Video Fitness Forum

Video Fitness Forum (http://forum.videofitness.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://forum.videofitness.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Piyo? (http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=218923)

PhyllisG 02-23-17 07:58 AM

Piyo?

Anyone still using Piyo? What are your thoughts? I have seen infomercials for Piyo a couple of times in the last few weeks. I had it, traded it when it first came out. Then I was tempted again last year I think. This is kind of a repeat from the thread I started then. I am much more involved with yoga now and wondered if I would have a different perspective.

furmomof6 02-23-17 08:09 AM

Sorry I can't answer but I'm so glad you asked! I've been going back and forth on wanting to try this set for at least a year now, lol. I saw the infomercial last weekend and of course it sparked my interest again. Side note... I thought Chalene looked adorable in the commercial. I loved her hair cut! She always seems so joyful.

eam531 02-23-17 08:19 AM

I bought PiYo recently and have done a few workouts.

I think it's primarily bodyweight workouts with some yoga-esque elements and, at least from what i have seen so far, not much that I'd call "pilates".

That said, it's fun. I have enjoyed the workouts I've done. I got the basic package, not the one with the gliders.

If you're looking for a true yoga-based program, Ultimate Yogi or Yoga Warrior 365 are a couple of good ones. However, the practices are a 50-65 minutes. A good thing about PiYo is the shorter workout length.

toaster 02-23-17 08:53 AM

I picked up Piyo at a used book sale last fall. I like some of the workouts, but as Betsy suggested, it's not really Pilates, and it's not really yoga, either. I would say it's a bit more yoga than Pilates--a few of the workouts have Chalene's version of a sun salutation, and there are a few actual yoga poses, like warrior and down dog--but really, it's more bodyweight toning like Betsy suggested.

laurajhawk 02-23-17 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eam531 (Post 2696041)

If you're looking for a true yoga-based program, Ultimate Yogi or Yoga Warrior 365 are a couple of good ones. However, the practices are a 50-65 minutes. A good thing about PiYo is the shorter workout length.

Yoga 30for30 is very much the "30-minute Ultimate Yogi", although it is streaming/download only.

ebianco 02-23-17 11:45 AM

I haven't given the series a decent try, that's for sure, I've only done the Sculpt 30 minute workout (IIRC). I love Chalene in her Turbo Jam/Fire workouts and enjoy her goofiness usually. But I was turned off because she made a comment (I think while pulsing in plie or curtsey lunge) about how "this is more painful than an epidural." (roll eyes smiley) I thought that was an over the top comment for a medium intensity workout-or any workout? Also, I guess from my barre work, her definition of high reps and mine is a little different. It just didn't seem challenging enough. Nor fusiony enough, I was expecting something more like Jillian Michaels' Yoga Inferno, which I've done recently and thought it was a decent challenge. Or even JM's Yoga Meltdown which is a little easier but still thought it captured the essence of yoga+toning more than Piyo. Or better yet, Michelle Dozios' 360 workout or something like Dream Body.

I agree with others that there doesn't seem like much a pilates influence at all, more yoga with bodyweight toning.

However, I haven't tried what are supposed to be some of the harder workouts yet, the gliding and Drench, so I should give those a try and hopefully have a better experience.

sherry7899 02-23-17 11:46 AM

I had it and sold it on VF Roost. If you have any kind of shoulder issues, stay away from it.

Sherry

Sissy B 02-23-17 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sherry7899 (Post 2696103)
I had it and sold it on VF Roost. If you have any kind of shoulder issues, stay away from it.

Sherry

Good to know. I watched the infomercial yesterday and was mildly interested. But if it's not really a true yoga/pilates fusion and it's tough on the shoulders I'm out.

PhyllisG 02-23-17 01:07 PM

I had it. I tried it. I traded it. Why would I think I would like it a second time around? My first instincts were right. I disliked it for all of the above reasons.Thanks for saving me from thinking anything more about it.
They did make a good informercial.

gmfreund 02-23-17 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sherry7899 (Post 2696103)

Sherry

Proof that we're all different - I'm working on a shoulder issue caused mostly by poor posture and my shoulders feel better than ever after doing PiYo.

Overall, it's an unusual set. I find it challenging. It's quite repetitious, the music is very bland, and some of the workouts are just odd. But like I said, I like the way it feels on my shoulders and upper back.

Gwynn