it easy.

Donna, I'm glad it sounds like you can telework. The school situation sounds like a tough one. No easy answers it seems.

wishiwasinhawaii, that's great news about your nephew, at least for the first test. It does sound like the new normal. The Gap has masks? I will have to check them out! It does seem to be a new fashion statement.

wishiwasinhawaii 07-15-20 08:27 AM

Today was a cardio workout from 22 Minute Hard Corps. I also woke up way too early today and I couldn't fall back to sleep, so I did my grocery shopping. Glad I got that done.

The CEO said our office is reopening in about a month. Return is voluntary though at this point so I am not going back. I was kind of surprised about reopening, but as long as it's voluntary, I'm happy to stay home! I guess we're going to reopen in phases and I don't know when the next phase will be, but I'm going to stay home as long as I can. I just don't see any reason to sit in a germy office when I can stay home and not be exposed.

Sherry, I plan to go to the Gap maybe tomorrow to check out the masks. They look cute online, but I want to see them in person.

Waves, Donna!

donnamp 07-15-20 05:49 PM

Hi,

I had a busy day today so didn't get a chance to post my workouts:

This morning:

Ellen - Yoga Tone
Pilates & Yoga w/ Katja (You Tube) Day # 2 of the 7 Day Challenge

After work:

30 min TM walk listening to Pahla B. talk about emotional eating

I went in the office today to get my new lap top. The place was a ghost town. Which is good.

They are having a meeting about schools re-opening today and I just completed an on-line survey about it. As much as I see the problems w/ keeping the kids home from school I just can't see sending them in - not w/ the current situation. Even if half the population of my DD's HS goes in that is close to 1,000 kids. That is just asking for trouble in my opinion. Maybe some smaller school systems or some small private schools can pull it off, but these public schools here are over max capacity as it is.

Ok - rant over.

I will say, I don't know how people can wear masks all day - I had one on today for about 2 hours and it gave me a headache. Which is another consideration for schools and also returning to work in the office. If i can be home and not have to wear a mask why go in.

Ok...second rant over. LOL!

Hope everyone has a good evening.

Donna

donnamp 07-16-20 07:42 AM

Hi Everyone,

Today, so far, has been:

Pahla B. - Full Body Low Impact Cardio & Dumbbell Strength
Pahla B - 10 Min Standing stretch

It was a day off on Ellen's weekly rotation, and I frittered away a lot of time trying to figure out what to do. I wasn't in the mood for "walking" since I have managed to do a lot of that this week! So I was looking around You Tube. I almost went w/ a Barlates workout, b/c believe it or not, I have never tried one. But all of the ones I looked at felt so fussy w/ a lot of equipment and some looked awkward to me. So, I went with Pahla who is not fussy and quite simple.

I hope to walk again later today.

Going in to the office was weird, hardly anyone was there, and it was almost like visiting the land that time forgot or something - my office hadn't been touched in 4 months! It was surreal. I also realized how miserable it is going to be to wear a mask for 8 hours a day - I had one on for 2 hours and I had a headache at the end of it. I know why it needs to be worn and I have full intention of complying, but I do hope we don't have to go back in any time soon. I'd rather work at home sans mask.

Hope everyone has a good day!!

Donna

Leonana 07-16-20 10:18 AM

Yesterday was 30-Minute Strength Interval Walk from Walk On: 30 Day Plan dvd. I used 3, 5, 6, and one 10 pound weight. I had all my weights out and it was fun to switch around. I now have 3, 4, 5, 6, 8 and 10 pounds, and would like to get 7 and 15's.

I will update later with today's workout, which will be cardio. I would like to go bike riding, but it was 85/109 yesterdays. So hard to get up at 5:00, plus my cats demand to be fed first, lol.

wishiwasinhawaii, let me know how you like the gap masks. I'm glad you are able to work from home, that's great.

Donna, I wore a mask for two hours when I visited my sister last month. I don't know how people do it either. My daughter wears one for 4-6 hours at Starbucks. She says people will pull them down to speak, when they are having a hard time hearing them. And people will also lean around the plexiglass to talk to them. [face palm] I don't think they mean to do it maliciously, they just don't think.

wishiwasinhawaii 07-16-20 11:28 AM

Today was a resistance workout on the 22 MHC schedule. I've been using 10 and 8 lbs for the most part, which is nice and I feel like I'm making progress. I also walked outside this morning. I might go for another walk after work.

Donna, My co-worker went to the office today to pick up her monitor and some other equipment so she can work from home more comfortably, and they wouldn't even let her in the building. Someone packed up what she needed and put it outside on a table for her to pick up. I was hoping she could go inside because I was going to ask her to take a photo of my desk, LOL. I'm curious how many packages the mail room has dumped there. :eek: I can imagine it must have been creepy being in your office.

Re: masks at work, my company said yesterday those that go back to the office have to wear masks when they walk around the building, but can take them off at their desks! I don't understand that at all, but it makes me want to stay home even more. They actually have clarified a few things and said no one is going to be pressured to return and they don't expect things to return to 'normal' until maybe early next year, so I'm planning to stay home for the duration. I left some items in my desk that would be nice to have and back when this started I never thought it would go on this long, so I might look into picking them up.

Sherry, I'm swamped with work today so I'm going to try to get to the Gap tomorrow. I'll let you know! My nephew works in a convenience store and has some crazy mask stories also. I told him when you deal with the public, you have to be ready for anything, LOL.

Leonana 07-16-20 04:19 PM

Today I did the Pyramid Power Walk from Walk On: 30 Day Plan dvd.

wishiwasinhawaii, I can imagine your nephew has some stories to tell!

donnamp 07-17-20 07:57 AM

Hi Everyone,

I have been good this week about getting in walks. In part, b/c I have forced myself to and I have been using the TM and listening to Pahla B's run/walk podcasts. I just walk at a very moderate pace on the TM - it is more for activity than exercise to combat all the sitting I do. Also, my DD has been "off" work this week - she is taking an on-line art class, so she is not as tired from being outside/dealing w/ horses all day - so we have been going in the evenings just as it is getting dark. My Lab has become very lame, but she is also now a very deep sleeper (she is really aging rapidly these days) so we sneak out w/ our Golden to walk. we were living our Golden home w/ the Lab, but she was getting upset about it...it is funny b/c normally my Golden prefers to stay home, but I guess seeing us go out for a walk makes her want to come along.

Anyway - long ramble as a way of saying I added on a 25 min TM walk and an outdoor walk yesterday.

Today I had an 8:00 call, so I had to be quick about workouts:

Ellen/Natalie S - Powerful Presence. This is a sweaty one for me - a lot of balance challenges, too.

If time permits I'll squeeze something else in.

wishiwasinhawaii - unless you had an office w/ a door - why would you be able to take your mask off at your desk? And honestly, w/ all the questions about how it could be transmitted through ventilation systems in buildings, I'd probably keep it on even in an office alone w/ a closed door. How is your nephew? Any word about his second test? I can imagine dealing w/ the public! (eye roll). I did bring my large monitor home. Next week I'm supposed to be "off" and one of my projects is going to be making my home office more comfortable. I hope we aren't called back in any time soon. DH had a telemed visit w/ his doctor yesterday and his Dr. thinks it is going to be at least 2 years before things are back to normal. He scheduled next year's visit to be a telemed visit - if that tells you what some Dr's are thinking!

Good job on the workout, Sherry!!

Waves,

Donna

Leonana 07-17-20 10:08 PM

Today I did Pahla's newest strength workout, Strength Workout with Dumbbells for Women Over 50. It was challenging, despite moving slower. I used five pounds with it. It had a lot of shoulder moves in it. I sometimes mute Jessica's workouts, since I'm so familiar with them, and listen to a podcast on my phone. I did the same with Pahla today, and her chatter doesn't bother me now, lol. I also use the CC on you tube, and it works pretty well.

Donna, I'm glad your dd is walking with you. My dd will watch Netflix with me, but no exercise unfortunately. Wow, two years! I guess that's how long it will take to get enough vaccines in production. This is definitely a new normal. I really feel for those who have lost their jobs.

wishiwasinhawaii, I checked out the Gap masks online. Cute patterns and a good price. I think it might gap more on the sides than the Thompson Tee masks, no pun intended! OTH, the Gap masks are three layers of cotton, so more protection. Thompson Tee looks like two layers, and the t-shirt material is a bit thinner than regular cotton material. I really like the Thompson Tee masks though. But I might order some from the Gap, just to check them out.

wishiwasinhawaii 07-18-20 06:16 AM

Today was a resistance workout from 22MHC. I'm on week 3 now and I think I'll just continue with this rotation for now. I'm very busy with work stuff until the second week of August and 22 minutes is all I have time for right now.

Donna, I don't understand my company's mask policy at all. Most of us sit in cubicles so I really can't imagine being in that environment without a mask. Even if the closest person isn't sitting nearby, they say the virus can spread through ventilation systems, so it just doesn't make any sense. My nephew hasn't heard what his test result is yet. That's scary what your DH's doctor said, but the way things are going, it does seem likely that this is going to go on for years, not months. I actually cancelled all my upcoming annual checkups. I was supposed to go to the gyn, but that seemed too risky and I also was supposed to see my PCP, but that seems even worse. Maybe I can go for the blood work and do the actual appointment on telehealth. I'm going to wait a bit and if things don't improve with the virus or it gets worse, then I'll see about the telehealth.

Sherry, You might be right about the Gap masks having a gap, LOL. I don't like to go shopping on weekends because it's too crowded, so my trip to the Gap will have to wait until Monday. I'm going to try to make a quick trip there at lunch.

donnamp 07-18-20 08:04 AM

Hi Everyone,

This morning was a real blast from the past -

Prevention - Walk Your Way Slim w/ Michelle Dozois. This one came out in 2003, the year my DD was born! LOL. It is described as a "walking" workout, but it is really mixed impact aerobics with modifications for Level 1 - low impact, smaller moves, Level 2 - slightly higher impact, larger moves, and Level 3 -more high impact, even larger moves. It was a good one to re-visit, I honestly can't remember the last time I did it. I have it on DVD. I was thinking I should do a retro-workout challenge or something soon.

Robin Long/The Balanced Life - Strength & Stress Relief Challenge Day 1 - I signed up for this challenge on her website. The "live" challenge is over but if you sign up you'll get an e-mail each day w/ a link to the workout. This was a typical workout from Robin, which is not a bad thing, I like her.

Sherry - I like your avatar - is that your cat?

wishiwasinhawaii - I have appointments coming up soon, too, and I'm contemplating canceling. It is a tough choice b/c you wonder - is it worse to go an possibly expose myself or it is worse to skip and possibly miss a chance to catch something serious, early? I am feeling ok, so I will probably skip. I'm over due for a mammogram, but again, not sure of the risk. And honestly, not sure of the benefit either as almost everyone I know who has had breast cancer, found it themselves and some had clear mammograms within the past year of finding it. So.....I just wonder sometimes about all that.....

Hope everyone has a good day!!!

Donna

Leonana 07-18-20 09:34 PM

Today was a rest day. I did not sleep at all. I had a dentist appointment to put on my permanent crown, and I guess I was nervous about it. I'm not usually nervous about the dentist, I have a high pain threshold. I'm not sure if it was because of the virus. or my past anxiety over the cost of getting medical care. Probably both. However, my dentist's office is very good. Everyone is in masks, patients too until we are in the chair. They take my temperature when I walk in, and they had me wash my hands before I sat in the chair. I also had to fill out a form regarding virus symptoms. I like this office a lot, they did a good job on my teeth.

I can't remember if I mentioned it, but my Census training in on July 31. I go in for two hours, then do remote training. My guess is I will start the second week of August. I'm looking forward to it, although I'm nervous.

DD signed up for three classes with the community college. It will be online. I'm not sure if the campus is open, I think it isn't open this fall.

Donna, yes that is one of our three cats. That is Delilah. Her brother is Samson, but we call him Sammy. My husband named them. They are 14 years old now. Rajah, our orange tabby, is four years old. I chose Delilah's pic, because she poses better, lol.

DD just asked for a dog the other day. But I said no, I'm too overwhelmed with three pets at the moment. At one time, we had two dogs and three cats, and before that, two cats and three dogs. I think I'm too old for more than three at a time! I told her we should wait until August or September, and see what our schedules are like. I don't know, I'm still not over losing our two dogs.

wishiwasinhawaii, I'm supposed to go in for an echocardiogram in October. I guess it will depend on if my cardiologist's office is open. Fortunately, my yearly checkup with my GP was last February, so I guess I timed that right. I did go to the dentist, but that's hard to put off.

donnamp 07-19-20 09:47 AM

Hi Everyone,

This morning was:

Pahla B - 25 Min Low Impact Weight Loss Workout w/ Weights. This was a circuit workout - 20 seconds cardio, 10 seconds rest/setup, 20 seconds strength, 10 seconds rest/set up. There is something to Pahla's workouts. While I'm doing them I feel it isn't hard at all, but by the time I'm done I do feel like I worked out, but I'm not exhausted. So, I guess there is something to this moderation thing?

Jessica Valent Pilates - Barre w/ Small Ball - this was a 15 min barre style class

Robin Long/TBL - Strength & Stress Relief Challenge Day 2- Lower Body. I was expecting it to be floor work, but it was mainly standing! I should have previewed it first! But, I still enjoyed it. In fact, I'm considering doing some of TBL workouts I downloaded when I was a member this week.

Sherry - I hope you slept better last night. I have a dentist appointment in August. My DD and DH went, it the protocol was you sat in your car, they came out took your temp, asked health questions and then you were taken directly to the exam room (no waiting room) the dentist was in full PPE - including a mask and face shield. I think it is probably safe, but I'm still nervous about going. I suspect the Dentist is probably more worried about getting it from me than me getting it from her...but....and probably that is the more likely result. But still. I am leaning towards keeping the appointment b/c/ my tooth history is, if I neglect it, I end up paying a lot more later in terms of pain and $.. Not sure about going to my PCP or mammogram though.

I think my DD will probably do community college or attend the local university here if things are not looking up by next year. She wants to buy her horse, but I'm worried about the expense of upkeep. I do pay out a lot for his lease and her lessons, though, so I told her if she could make up the difference somehow between what I pay for lease/lessons and the cost of boarding I'd consider it. But, I don't want her to do anything now until we know what her college plans are - if she ends up going away it is going to be hard for her take care of him/ride him....and neither DH or I ride! I would like to get another dog, to keep my Golden company now that my Lab is getting so lame..my Golden misses having a playmate, but I'm thinking i may be crazy to have 3 dogs! LOL!

Waves, wishiwasinhawaii!!

Hope everyone has a good day -

Donna

Leonana 07-19-20 05:48 PM

Today was the Stretch and Flexibility workout from Gentle Yoga. I felt so relaxed afterwards, it was wonderful at making me feel better mentally. I slept better last night too, so that was nice.

Donna, I did go into the waiting room, but they had the labels on the floor on where to sit. With our high temps, I don't know that people would want to sit in their cars, even with the a/c on. There was a family in the waiting room, a mom and two kids, but I wasn't in the waiting room very long.

I think Pahla's workouts are more effective than they seem. When I did her workout yesterday, I felt that it did work my muscles, even though it moved slower. I used 5 pounds, and I don't think I could go higher than that in that workout.

It is hard when they ask for more animals, especially an expensive one! My daughter took riding lessons for about six months, but didn't stick with it. I was kind of relieved, because of the price. It was a good experience for her, however.

donnamp 07-20-20 07:03 AM

Hi Everyone,

To quote Pahla, woo doggies! Today's workout was Pahla's Low Impact No Repeat MetCon from her Weekly Challenge for Body Shaping. This was a tough one. From May, 2017. I think after this time frame she started to make her workouts a little bit more moderate. This workout was 50 seconds cardio and then 20 reps of a weighted exercise. It was pretty challenging. I also added on the linked warm-up and cool down.

I am off work this week, but not really going anywhere, there are quite a few projects around the house for me to work on. In a way, I feel silly taking the time off since there is nowhere to go during this pandemic, but I also have the time to use and I haven't had any real time off since Xmas. Plus, there are things that just need to get done at home that I can hopefully focus on now...including making tons of phone calls that I never have time for during the work day.

I will add on some Pilates or Yoga later, I was too wiped out this morning to do it! LOL!

Sherry - Glad you slept better!

waves, wishiwasinhawaii!

Donna

Leonana 07-20-20 03:02 PM

Today was housecleaning, I haven't done that in too long! So I decided to do a shorter strength workout, Total Body Timesaver from the Boost Metabolism DVD.

Donna, I hope you enjoy your time off! Sounds like it's a good time to get things done.

Waves to wishiwasinhawaii.

wishiwasinhawaii 07-20-20 07:32 PM

I can't believe how hot it is. I'm afraid what my electric bill is going to look like. This morning was a resistance workout in the 22MHC rotation. Tomorrow is a rest day, which is good because I have an early meeting and wouldn't have been able to do a workout anyway. It gets too hot later in the day so it's morning or nothing!

Donna, I've been taking days off here and there and it helps break up the monotony since we don't go too many places these days. I don't have any pets, but my brother just got a puppy and it's so cute. I've only been able to visit the puppy a couple of times due to the pandemic, unfortunately.

Sherry, I have a eye exam in early August. I don't want to go, but it's getting to the point where I need new glasses and can't put it off too much longer. Not sure what to do.

donnamp 07-21-20 07:49 AM

Hi Everyone,

This morning's workout w/ Pahla was much more gentle!

Pahla B - Cardio Stretch Full Body Workout - this one was cardio and stretch intervals. It was an "active recovery" on Pahla's mini challenge for this week and worked well for that purpose!

Trifecta Pilates - Ease into Strength - I enjoyed this one - it was about 30 minute and focused on both strengthening the abs mainly and stretching out low back, hips and hamstrings. The purpose of the workout is to prep for rollover, roll ups, and teasers.

Yesterday I worked on decluttering my home office including desk and closet. It was a bit of a workout in and of itself but things are looking better. I have more to do in there today and other like projects on the agenda for this week.

Sherry -the decluttering and cleaning is a workout, LOL! I'm sore and tired. So I was glad it was an active recovery day today!

wishiwasinhawaii - hot here, too, and humid!!!! I'm glad to get stuff done around the house, it needed to be done and back in normal times there was no time to do it!

Hope everyone has a good day!

Donna

donnamp 07-22-20 07:11 AM

Hi Everyone,

This morning was:

Pahla B - Strength Workout w/ Dumbbells for Women over 50. This is one that would look easy upon viewing but it not quite as easy as it seems when doing! LOL!

Trifecta Pilates - Posture & Plank Workout. I get in the mood for Trifecta Pilates from time to time. I think if I really had the patience and persistence, I would get a lot out of her workouts - but, alas, boredom often strikes.....

It feels good to be getting rid of some clutter, I felt very stagnant ever since this COVID thing hit...well, TBH, for longer than that, but the COVID was the icing on the cake.

Waves,

Donna

donnamp 07-22-20 07:16 AM

Oh, I forgot to mention, my DD got the data entry job she applied for. She starts next week. it is 20 hours per week. i'm sort of worried about her being in an office but since it is a bio-tech company, my guess it that they are following the "rules" (masks, social distancing, hopefully screening, etc.) and it will be relatively safe. She says the barn is probably worse, even w/ them being outside, since the younger kids have trouble following social distancing and mask wearing rules. Understandably kids have a hard time keeping their hands to themselves! :)

Her friend works there and says they are good about safety. Fingers crossed.

I feel better about this than the mall, where you can have so many people coming and going and not everyone complying with the new rules...... although, in general, I think we do a pretty good job here.

Hope everyone has a good day -

Donna

wishiwasinhawaii 07-22-20 07:34 AM

Yesterday was a rest day and all I did was walk around the house for about 45 minutes while I talked to a long-winded friend on the phone. I walked about 2 miles just walking in circles! This morning was a resistance workout from 22MHC. I hadn't done this one before and it was tough, but I did some modifying. I bought this program 4 years ago and tried to do it back then and didn't get very far, so I'm happy that I've made it to week 3. I'm definitely in better shape now than I was then and being able to work from home has a lot to do with that.

Donna, Congrats to your DD! That job sounds good and I'm sure they're complying with all the safety protocols in place. Plus, she's not there 40 hours a week so it should be fine. They should tell her before she starts what rules to follow so she'll have a better idea then. I've been too busy with work to do any decluttering, but once this meeting is over in August, I'm going to take a few days off.

Waves!

Leonana 07-23-20 12:12 AM

Yesterday was a rest day. I watched my friends’ four year old daughter again. I think the grandmothers are out of town. Boy, where do they get the energy lol. She wore me out! It’s a real treat to watch her though. She’s so cute and funny.

Today was Jessica’s Back Friendly Strength workout and 8 Minute LI HIIT.

Donna, congrats to your dd on the job. I’m sure she will be fine.

wishiwasinhawaii, I need to try that walking idea when talking to my sister. She talks for an hour! But she lives by herself and is lonely. I need to call her tomorrow.

donnamp 07-23-20 07:18 AM

Hi Everyone,

Yesterday, in between my decluttering, I walked on the TM while listening to Pahla's weekly podcast - about control and things you can/can't control. It was only 20 minutes, but good for steps. Sometimes decluttering doesn't get you many steps, LOL.

I can't decide if today will be another declutter day or if I will give myself a break and do something else. Although w/ COVID, there aren't many options for places go to and the weather is very hot and humid here.

Anyway - workouts for today so far:

Pahla B - 25 Min Low Impact Power Walk
Trifecta Pilates - "Control" 22 Min version (this is from her principles of Pilates program - the longer workout was scheduled for today but I didn't feel I had the attention span for it!)

Sherry - I would be wiped out from watching a 4 year old, too!!

waves, wishiwasinhawaii!!

Donna

donnamp 07-24-20 07:40 AM

Hi Everyone,

This morning was:

Pahla's 31 Day Program Day 28 - this was a body weight/balance workout. It moved slowly using Pahla's "cardio" moves so as to work your balance. 20 seconds work, 10 seconds rest.

Trifecta Pilates - Looped Resistance Band Workout - this was interesting. Beth used 2 circular resistance bands - one around the legs and the other around the arms for various exercises. I like the way she mixed equipment into her workouts, it definitely adds some good variety.

I didn't make it too far w/ decluttering yesterday. I wasn't in the mood for purging, so I wasn't very successful, although I know very well there are workouts in my closet I will probably never ever do. Drop 2 Sizes, anyone?!

Donna

wishiwasinhawaii 07-24-20 09:47 AM

Today was a resistance workout. I've been swamped with work so haven't had time to post the past couple of days.

My nephew got his test result back and he is negative, thank goodness.

Donna, I have that Drop 2 Sizes workout too. I never even opened it! I tried to sell it and got no takers so I think I'll just donate it. Once this meeting at work is over, I'm going to try to get back to decluttering. It's too hot right now anyway. If the heat continues, I may put it off until the fall.

Waves, Sherry!

donnamp 07-24-20 10:50 AM

That is great news, wishiwasinhawaii! I think I did the first few workouts from Drop 2 Sizes, way back when....and, as I recall, they weren't easy and I think they were on the long side...although I can't remember.

I keep thinking that "someday" when I'm retired, I'll have more time for longer workouts - but not sure that I would want to do this type of workout!! I should preview again it has been years since I looked at it.

Donna

Leonana 07-24-20 01:05 PM

Yesterday was the 37 Minute fusion cardio workout from Jessica's Fusion dvd. No workout today, I got up late this morning and did not fit it in today. I ate all kinds of fattening stuff too! I guess I'll count today as a mental health day.

Starbucks has changed their scheduling to a block schedule. My dd is on mornings only. That way she is working with the same co-workers every week. I guess that is how Starbucks is handling exposure. I'm glad she is with a company like Starbucks.

Donna, I hope the decluttering is going well.

wishiwasinhawaii, that is great news about your nephew.

donnamp 07-25-20 12:14 PM

Hi Everyone,

Today's workout were:

Treadmill Walk - while listening to Pahla B's Let's Run Podcast on what she eats. Just like she is w/ exercise, her advice is to do what works for you. It is refreshing to find a fitness professional who is not trying to "sell" you on their way of doing things. This was in the 35-40 min range.

Pahla's Hot 100 Day 99 - which was a yoga stretch which felt good after the walk.

I'm thinking a combo that would work for me right now would be - Pahla's weekly challenge plus Pilates plus walking at least 3X per week.

Sherry -that makes sense about the block scheduling at Starbucks. I'm glad the companies are coming up with ways to deal with this.

wishiwasinhawaii - hope all is well!

Donna

Leonana 07-25-20 05:10 PM

Today was a Pahla you tube workout, 25 Minute Standing Strength Workout for Sciatica. I don't think I have sciatica, but my right glute is always sore, or maybe strained. It bothers me more when I sit on our couch. I'm not sure if it's how I'm sitting or my workouts. I did enjoy the workout, although I muted her and used the cc, lol. I used five pounds in this one. At first it seemed too slow, then I was able to adjust. It seems to be just as challenging slower. I also liked the glute stretching that was in it.

Donna, that's good that Pahla isn't trying to sell an eating plan. Jessica doesn't either, and I appreciate that.

wishiwasinhawaii 07-26-20 08:09 AM

Today was a resistance workout from 22MHC. This is the last day of week 3 and I'm getting kind of bored so I might go back to Jessica next week. I really want to like 22MHC, but it's too repetitive.

I've never tried Pahla so I'll have to look into her stuff. Is it mostly pilates?

Donna, How is DD doing at her data entry job? My nephew is working at the convenience store one more week and then he has to quit to go back to college.

Sherry, The way Starbucks is scheduling is interesting. Around here, those types of places are only doing drive thru. Is it the same there?

It's so hot here. I used to love summer, but now I can't wait for fall!

donnamp 07-26-20 08:18 AM

Hi Everyone,

Today was:

Pahla's Standing Strength Workout for Sciatica - this is one I should probably add in a few times a week for core strengthening. I prefer to do the knee to chest and figure four move on the floor though -but Pahla would say to make it my own!

I also did - Trifecta Pilates - Circle Strength Pilates workout - this one used the "magic circle" and was a good one. I think Beth does her best work w/ equipment - it makes it more interesting.

Sherry - we were workout twins! :) I also appreciate that Jessica doesn't preach one way of doing anything over another.

wishiwasinhawaii - my DD starts her job tomorrow - she was at the barn this past week. What is college going to look like for your nephew? And, did I mention that I'm glad his test came back negative?

I could do without the extreme heat and humidity of summer - I feel it is almost as confining as winter - but, all that being said, I prefer this to cold so I'll deal with it, LOL! When it is cold I don't want to leave the house at all -at least in the summer I can bear to leave and go outdoors, it is just that it is hard to do outdoor activities for any length of time.

Donna

wishiwasinhawaii 07-26-20 05:46 PM

Donna, My older nephew will be a senior and he is going to live near the campus because he has an apartment that he had already paid for before COVID happened and was not able to get a refund. He has some classes with labs that have to be done on campus so he will have to attend those in person, so it's probably better that he lives there. Those classes are small so it should be ok, plus, we only live a half hour from there so he can always come home if things get bad again with the virus. My younger nephew will be a freshman and he's staying home because all freshmen classes are going to be online. The college reduced tuition for everyone so the costs are going to be less than usual.

Leonana 07-26-20 07:03 PM

Today was miles 1 and 2, with WU and CD, from Jessica's Power Walk dvd.

I go to training for my Census work this Friday. I'm a bit nervous! It's only two hours in the office, since we have to social distance and wear masks. The rest of the training will be at home. The coordinator told me over the phone that I will probably need to keep the whole day free, because there will be online work to do that day. However, I am excited about getting out of the house. The sadness gets to me some days.

My dd has signed up for three online classes at the community college. It's all online this year. One of them is sign language. From what I understand, the whole class and teacher are online at the same time. I guess she would need to see the teacher for sign language. And she does struggle with math. I hope she can do the online math class. But I guess she can get some sort of online tutoring if she needs it.

wishiwasinhawaii, Starbucks has drive through and in store pickup. However, they can't stay inside and sit. During our one month of shut down, it was drive through only. Restaurants can open at 50% capacity, however, most fast food places are still drive through only. Some you can go in and order and pick up.

Donna, we were twins! I'm similar, I can't stand the cold. I guess I live in the right place, lol. We had some rain on Friday, and that was nice. But it's back to the high temps again.

donnamp 07-27-20 07:16 AM

Hi Everyone,

Today was:

Pahla B- Knee Friendly Cardio and Knee Strengthening exercises. This one was a "step stool" - 15 seconds of Exercise A, rest, 15 seconds of Exercise A, 15 seconds Exercise B, rest, 15 Seconds of Exercise A, 15 Seconds of Exercise B and 15 Seconds of Exercise C. Then rest and repeat the circuit again. There were 5 circuits. Her cardio moves are simple, and it they don't seem like they would be effective, but at the end, you do feel like you worked out. The knee strengthening portion used a chair and worked on hip flexors and quads.

Jessica Valent Pilates - Cardio Pilates - Jessica posted this one a week or so ago - it is a more flow focused workout. About 15 minutes.

I think for this week I will mainly do Pahla and Jessica w/ some Trifecta and/or Ellen thrown in....

Back to work today. I have another week off in about 3 weeks though, so at least it isn't like I have a long stretch to go before the next break.

Interesting about the on-line college. I guess we will see what is happening next year for college...heck, I'm not sure what we're doing for H.S. next school year. I think they will decide this week.

Sherry - good luck w/ your training. My DD starts her data entry job today. She has two math classes next year - for her senior year - and she is not a fan of math either. So we shall see how it goes if it is on-line.

wishiwasinhawaii -it is good that the tuition was reduced since most of the classes are on-line.

Donna

wishiwasinhawaii 07-27-20 01:10 PM

Today was a cardio workout from 22MHC. This was the last workout for week 4 and I just wanted to finish out the week before I move on to something else. This is an 8 week program, but it's very repetitive and I'm bored, plus I'm afraid I'm going to get a repetitive stress injury if I continue. There are a ton of burpees and other similar types of exercises, like mountain climbers, etc.

I'm taking a rest day tomorrow and then I'm going to redo Calm & Strong. I liked that one, but this time I'm going to do all the youtube options since I did the DVD options last time, just to do something different.

Donna, Hope your DD's first day at work goes well. It's good you're using your vacation time. Might as well. I need to use more of mine. Is Pahla's stuff all on youtube?

Sherry, Glad to hear you can start your census training! Restaurants here are still not open for indoor seating. Quite a few have opened outdoor eating areas, which is fine for the summer, but not sure what they'll do when winter comes. I think places like Starbucks and Dunkin Donuts are drive-thru only. I know fast food places are.

Leonana 07-27-20 09:41 PM

Today was Jessica you tube workouts. FITIN15 Sculpt and Slim, 10 Minute Upper Body workout and 10 Minute Lower Body workout. I used my 4 pound weights for Sculpt and Slim, and six pounds for the 10 Minute Upper Body workout. I did skip the pushups in the 10 Minute workout, since they were in Sculpt and Slim.

I've been checking the NPR COVID Map, and it shows that Arizona's cases are going down, along with Texas and Utah. That is good news for us.

I did watch a you tube video by Dr. Mike interviewing a pediatric specialist about opening schools. Basically, they don't really know the right answer, because there isn't enough information yet. However, Dr. Epstein did say that current information shows that COIVD mortality rate for children is much lower than the flu. He recommends opening schools, and said most pediatricians do too. They are worried about the developmental levels of the kids. And then there are parents who work, or low income school districts who can't do online. However, they didn't really address older kids, like high school. The comment section was not in favor, and most people think schools should stay closed. I really think he should have interviewed a teacher too.

Donna, I feel like Pahla might be the right intensity for me, and they seem really effective. But I feel so much better with Jessica, the workouts really work off the stress for me, and I sleep better. But I like Pahla for a change.

wishiwasinhawaii, I like Calm and Strong too. I think I did the easiest one each day, lol. Here, we dine out more often in the late fall, winter and early spring months. It's too hot in the summer, even in the evening.

donnamp 07-28-20 05:29 AM

Hi,

wishiwasinhawaii - 4 weeks of a rotation is about my limit, too! I liked Calm & Strong, and it is a good idea to use the You Tube workouts this time around. I may do the same at some point!

Our restaurant situation is similar here - I'm not sure if indoor dining is permitted or not - it may be at a reduced capacity - but I'm not sure since I haven't had the desire to eat in a restaurant since this happened. Outdoor is open, and many restaurants have started using their parking lots for extra seating, some cities/towns have blocked traffic on certain roads to allow restaurants to expand their outdoor seating. Drive through and carry out is open for most places. I don't know what happens in winter, though when sitting outdoors isn't possible.

Sherry - I know what you mean - you do need a certain amount of intensity to burn off stress! I guess that is the purpose of "calm and strong"! I like the way you combined workouts w/ Jessica. The whole school thing is so difficult b/c I agree that kids, particularly younger kids, are going to suffer developmentally by not being in school. And parents who can't work from home. It is just a mess. I think older kids suffer but not in the same way. I just hope things get better!

Off to workout-

Donna