Video Fitness Forum

Video Fitness Forum (http://forum.videofitness.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://forum.videofitness.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Power Yoga: Mind and Body--Adrienne Reed Yoga Program on PBS (http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=91557)

willwolf 09-07-06 03:28 AM

Power Yoga: Mind and Body--Adrienne Reed Yoga Program on PBS

Recently, I've come across a yoga show on PBS called Power Yoga: Mind and Body. Adrienne Reed is the instructor. She walks around, instructing a class of maybe 4-6 students. I believe this is the same woman who has the DVD, Power Yoga for Athletes. This TV program is 30 minutes, and it's on 2 or 3 mornings per week at 5am. I have DISH Network, and the on-screen program guide gives descriptions of the focus/poses for each episode. These are dated 2006, so I assume this is a current show. The 2 PBS stations that run this show in my area (both at 5am, I think Tuesdays and Thursdays) are KVCR and KLCS. Personally, I haven't tried participating along with the show, as I'm definitely not an early bird (when I run across this program at 5am, I haven't just awakened--I'm still up from the previous night! :o ). However, I thought that there might be some early bird yogis out there somewhere who would be interested in checking this out.

yogini_michelle 09-07-06 06:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willwolf
Recently, I've come across a yoga show on PBS called Power Yoga: Mind and Body. Adrienne Reed is the instructor. She walks around, instructing a class of maybe 4-6 students. I believe this is the same woman who has the DVD, Power Yoga for Athletes. This TV program is 30 minutes, and it's on 2 or 3 mornings per week at 5am. I have DISH Network, and the on-screen program guide gives descriptions of the focus/poses for each episode. These are dated 2006, so I assume this is a current show. The 2 PBS stations that run this show in my area (both at 5am, I think Tuesdays and Thursdays) are KVCR and KLCS. Personally, I haven't tried participating along with the show, as I'm definitely not an early bird (when I run across this program at 5am, I haven't just awakened--I'm still up from the previous night! :o ). However, I thought that there might be some early bird yogis out there somewhere who would be interested in checking this out.

I came across this program last week. I had a heck of a time searching for when they come on here because they aren't on a normal PBS channel. After some research i found that it only comes on during the weekend at 6am. So i've been taping :D them cause I loved that first blancing flow she had on the first episode I stumbled across. I'm very interested in her DVD and I noticed on her website is that she will be coming out with another one or two soon.

KathAL79 09-07-06 03:55 PM

Wow, I had no idea she had a TV series, assuming it is the same Adrienne Reed who did Power Yoga for Athletes (which I just reviewed the other week). I like Adrienne as an instructor. Nothing fancy, but nothing too egregious, either. She has a pleasant personality and presence in the DVD.

willwolf 09-07-06 04:31 PM

Kath, I'm pretty sure this is the same Adrienne Reed. I don't have her DVD, but I've seen pictures of her online. I need to get a DVR, so I can record a few episodes. I've only seen it at 5am where I'm at, which is way too early for me.

yoni 09-07-06 05:27 PM

She already has 3 new DVD's available for preorder at her website:
http://www.adriennereed.com/BoxedSet.htm

KathAL79 09-07-06 05:34 PM

Willwolf, I'm sure you're right.

Yoni, thanks for the link! Since my main problem with Power Yoga for Athletes was my person elbow issue, I'll consider those, especially the Flexibility one, if someone can assure me they don't have a long chaturanga series!

willwolf 09-07-06 05:59 PM

Yoni, those new DVDs of hers look interesting. I like that they're broken down into short, medium, and longer segments. Adrienne looks different in these newer offerings; her hair is longer. On her PBS show, she looks the same as in her Power Yoga for Athletes DVD.

KathAL79 09-07-06 06:07 PM

So her site confirms she is indeed the one and the same.

I'm very intrigued by the description of her Flexibility one now:
Quote:

The DVD includes three practices:
a 20-minute segment focused on hips and shoulders;
a 40-minute segment that works leg flexibility and backbends;
and a 60-minute segment that includes splits, twists and advanced poses that will challenge your flexibility.

Stretch yourself in ways you've never stretched before! Find a new muscle that you've never used before!
Gain a lean, tone body with Ultimate Flexibility.

laurajhawk 09-08-06 10:38 AM

Ooh, the new series sounds good (except maybe the 60-minute Core routine :p ). I like the three practices per disk; that would be great for me. Can't wait for the reviews!

slimmom 09-08-06 12:48 PM

I LOVE these- i've DVR'd about 25 of them and labeled them - I can pick which body part I want to work in a reasonable amount of time!!